We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ipoh to Penang, 1 day

Toronto, Canada
7 posts
Save Topic
Ipoh to Penang, 1 day

Hi Folks,

I have March 29-March 30 to visit Penang from Ipoh.

What's the best way to get there (butterworth? georgetown?) and what are some must sees there?

Any recommendation on bus ticket websites, accommodation place for a night?

Really appreciate your comments!

thank you

Mentioned in this post
Penang Island
Penang Island
Penang, Malaysia
Ipoh
Ipoh
Kinta District, Malaysia
6 replies to this topic
Penang Island...
Destination Expert
for Penang, Penang Island, George Town, Tanjung Bungah, Batu Ferringhi
Level Contributor
12,088 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ipoh to Penang, 1 day

For what to see have a look at Things To Do at the top of this page. What you might want to see and do and what I’d choose could be poles apart. However I would suggest that 1 night on Penang really doesn’t give you much chance to see or do a great deal. You’re really going to have to confine yourself to George Town. Maybe have a look over on the right under the Top Questions where I have posted some suggestions for whole and half day trips and tours. That might give you some more ideas.

As far as accommodation goes there are hundreds of places to stay in George Town ranging from shared dormitory accommodation up to 5 star hotels. Maybe have a browse through the Hotels tab at the top of this page.

Try easybus for bus booking websites www.easybus.com or take the train to Butterworth and get the ferry across.

Mentioned in this post
Penang Island
Penang Island
Penang, Malaysia
George Town
George Town
Penang Island, Malaysia
Taichung, Taiwan
Level Contributor
622 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ipoh to Penang, 1 day

I would suggest taking the train. Ipoh train station is right downtown whereas Amanjaya bus station is 20-30 minutes from city center. Why waste the time? Take ferry from Butterworth over to George Town. If you're traveling light you can start exploring GT on foot. If you have suitcases, first head to your hotel then begin. Armenian Street Heritage Hotel is a good mid-priced option in the heart of the heritage zone. Have fun!

Mentioned in this post
George Town
George Town
Penang Island, Malaysia
Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Island of Gozo, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
5,294 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ipoh to Penang, 1 day

Certainly aim for the Heritage Zone as your place to stay. Lots of accommodation options at all budgets. Easy access to see temples, street art & food stalls.

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
26 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ipoh to Penang, 1 day

Hello, this isn't regarding Ipoh, but Cameron Highlands. I couldn't find an exact thread - sorry.

We want to travel from Georgetown to Tanah Rata. Originally, I was happy to take the early morning bus with NEWSIA being the only a.m option.

Then I read online reviews about how bad this company is; namely the van from Georgetown to Sungai Nibong terminal leaving early without passengers. General lateness of the services and the bus stopping several times, as well as rude bus drivers and staff at the Komtar service desk.

We only have a week in Malaysia so it is imperative we get to Tanah Rata by 1pm as we have a trek booked.

I'm starting to wonder if Grab or Uber should be considered?? I've never used them and am not thrilled about doing so, but we don't have a huge budget for a private transfer.

Anyone have any advice?

Mentioned in this post
Ipoh
Ipoh
Kinta District, Malaysia
Cameron Highlands
Cameron Highlands
Pahang, Malaysia
Tanah Rata
Tanah Rata
Cameron Highlands, Malaysia
Komtar
Komtar
713 Reviews
Penang Island, Malaysia
Penang Island...
Destination Expert
for Penang, Penang Island, George Town, Tanjung Bungah, Batu Ferringhi
Level Contributor
12,088 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ipoh to Penang, 1 day

Type George Town to Cameron Highlands into the search box above (or below ) and you’ll see all the other times this question has been asked and the answers.

Mentioned in this post
George Town
George Town
Penang Island, Malaysia
Cameron Highlands
Cameron Highlands
Pahang, Malaysia
Taichung, Taiwan
Level Contributor
622 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ipoh to Penang, 1 day

There's a row of local travel agents on a side street just outside of Komtar, all or most of which sell tickets to Tanah Rata. We purchased our tickets there last summer and if I remember correctly buses leave around 8:30. From there they proceed to Sungai Nibong and from there on to Tanah Rata. However, I don't think any will arrive in time to make a 1:00 trek. In this case, taxi may be your only option.

Mentioned in this post
Komtar
Komtar
713 Reviews
Penang Island, Malaysia
Tanah Rata
Tanah Rata
Cameron Highlands, Malaysia
Reply to: Ipoh to Penang, 1 day
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;