We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trip to Sag Harbor

Billericay, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Day Trip to Sag Harbor

Hi

We are planning a day visit to Sag Harbor in August and would really appreciate any advice and must see suggestions.

Things I have looked at so far include a walking tour, thought the Sag Harbor in wartime one looked interesting and poosibly lunch at the American Hotel. The ferry across to Shelter Island looks great too but not sure if we would have time for this as well.

I would really appreciate any advice and help in an itinerary for a day trip in Sag Harbor.

Many thanks for all your help

Kate

9 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
709 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trip to Sag Harbor

Sag Harbor is fantastic, so much to do and see. I would suggest a a visit to the Sag Harbor Historical Society, the Whaling Museum and also the Customs House, as well as popping into the newly renovated library across the street. If you are able to catch a live show at Bay Street Theater, do that and check to see if the American Beauty is sailing, if so book a sail on her. Also you may be there on a day when the Sag Harbor Farmers Market is open so check on that. Visit the Old Whaler's Church and Temple Adas Israel (Long Island's oldest Temple).

The American Hotel is fun to sit outside and have a cocktail but the food is sub-par (it's all about celebrity spotting). For food I suggest, Barron's Cove (also great for watching the sunset over drinks) , Wölffer Kitchen, Muse in the Harbor, Page 63, Dockside, The Dock House, and DOPO. There are many other restaurants but just be aware the wait times are insane in the summer since most if not all restaurants do not take reservations.

The Village is fun to wander around (lots of shops) but don't miss getting an ice cream at Big Olaf's on the wharf (also LONG lines).

Will you have a car? If you have a car you can drive to the Shelter Island Ferry and then drive around Shelter Island, if you are on foot this will not work. Also if you have a car you can drive to Wölffer Vineyard for a wine tasting, drive go to The Parish Art Museum in Southampton, drive down to Sagaponack (one of the most expensive zip codes in the USA) visit a farm stand and grab snack at Pierre's Market then drive to the the Dan Flavin Art Institute in Bridgehampton. But if you are on foot there are plenty of things to do that are all in walking distance of Main Street - so enjoy!

Billericay, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trip to Sag Harbor

Thanks for all the tips very helpful. I will look into the suggested restaurants. Have you ever done any of the walking tours?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
709 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trip to Sag Harbor

My family lives there so I've only gone on one walking tour it was about famous/ infamous women of Sag Harbor. I've also gone on house tours (my mother is a volunteer), they hold those twice a year usually around Xmas and 4th of July. There are many organizations in Sag Harbor that host tours and walks throughout the year, the subject matter would depend on the organization's interests.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,709 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Trip to Sag Harbor

In your other thread on a Montauk day trip, you mention you're staying in East Hampton. I can understand calling a Montauk visit a trip trip, but you may not realize how close Sag Harbor is to most of East Hampton. It,s not uncommon for people who live in East Hampton to pop in to Sag Harbor for shopping or dining. I don't think you need to think of it as an all day "event" although you can certainly do it that way.

I couldn't disagree more about the food at the American hotel. I consider it some of the best in all of the Hamptons and often use it as a special occasion place. It,s one of the few fine dining restaurants with white tablecloths and fine china and silver on the east end. The lobster blt is one of my favorites anywhere and the smoked salmon appetizer is fantastic and beautifully served. The fish of the day is always great as is the flounder. Sitting on the porch in summer just adds to the specialness. Billy Joel and lots of other celebs seem to agree with me. I'd say the only possible negative is if you don't get an outside porch table, inside can be a bit dark and dreary in summer ( in winter it,s cosy and inviting with a roaring fire). The Beacon restaurant overlooking the water is a special location but only open for dinner or weekend lunch/brunch. Go for an early dinner and sit on the outside deck for the amazing sunset view. Unfortunately they don t take reservations though. Brunch is great.

There are 2 new restaurants in Sag harbor this year, Lulu on Main st. which I've not yet tried and Le Bilboquet, a NYC rest. will be opening on the water. It,s not yet open.

Shelter Island might make for a fun day or half day trip. Sunset Beach is a terrific if pricey spot for lunch or dinner. If you use the restaurant, you can use their parking lot and sit on the beach there. No waves so good for kids and good peop,e watching.

Billericay, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Trip to Sag Harbor

Thanks thats sounds good. We were thinking of maybe going early one morning to Sag for some breakfast, having a wander round then back to East Hampton for an afternoon relaxing either round the pool or beach.

I think our beach choices are Georgica, Main Beach, Wilborg or Two Mile Hollow Beach, would you have any preference on these. We will probably cycle there to avoid the parking costs.

Thanks for all your advice, so helpful.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,709 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day Trip to Sag Harbor

Wiborg doesn't have lifeguards, the others do. I think Main Beach is the only one with a snack bar for food and drink. It,s the closest to the village. If you're biking, I'd pick the one that closest.😉 There's a big distance between Two Mile Hollow and Georgina. Have a look on a map.

The American hotel does serve breakfast. I would try to reserve a table on the porch for the day you want to go. Avoid the weekend if you can. If you'd prefer a more casual breakfast, LT Burger has a few small tables outside on the sidewalk. There are also plenty of places for a take away bf and you could eat on a bench at the water. The shops don't open very early....usually 10 or 11.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,709 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day Trip to Sag Harbor

Btw, the lobster roll at the seafood place on the dock in Sag Harbor ( down from the Bay St. theater) is very good if you want to take lunch back to your place. The burgers at LT burger are awesome...also available for take away. In East Hampton, Bostwick,s lobster rolls are terrific too.

Billericay, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Day Trip to Sag Harbor

Thank you thats really helpful. With the beaches we probably dont need the lifeguards but a snack bar is always welcome!

Breakfast on the porch of the American Hotel does sound lovely and thanks for the tip about the shops not opening very early. Thinking we could drive back via Sagaponack and see some of the beautiful houses.

We are also going to Montauk for a day trip and was considering the lighthouse,hiring a daybed at Gurneys for lunch and the afternoon on the beach then The Sloppy Tuna for the evening. Do you have any more recommendations on things worth seeing and doing in the Montauk area.

Many thanks again for all your help, The Tripadvisor forum is so helpful.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,709 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day Trip to Sag Harbor

Wolffer vineyard in Sagaponack is beautiful. While there are beautiful homes in Sagaponack, there are bigger more impressive ones in East Hampton near Main Beach. Drive Lily Pond Lane, Lee Avenue, Further Lane in East Hampton.

There are lots of places to eat and drink in Montauk along with shops. I haven't eaten at Gurney's in the last year nor do I know the price of renting lounges there. Navy Beach is also on a beach but not the ocean.

Reply to: Day Trip to Sag Harbor
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Hamptons