We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Naples to Atrani

Amarillo, Texas
7 posts
Save Topic
Travel from Naples to Atrani

We are arriving in Naples Sunday June 26 at 5:30pm. Will we be able to take public transportation to Atrani that evening? All the bus schedules I find are in Italian!?

17 replies to this topic
Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
14,191 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel from Naples to Atrani

Funny how that happens, bus schedules in Italian in Italy.

Are you arriving at the airport or the train station? That will make a difference.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,753 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel from Naples to Atrani

This is a good time to realize that you will find quite a lot not in English (obviously) - given that it is Italy.

Don't expect everything translated into English - by a long shot.

A good phrase/dictionary (English/Italian) or app or whatever will be a good friend to you....

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,775 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel from Naples to Atrani

It will be a laborious trip and take over three hours even with decent connections. Ferry is not an option as they stop running from Salerno at around 5.00pm.

A car service door to door will cost you around 150 euro.

Amarillo, Texas
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel from Naples to Atrani

Haha! I was being facetious about the bus schedules being in Italian! ;)

We will be arriving at the airport :)

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
4,047 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel from Naples to Atrani

Our flight to Naples was even later, so we simply planned in advance to spend one night in Naples, and walk around the city the next day before heading to the Amalfi Coast. After all, the plane could be late. Now, if you only a few days in the area, you might not want to include scenic, historic, urban Naples in your touring. But we were glad enough to see the Archaeological Museum and have local pizza.

Depending on your budget, there is a lot to be said for a sedan transfer. We went to Sorrento (much, much easier) by Circumvesuviana train, but it was unpleasant enough that, combined with the need for an overpriced local taxi to the hotel, that we ordered a car (from the hotel's transfer partner ... ) for our return to Naples. Think now about your departure day from Atrani, since you may find that a time-consuming trip as well. You didn't say what the next stop is.

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
14,191 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel from Naples to Atrani

Sundays are a bit of a problem as several of the bus lines don't run but you'd be too late anyway.

I think that the easiest route is to go to Salerno and take the bus from there. To do this you'd take the Alibus from the airport to Napoli Centrale, where you'd get a train to Salerno.

At Salerno you can get a SITA bus to Atrani.

The Alibus is 3 Euro if you buy your ticket in the airport or 4 Euro if you purchase from the driver. Here's the schedule: anm.it/images/…20municipio.pdf

Assuming that your flight is on time and you don't get held up long waiting for luggage, you can be at Napoli Centrale around 7 PM. A regional train to Salerno costs less than 5 Euro and takes about 45 minutes to get there.

Here's the current SITA bus schedule for Salerno - Atrani. There will be another schedule posted in mid-June that may have an even later bus, at this point the last bus on a Sunday is at 8:30 PM. When reading the schedule Sunday buses are either G (every day of the week) or H (Sundays and holidays).http://www.sitasudtrasporti.it/archivio/Download/corse/sitasud/Campania/Salerno/f07a29a4-4fba-4c1b-a377-30b793019411_QUADROXV_2016_primavera.pdf/0

Amarillo, Texas
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel from Naples to Atrani

Thank you! We had already arranged private transfer back to Naples for our departure since it will be so early. Sounds like my best bet would be to go ahead and book him for arrival as well. Thank you all for your info! And that bus schedule will be a huge help while we're there! :)

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,775 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel from Naples to Atrani

The bus will only be a help if you're heading south to Salerno, otherwise use the ferries. You can walk from Atrani to Amalfi and take the ferry from there.

Don't walk along the road, use the paths that the locals use.

Amarillo, Texas
7 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel from Naples to Atrani

Thank you Kathy!

Wagga Wagga...
Level Contributor
47 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel from Naples to Atrani

Hi,

I was wondering how your private transfers worked out? My sister and I will be travelling Naples to Atrani on 20Sep this year and I think the private transfer seems much simpler than trains etc. Could you please let me know the cost of the transfer and the details of the company you used.

many thanks.

Reply to: Travel from Naples to Atrani
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Atrani
More Atrani Topics