We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Duty free from Penang to Singapore

R B
Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
105 posts
Duty free from Penang to Singapore

Hi can I buy duty free Bacardi in Penang airport and then consume it in Singapore as it is classed as a state?

We are spending 4 days in Singapore and we are aware that alcohol is highly priced.

Many thanks in advance

3 replies to this topic
Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Langkawi, Langkawi District
Level Contributor
12,379 posts
244 reviews
1. Re: Duty free from Penang to Singapore

There is no duty free allowance for alcohol in Singapore so any you take in with you will have to be declared at customs and duty paid on it.

However, I am not sure what the protocol would be if it was in your checked luggage......... but security at Changi Airport is very strict so perhaps best not to p*ss them off.

Edited: 13 March 2018, 18:27
R B
Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
105 posts
2. Re: Duty free from Penang to Singapore

Thx for your reply, no I don’t think it would be wise to p**s them off. I suppose if I buy it in Penang airport and then declare it, it may still work out cheaper.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
5,663 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Duty free from Penang to Singapore

Not sure what you meant by "it is classed as a state", but Singapore is a separate country from Malaysia and thus has its own customs regulations.

Singapore does not give duty-free allowance for alcohol when you are arriving from Malaysia. You are required to declare any alcohol in your possession (doesn't matter whether it is in your checked luggage or carry-on) and pay the customs duty. The duty rates can be found on Singapore Customs website:

https:/…list-of-dutiable-goods

Most wines and spirits incur a duty of S$88 per litre of alcohol. To calculate the duties payable, multiply the rate by volume in litres and percentage of alcoholic strength. For example, a 1 litre bottle of wine with 20% alcohol is charged a duty of S$17.60.

Reply to: Duty free from Penang to Singapore
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted