We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dog-friendly places in the Cape Ann Area? Please help!

Hudson River...
3 posts
Save Topic
Dog-friendly places in the Cape Ann Area? Please help!

We are frequent travelers to Rockport and Gloucester. This is our first year vacationing with a dog. He in a 10 month old standard poodle (55lbs). We also have kids 7 & 11.

I am looking for insider tips on enjoying the area with a bigger dog in tow. We keep him leashed. We love the outdoors. I understand Halibut Point is OK, but that most all the beaches are off limits until Sept 15 of 30.

Is there any place he can see the ocean via a beach without breaking rules?

All tips appreciated!

3 replies to this topic
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dog-friendly places in the Cape Ann Area? Please help!

It's significantly further south than Rockport and Gloucester, but there is a year-round "dog beach" on Nahant.

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
3,157 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dog-friendly places in the Cape Ann Area? Please help!

All public beaches in the area do not allow dogs until after Sept 15. I know of no particular beach on Cape Ann that you can legitimately get your dog on before that.

suzabana, I'm not sure what Nahant beach you mean. The Lynn/Nahant Long beach all the way to the Tides Restaurant has signs saying no dogs until Sept 15. Possibly Short beach?

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dog-friendly places in the Cape Ann Area? Please help!

Not Short beach, but on the other side. The Nahant dog beach is after little Nahant (and the Tides) going toward big Nahant, opposite the Life Saving Station and facing Revere. It's not a beach I would enjoy swimming at, but there is a sign indicating that it's a dog beach. Locals know it as such and we used to bring our dog there before he died.

Reply to: Dog-friendly places in the Cape Ann Area? Please help!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cape Ann