We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trips Long Island / Hamptons

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
117 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Day Trips Long Island / Hamptons

Family of 4 with teenage daughters staying 5 days in Glen Cove (Sat to Wed) as it best fits our budget. We'll have a car & do day trips from here. We'll a beach closer to Glen Cove but like to get to the Hamptons area for some beach time, realize the issue with permits/availability wondering how far out to drive to get reasonable access to a beach for. Like to visit a few villages either on different days or same, Montauk is a must & that drive will be about 2 hours. Just wondering how best to plan the days and minimize the back forth as best as possible. Any assistance would be appreciated.

17 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,146 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trips Long Island / Hamptons

If you will be doing this trip before September, I suggest going to Montauk on the Monday or Tuesday of your stay. Do not attempt to drive there on a Saturday or even Sunday morning, or else you will spend hours in bumper to bumper traffic. Plan on at least 3 hours, even on a Monday. You should be able to find a place to park in town & walk to the beach there. There are lots of shops & restaurants there too. Maybe plan to stop in East Hampton on your way back & look at the shops there. Not sure where you could change....better plan on nice coverups over your bathing suits.

Glen Cove is not in a convenient location for visiting the Hamptons.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,786 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trips Long Island / Hamptons

"...staying 5 days in Glen Cove (Sat to Wed) as it best fits our budget. ..". To see what??? If you,re coming to see the Hamptons, there are lots of closer places than Glen Cove. There are chain hotels near MacArthur airport in Islip that are a lot closer. If you,re coming to see NYC, there are lots of better places than Glen Cove unless Glen Cove is FREE. Long Island City for starters near a subway station.

There are some beaches that allow you to pay to park on a weekday, first come, first serve but the prices are steep. Given your budget constraints, I don't know if that's an option for you. Coopers Beach in Southampton has weekday parking for ~$50/day.

The drive to Montauk will take longer than 2 hours unless this visit is after Labor Day.

So...tell us WHEN you're visiting, why you picked Galen Cove ( and whether you can change that) and why Montauk is a must. If you're coming for beach, the same beach is in Southampton or Hamptons Bays, a lot closer and likely more swimmable.

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
117 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trips Long Island / Hamptons

Appreciate the suggestions & support. I did get a great deal that I can’t pass up but could cancel at any time; also the family loves the hotel & willing to drive the distance to stay here. I also thought in case the weather wasn’t great beach days; we’re closer to Coney Island, the wife would want to check out the Vanderbilt Museum in Centerport or even NY which we seen many times. Our five days start on August 12th.

Curious, so even driving say like 8am from Glen Cove to Hamptons on Sunday would be crazy or 8am from Glen Cove to Montauk, how early/late does the madness start on Sunday?

We heard from other travelers that had visited Montauk and said should be on list, it seems pretty and quaint. We like the thought making it to Montauk on Monday , spend some time in town, lighthouse and park… like the drive backstop in East Hampton to check some shops and dinner, cover ups good thought!

“If you're coming for beach, the same beach is in Southampton or Hamptons Bays, a lot closer and likely more swimmable” could this comment be clarified? Are all beaches from West Hampton to Montauk pretty much the same? If so, I would prefer one that is easy to get to and less expensive. I don’t mind to spend the $50 to park if comes if warrants a better experience/surroundings. I’m assuming like Cap Cod, the busier beach was just more central but really not any different than the beaches that were further out.

What towns/villages of the Hamptons could we tag together for a day on its own?

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Cape May, Jersey Shore
Level Contributor
2,410 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Trips Long Island / Hamptons

It seems as if driving longer distances isn't an issue for you. We have done vacations such as you are and always enjoyed them.

I am going to make a suggestion-don't go to the Hamptons for the beach when staying in Glen Cove. Go to the Hamptons to explore. Go to Jones Beach instead for the beach. You are only 1/2 hour at most from Jones Beach. Plenty of parking, wide expanse of white sandy beach, absolutely beautiful.

https://parks.ny.gov/parks/jonesbeach/

As far as all the driving you are doing-you are doing a lot! Use Google Maps at the time you plan on traveling (example weekday 8am) to get more accurate travel times. The issue at 8am on a weekday is that most of the people who work in the Hamptons are driving out there at that time. Think large landscaper trucks, plumbers, work crews. These people don't live in the Hamptons but travel out daily. The roads are narrow 1 lane each direction roads. A slow truck hampers everyone behind them for miles.

It seems as if you have stayed at the hotel you are staying at in the past. You may wish to reconsider staying out closer to where you are going to spend the majority of your time. Riverhead has quite a few nice hotels and is significantly closer to all you wish to see. (From Riverhead I wouldn't suggest Jones Beach).

FYI-we stayed in Riverhead and traveled to Montauk in September. It took us almost 1.5 hours from our hotel to Montauk, leaving the hotel at 8am. Everything on LI takes much longer than you anticipate due to traffic.

Edited: 03 August 2017, 12:28
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,786 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Trips Long Island / Hamptons

I am now fascinated by what hotel the family loves and what the deal is you got. Please tell me. Is it possible to split your stay and spend a few days in Glen Cove and a few days further east? Driving from Glen Cove to the Hamptons multiple times makes NO sense and would make for a miserable holiday IMO. I agree with much that SINY suggests. Jones Beach or Long Beach are much closer to Glen Cove and lovely beaches in terms of the sand and the water. The surrounding area isn,t as charming but once you,re at the beach, it doesn't t really matter. The Hamptons beaches are not as crowded because there's less parking and they,re less accessible.

As SINY says, there is only one main road into the Hamptons and it backs up daily. In the morning ( starting at 8 am) and afternoon (starting around 3:30) you have what's known as the trade parade...all the trucks and vans from workers who live outside the Hamptons but work in the Hamptons. Add to that the vacationers and daytrippers and it's a mess daily. Add the fact that almost NONE of the beaches allow parking on weekends in making your decision. Coopers Beach and Sagg Main beach are the only ones I know of that allow paid parking during the week on a first come first serve basis. There is one parking lot in Montauk in town that is free from which you can walk to the beach but the likelihood of finding a spot is small and it may just be for 2 or 3 hours.

The beaches along the south shore of Long Island all have fine white sand. Montauk has stronger waves because it,s at the end which is why the surfers like it. The only other differences are how deep the beach is (how far you have to walk to get to the water), whether there are facilities like snack bar and/or bathrooms and showers or whether it's just a beach with homes. Some of the beaches in Westhampton are not ocean beaches. Look at a map.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,146 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day Trips Long Island / Hamptons

I agree with the above, but will add that Westhampton Beach might be worth a one-day trip. The drive would be congested, but not nearly as long as going to Southampton & beyond. You could go to Cupsogue Beach which has daily parking if you're there early enough in the day. It's a beautiful beach on the ocean, but also wraps around to the bay side. I'm pretty sure that there is a snack bar there as well as rest rooms. WHB itself is a small village, just a couple of blocks long, but with great boutiques. Feels very *Hamptons* especially as you check out the parked cars. If you stayed there for dinner, the drive back to Glen Cove might not be as bad.

I suggest using the app Waze to get real time traffic directions.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,786 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day Trips Long Island / Hamptons

Cmgparsons, I thought your Westhampton idea was a good one but for some reason, google maps estimates the driving time from Glen Cove to Cupsogue as longer than to Coopers Beach. Doesn't mean they're correct, but just thought I'd mention it. While I've been to WHB a number of times, it's usually from the east and I don t know the various beaches there very well.

New York City
Level Contributor
5,366 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day Trips Long Island / Hamptons

As a Native Long Islander, Glen Cove is nowhere near the Hamptons , its not even Near the Worlds longest Parking lot otherwise known as the Long Islands Expressway . It might take you 20-30 mins to get from Glen Cove to the Expressway (Which is the major east west Route on Long Island)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,146 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day Trips Long Island / Hamptons

nywhiz......Perhaps the reason that it takes longer to get to Cupsogue Beach is the ride on Dune Road where the speed limit is STRICTLY enforced! It's only 5 miles, but does seem to take a while. The trade-off is oogling the mansions along the way. So beautiful once you're there, and a lot less aggravating than sitting in traffic on Montauk Highway.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,786 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day Trips Long Island / Hamptons

Point taken.☺️

I just want to emphasize to Mike that now that August has arrived, the traffic is decidedly worse than in July! Even the back roads are bumper to bumper. There's a weekly talk radio show on Fridays called Media Mavens on the local NPR station (WPPB). Yesterday morning at 9 am as I sat in bumper to bumper traffic on the back road from Southampton heading east, I was listening to this show. Their main topic of conversation was the awful traffic.

Reply to: Day Trips Long Island / Hamptons
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Hamptons