We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Foxboro-White Mountains-Portland?

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
58 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Foxboro-White Mountains-Portland?

Hello! Myself and my partner are over in October for a Patriots game. We are travelling down to Cape Cod for a week before the game, and have 5 days after the game before we need to be back in Boston. We are looking at driving up from Foxboro to explore the White Mountains for a couple of nights, however I am unsure of the best place to stay, and also what we should do while we're there? Is 2 nights enough? We were going to drive from the White Mountains and have a night or 2 somewhere else, possibly Portland? We'd love to see Bar Harbour but I think it's just too much driving from White Mountains. Any suggestions of routes, things to do, places to stay and other towns along the way we could stop and see on our way back over to the coast are massively appreciated. Thank you in advance!

14 replies to this topic
Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
58 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Foxboro-White Mountains-Portland?

FYI we're a couple in our early 30's, love to eat and drink, excited to see the beautiful scenery and explore the mountains. Would like to stay somewhere we can walk to a few places from if possible!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
4,735 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Foxboro-White Mountains-Portland?

What dates would this be? 2-3 nights in the White Mountains (look at Jackson or North Conway), then 1 or 2 nights on the Maine coast - Portland if you want to be in a city, otherwise look further south like in Ogunquit.

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
58 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Foxboro-White Mountains-Portland?

We would be driving up from Foxboro on Monday 1st October, we fly home on 6th. Thanks so much for the tips, I’ll look into you suggestions this evening I really appreciate your input

Leeds
Level Contributor
71 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Foxboro-White Mountains-Portland?

Hi, I would recommend the Carter notch inn at Jackson which is good base to see the area.

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
11,043 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Foxboro-White Mountains-Portland?

Jackson and then Portland afterward would be good locales from which to base.

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
58 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Foxboro-White Mountains-Portland?

Thanks everyone, looking into booking accommodation in Jackson now. Looks like a great place and definitely somewhere we'll enjoy staying! We'll be there for 2 nights so will look into things to do, places to eat etc

Foxboro...
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Foxboro-White Mountains-Portland?

For places to eat in Jackson I'll suggest for dinner the Wildcat Tavern. We like it there and usually sit in the pub and have drinks and dinner. Additionally The Shovel Handle Pub at Whitney's Inn as well as The Shannon Door Pub. For breakfast Yesterday's right in Jackson.

https:/…

http://shovelhandlepub.com/

http://www.shannondoor.com/

http://sarahsyesterdays.com/

Where are you staying while in Foxboro?

Being residents of Foxboro we make this trip often, it's about a 3 hour ride and well worth it. Enjoy.

Edited: 25 April 2018, 21:21
Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
58 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Foxboro-White Mountains-Portland?

Oh brilliant, thanks for this, I actually just reserved a room at the Wildcat Tavern for our stay! It just looked like the perfect place for us to stay, I think we'll love the atmosphere (neither of us are that fussy, we're pretty easily pleased!) I have seen Whitney's and wondered whether we'll be better there but maybe we can just pop over there for drinks one night.

We're staying as close to the Gillette as we could get, Americas Best Value Inn, it's the whole reason for the trip and my partner wants to go over to the Patriots Palace the evening before for dinner etc, so we made allowances for 2 nights there. Do you have a particular route up to the White Mountains you can recommend? We haven't actually looked into this yet but thought maybe with you making the trip often you might have some tips?

Foxboro...
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Foxboro-White Mountains-Portland?

Americans Best Value Inn is close, but before you book it I suggest reading the trip advisor reports, not the best place. For a little more you might want to check out Hilton Garden Inn right at Patriot Place. There are a few places at Patriot Place for dinner, suggest Tavalino for Italian or Skipjacks for seafood.

http://www.patriot-place.com/tavolino

http://patriot-place.com/skipjacks

Driving from Foxboro is a pretty straight shot.

Interstate 95 North to Spaulding Highway/Rte 16 and follow through North Conway, NH. Keep following Rte 16 past Storyland and a few miles on the left you'll see Red Fox Restaurant, just after that take a right through the Jackson Covered Bridge and Wildcat Tavern/Inn is about a half mile up on your right. To get exact directions try google maps.

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
58 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Foxboro-White Mountains-Portland?

Thank you for your reply. We have looked at the Hilton at Patriots palace, we would LOVE to stay there, however its showing as $435 per night while the game is on, vs $200 a night at the Best Value. We will keep looking as we can cancel for free, however with us having nearly 3 weeks worth of hotels to book on our trip we need to try and keep within a budget.

Thanks for the driving route, I'll pass this on to my partner as he'll be the designated driver! We will for sure look at google maps too, just always nice to get a recommendation of more scenic routes if poss!

Thanks again

Reply to: Foxboro-White Mountains-Portland?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about White Mountains