We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jake's Treasure Beach

Deptford, New Jersey
Level Contributor
160 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Jake's Treasure Beach

Hi. I'm trying to get some info on Jake's. I am thinking of booking something different other than an AI. I would normally stay at places like Couples Negril.

Is there any beach that you can actually swim or wade in?

What do you do all day? I ask because normally I'd be in the ocean. We like to spend 12 hours at the beach.

Do they play music throughout the day?

What do you do at night? Is there any entertainment?

Would a whole week be too long? Would a 3 full days be too short?

Any other info you want to mention would be helpful.

16 replies to this topic
Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
128 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jake's Treasure Beach

Hi there-We didn't stay at Jakes, but visited for lunch, dinner, and drinks a couple of times when we were in TB. As far as a beach, there really isn't one right there. It is pretty rocky right in front of the pool and restaurant if I remember correctly. A really good beach is less than a 5 minute walk away if sand is what you are looking for.

As far as what to do, we had bicycles so we biked all over the place finding new beaches, and seaside shacks serving food along the way. If beaches are what you are after, contact Captain Dennis (aka Shabba) he can take you on a boat tour basically anywhere you want to go. We went to the Pelican Bar after he cooked us lunch on a deserted beach which was amazing.

Music-I remember some through speakers throughout the day, not sure at night though. I know we saw a guitarist at Jack Sprats down the road one night.

As far as how long to spend there, we were there for a week and I could have stayed forever. If action and nightlife is what you are after, TB may not be for you on this trip. If you are looking for a relaxing time in paradise, then book it.

Deptford, New Jersey
Level Contributor
160 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jake's Treasure Beach

Your info is helpful. I was considering booking for 4 to 5 days then staying in Negril for a week or so.

Midwest
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
454 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jake's Treasure Beach

We stayed at Jake's in January and thoroughly enjoyed it. Jakes is very low-key and beautiful - and about as different from a Couples-type AI experience as you can get.

There is no waterfront beach at Jake's. The coastline there is all rocks. The closest ocean beach is up at the end of the Jake's property, near Jack Sprat. And, there are several other beaches within walking distance.

We relaxed all day - sat around our villa, spent time down on the dock and pool area at Jake's, hung around the bar there, walked around Treasure Beach. Mostly, we spent time on other beaches in TB.

They do not play music throughout the day.

Evenings are pretty low-key (and this is when we found we missed the AI experience). There isn't much to do. You can hang around the bar area, or go visit restaurants/bars in town. You really have to make your own fun.

As for length of stay, it really depends... We were there for 3 days and by the end, were in the frame of mind that we were ready for the pampering and energy of the AI we were headed for. But, we also plan to go back to TB soon when we're in the mood to just wake, bake and drink and do nothing for a week.

Deptford, New Jersey
Level Contributor
160 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jake's Treasure Beach

Ty for your info. That's how I think it would go for us too. Maybe I will stay a few days and then go to an AI.

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio, Treasure Beach
Level Contributor
13,110 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jake's Treasure Beach

Jake's had added a new waterfront sandy "thing" that was new to me in January - I took pics - travelsinjamaica.com/2017/02/sunset-at-jakes… - I have a lot of posts about TB, especially from this past January, several include Jake's.

That said, you can hang out on "Jack Sprat" beach, Calabash Bay (both very close) or Frenchman's - a 10 minute walk. Frenchman's has the most going on, a couple of bars (Eggy's, Frenchmans Reef).

At night we went out for dinner and had invites to go to live music and such but were usually too tired. Sometimes the sports park has something going on,we had a great night at a boxing match of all things, giant party really. Easy walk from Jake's there.

TB is a very nice place to try non-AI as there isn't any of the hassle/hustle many dislike about the major tourist areas. People are friendly and helpful and chill.

We don't get bored but we go on boat trips, rent a scooter or bike for a day, do a road trip one day, and spend lots of time just walking around and swimming and stuff. I hope you love it as much as we do.

Deptford, New Jersey
Level Contributor
160 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jake's Treasure Beach

That all sounds great!

Nebraska
Level Contributor
280 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jake's Treasure Beach

Be sure to read ohliz's blog. Great photos and great information!!

Edited: 18 August 2017, 05:00
Deptford, New Jersey
Level Contributor
160 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jake's Treasure Beach

Will do!

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio, Treasure Beach
Level Contributor
13,110 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jake's Treasure Beach

Thanks guys, I write that blog to help people out if i can so thank you :)

Jake's is very central, easy to walk to a lot from there. They can arrange anything you may want to do and see too - YS Falls, Black River (by boat), Pelican Bar (by boat), Lover's Leap (we scootered but of course a car can go), bike or scooter rental (two places nearby, at least), Milk River Bath (radioactive old-style mineral spring spa - we were by far the youngest people there), go see manatees or totally deserted beach and crystal clear river at Guts River, check out the mountain town of Mandeville, or the cockpits (from the south) - Accompong maroon town, various rivers-caves-hikes up there, Little Ochi for seafood on the beach, you sit in boats on stilts, fishing if you like, a little shore snorkeling possible in spots. All that is within a about an hour or (for Milk River, Guts River), two.

Jake's bar is nice too, non-guests stop in for sunset or whenever so it's not usually dull. I love the cushions and lanterns and things they put around the seating areas and saltwater pool.

Treasure Tours is kindof the big fish in this pond and their tours will give you an idea of what is possible and what it costs: treasuretoursjamaica.com/tours_menu.cfm

Edited: 18 August 2017, 05:50
Deptford, New Jersey
Level Contributor
160 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jake's Treasure Beach

The more you guys are telling me about it, I think I will definitely start my Jamaica trip off with something like this. TY so much. Feel free to keep the thread going with more info!

Reply to: Jake's Treasure Beach
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Treasure Beach