We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weifang Kite Festival

Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Weifang Kite Festival

Has anyone been to the Weifang Kite Festival in April? This is our families first trip to China and with no mandarin speakers i'm wondering if it's a bit ambitious to go to this, sounds awesome though. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Weifang
Weifang
Shandong, China
6 replies to this topic
Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
44,469 posts
824 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weifang Kite Festival

I went there. Very little English is spoken at Weifang. As anywhere in China, you can mamage if you are well prepared. I would say that this is a challenge for a first timer but it really depends on you. Some people are better travelers and can manage these difficulties better than others.

Mentioned in this post
Weifang
Weifang
Shandong, China
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weifang Kite Festival

Thanks so much for getting back to me. Both myself and partner have done quite a bit of independent travel but not since we've had children. The kids are 8 and 10 now and I think they'd really enjoy the kite festival, but as you say, not being able to communicate makes things difficult. We'll have to have a think - this would be near the end of our 3.5 week trip so we might all be a bit exhausted by then anyway.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weifang Kite Festival

Hi

Haven't been before but am going this year. I live in Beijing which is about 3 hours by train. I'm just going for the Saturday. Did you need some help?

Mentioned in this post
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weifang Kite Festival

Hi

Thanks for the kind offer. We've decided to give it a go. We don't have tickets to the opening ceremony, but we've been told they're not on sale yet and "Don't worry" - does that sound normal to you given the event's only 3 weeks away? So I guess in answer to your question I don't really know if we need any help - might be a case of ignorance being bliss until we get there and it all goes pear-shaped. If you have any particular advice it would be gratefully received.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weifang Kite Festival

hi

I'll probably miss the opening ceremony as I'll arrive about 10 in the morning. I can't really offer much advice as I haven't ever been there. Are you arriving by train?

Don't worry'' is a typical phrase, I think people generally allow things to happen in their own time and actually there isn't any point in worrying. Something probably will go pear shaped, but not in anyway you expect. - That's China! Enjoy.

Mentioned in this post
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weifang Kite Festival

Yep, we'll be arriving by train on the Friday evening, then heading to Beijing on Sunday. Looking forward to it.

Mentioned in this post
Reply to: Weifang Kite Festival
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Weifang