We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help. . . So many negative accommodation reviews

Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Help. . . So many negative accommodation reviews

Hoping anyone out there can help me??

We are big travelers and will be coming from Australia to the Hamptons in January (on the way back from a ski trip in Canada)

Weve been to New York several times and I have always wanted to visit the Hamptons.

We will have a car so it doesnt matter where we stay. My main concern is Im finding so many negative reviews about all accommodation!

Is there anywhere that is going to blow me away. Im not fussy on the experience wether its beach, vineyard, quaint, modern but I just want something Im going to love. So no tatty outdated furniture, no mould, no peeling wall paper.

We are a family of four, two adults two teenagers and price isnt really a concern.

Help please to anyone out there in trip advisor land???

1. Re: Help. . . So many negative accommodation reviews

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 17 April 2010, 20:37
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,451 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help. . . So many negative accommodation reviews

I assume you realize Jan. is really really dead in the Hamptons? When in Jan. will you be visiting? Make sure it's on a weekend, otherwise you could find many things closed. Some inns & b & b's close althogether in Jan. Xmas is a busy time but after the New Year it's usually pretty quiet.

If they're open, I think Baker House in East Hampton is lovely. It feels more like you're visiting a very wealthy friend in a big mansion.

http://www.bakerhouse1650.com/index2.htm

1770 House, just down the road from it has very nice rooms (more recently renovated) but the building itself is not as impressive.

http://1770house.com/

Mill House Inn is also supposed to be very nice.

http://www.millhouseinn.com/

A Butler's Manor in Southampton always gets good reviews but I've not been inside it.

http://www.abutlersmanor.com/

But I repeat, the Hamptons in Jan. can be cold and isolated. During the week, many shops will be closed. There are enough restaurants open though.

Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help. . . So many negative accommodation reviews

Thankyou very much for that! Didnt realize we were planning on being there from the 9th which is a Sunday to the 12th which is a wednesday.

Being this is the case do you recommend any place over another? ie east hampton, south hampton.

I know in a perfect world it would be better to go at another time of the year but being that the rest of the family, there main interest is skiing, we cant please everyone???

Really appreciate your help

Cheers Lisa

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,451 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help. . . So many negative accommodation reviews

Lisa, I don't know what you expect to see, but Sun. thru Wed. in early Jan. will be absolutely dead. You will be lucky to find any of these inns open for accomodation. If you do find one open, instead of getting the bargain you should for VERY low season, they might charge quite a lot just to stay open for you. Don't expect any of the small shops to be open. I'd say stay where you can find something open and able to accomodate you. I do repeat, I wonder what you expect to see. The excitement of the Hamptons has as much to do with the people and the buzz as anything else.

Niagara Falls...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Help. . . So many negative accommodation reviews

Good morning! Thank you for the help you offer travellers! My husband and I live in Niagara Falls Canada and we're FINALLY going to to visit Long Island...I can't wait! Anyways, we hope to golf and sightsee in the Hamptons. Hopefully enjoy your restaurants and do a little shopping. Any ideas where the golfing would be the best? Any pointers are WELCOME and thanks again!

New York
Level Contributor
16 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help. . . So many negative accommodation reviews

I live in the Hamptons year round. I recommend Southampton or East Hampton as they are the bigger towns. But, it is the very very off season and lots of shops/restaurants will be closed. The weather can aslo be really blustery in January. But, if you do have your heart set on coming here then I would recommend any hotel that is right in the villages of either South or East Hampton (or the American Hotel if you're interested in one of NYs oldest hotels in an old whaling village with total charm in Sag Harbor). Is there any way you can come before your ski trip? Christmas time is nice here with lit up trees on all the main streets and most of the shops will be open.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,451 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help. . . So many negative accommodation reviews

Diane, there are 3 places I know of with public golf in the Hamptons: Shelter Island, Montauk (Montauk Downs) and a 9 hole course in Sagaonpack called Poxabogue. In season (Memorial Day to Labor Day) all get crowded, especially on weekends. You'll need to book tee time in advance.

Staying in Waiscott or Bridgehampton would make you central to all 3.

enclaveinn.com

has locations in both that are considered reasonably priced. East Hampton and Southampton are the major shopping villages.

Niagara Falls...
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Help. . . So many negative accommodation reviews

Thank you for your info......I'll be sure and post my trip findings and highlights when we get back.....counting down the days.

9. Re: Help. . . So many negative accommodation reviews

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 November 2010, 15:17
Get answers to your questions about Hamptons