We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buses

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
7 posts
13 reviews
2 helpful votes
Buses
Save

This is more of a warning than a question regarding the public buses in Lanzarote.

This is my personal opinion and is based on actual events and experiences whilst using the buses in Lanzarote. If anyone is coming to Lanzarote and depending on a reliable bus service should take heed of the following.

Never in my life have I ever encountered a more shambolic service. The timetables posted on the website and at the bus stops are a complete waste of time and do not reflect when the bus actually turns up. The electronic boards that inform you of the time until the next bus are also utterly useless and show completely inaccurate information.

Having been here almost 3 weeks now and based in Playa Honda the bus service to get to Arrecife, Costa Teguise, Puerto Del Carmen, and even Playa Blanca is so bad it’s unbelievable.

Buses to and from Arrecife, Teguise, and Del Carmen are supposed to be every 20 minutes Monday to Friday.

A 30 minute wait for a bus is normal. Two and sometimes three buses coming at the same time is also a regular feature. On a random Monday afternoon last week I waited for 50 minutes for a number 3 bus in Costa Teguise to go back to Playa Honda. A chap at the stop had already been there for 20 minutes when I arrived.

On Tuesday night I went for a bus at Playa Honda to go to Costa Teguise and waited 45 minutes.

A bus has NEVER arrived on time and NEVER been within 15 minutes of its schedule.

Just yesterday I left Costa Teguise for a bus supposed to arrive at 17.05 hrs and waited 40 minutes. I walked through the door of the apartment I am staying at 18.45 hrs .

The drivers appear completely uninterested and at times verge on ignorant. I witnessed a driver throw an elderly couple of the bus one day in De Carmen because he had the audacity to politely ask the driver why the bus was over 15 minutes late and why there was another number 3 bus directly behind him.

After paying their fare the driver shouted at them and jumped out of his seat and told them to get off the bus or he would phone the police. He shouted his over and over at the couple.

The embarrassed couple who clearly did not want an encounter with the police got off the bus.

How on earth the buses can lose so much time is beyond me and I cannot fathom out why it is like this.

Anyone thinking about relying on the buses in Lanzarote should take note.

6 replies to this topic
uk
Level Contributor
18 posts
250 reviews
147 helpful votes
1. Re: Buses
Save

Agree the times are hit and miss. Some drivers are definitely more cheeful than others. Mind you if I was confronted by people asking questions in a foreign langauge (English) all the time, my patience would wear thin. Have witnessed also one bus so late the next one was behind, at least it meant we could get a seat as the first one full all I can say is leave plenty of time and be prepared to grab a taxi if late for a flight.

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
22,436 posts
135 reviews
205 helpful votes
2. Re: Buses
Save

Oh the joys of Spain, It adds to the experience of getting around on public transport

I have to agree it cannot be easy for the bus drivers. people waving a 20 euro note, not knowing which stop they want and babbling in a foreign language

What fun

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
7 posts
13 reviews
2 helpful votes
3. Re: Buses
Save

Whilst I 100% agree that the bus drivers must suffer a daily deluge of British tourists, the majority of which have done no homework whatsoever about fares, routes, times etc the company could simplify things and prevent a lot of this by putting up the costs of fares to places at the bus stops. They could simplify things even more by charging a standard fare for non residents. All the locals use prepaid cards or monthly tickets.

Just this week we got a bus from Costa Teguise which arrived 5 minutes late. By the time we got to Arrecife it was 10 minutes late. The driver got off and had a cigarette before continuing with the journey by which time it arrived in Playa Honda 15 minutes late.

Pathetic.

Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
4. Re: Buses
Save

We have been to all the Islands a few times and have never seen such a shambolic service as lanzarote buses. As has been written by the OP, its just a joke....wait and one will come sometime....is the norm here. Fuerta, GC and Tenerife have an excellant service. Last Sat we wanted to visit Harias market. Bus at Mala, due 1027. Nope nothing by 1100. So we thought stuff it, lets take the 9 to Orzola then. That bus was "due" at 1045, but didnt show up either, so we started walking to the next stop ....then zoom, number 7 flies by followed by a number 9........ The number 7 "should have left the staion at 10, thats about 30 mins ish to mala.....so it didnt leave the station until 1030-1040. How can they be so bad..............How do the locals put up with it.

Edited: 26 January 2023, 01:38
Sidmouth, United...
Level Contributor
528 posts
5 reviews
5 helpful votes
5. Re: Buses
Save

They have got really busy/ too busy and chaotic so service has suffered since they introduced free travel for residents recently - so now demand can’t keep up.

Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
6. Re: Buses
Save

rubbish. buses 1/2 MT

Reply to: Buses
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Costa Teguise
Recent Conversations
More Costa Teguise Topics
© 2023 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Malaysia. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.