We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Georgetown hawker stall recommendations

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
30 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Georgetown hawker stall recommendations

We will be visiting Penang in May after an absence of 25 years!! When we were here last we had the most wonderful food from the hawker stalls outside our hotel (Golden Sands) but had a feeling the stalls (which were set up every evening in the shade of the trees) will probably not be there after all this time. We also had great Malaysian food in Georgetown but can’t remember where we went! Does anyone have recommendations for good, authentic food in Georgetown. We don’t particularly want fine dining but would like to try different types of dishes and as least touristy as it is possible. Any help/recommendations would be appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Penang Island
Penang Island
Penang, Malaysia
Golden Sands Resort by Shangri-La
Golden Sands Resort by...
3,476 Reviews
Penang Island, Malaysia
Sushi Kitchen - Georgetown Branch
$$ - $$$, Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Merry Me
$$ - $$$, Cafe, Malaysian
Kebaya
$$$$, Asian, Malaysian, Fusion
8 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Georgetown hawker stall recommendations

for hawker food in the evening. Go to New Lane off Mcalister road. Georgetown.In the morning New Cathay kopitiam along Burmah road.Food are cheap and authentic. Grab car are are easy to order on the spot if you download the app for transport

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
30 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Georgetown hawker stall recommendations

Fantastic! Many thanks for your suggestions - we will definitely try them. Thanks so much for replying

Penang Island...
Destination Expert
for Penang, Penang Island, George Town, Tanjung Bungah, Batu Ferringhi
Level Contributor
12,342 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Georgetown hawker stall recommendations

The problems with trying to give recommendations are many and varied. If you use Facebook have a look at this page and you'll start to see what I mean https:/…penanghawkerfood On there locals are frequently debating the merits, or otherwise, of various places.

On a bad day here we can have as many as 4 cruise ships coming into George Town, with 12,000 people coming ashore. That has had a knock on effect on food in George Town with locals suggesting people steer clear of 3 of the main tourist traps - Red Garden, Anjung Gurney at the end of Gurney Drive and New Lane hawkers centre. That is not to say any of the food there is particularly bad, just that they're where tourists flock to because they've heard of them and so the food quality and prices are not what they used to be.

Another issue is just what do you expect? Are you sufficiently experienced that you can tell the difference between different places and methods of cooking? Take Char Koay Teow as an example. Do you like yours with hens eggs or duck eggs? Do you like yours fried in oil or pork fat? Bean sprouts? Cockles? Chinese sausages? All these will make a difference to the finished dish but how do you choose?

Hawker stalls will vary from day to day, from hour to hour and also will be dependent on who is cooking when you visit.

My advice to people is just to follow your noses or ask your hotel staff where they eat or for their recommendations. Also be prepared to go to places other than the middle of George Town, particularly if you're seeking to avoid the touristy places. Some of the night markets have the best food and people will travel to visit them. penangfoodie.com/best-night-market-in-penang/

Mentioned in this post
George Town
George Town
Penang Island, Malaysia
Gurney Drive
Gurney Drive
384 Reviews
Penang Island, Malaysia
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
30 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Georgetown hawker stall recommendations

Thank you PaperStoneScissors for your thoughtful and informative reply. I appreciate everything you say and I agree that one’s man meat is another man’s poison - however you have given me some areas to explore and also some restaurants/cafes to look at. We are quite adventurous but not knowledgeable (at all!) about the finer points of Malaysian cuisine but we will do as you suggest and follow our nose and instinct to visit as many places as we can. We also hadn’t realised about the influx of cruise visitors but thank you for that as we will try to find out the schedule and avoid if possible. Again, thanks for insight and recommendations

Newcastle, UK
Level Contributor
178 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Georgetown hawker stall recommendations

You sound a bit like me - new to the hawker/food court scene!

For what it's worth, we used three in Georgetown more than once - the Red Garden (evening only) in Lebuh Leith near the E&O Hotel and the Blue Mansion (right next door in fact) - New Lane, off McAllister Road (I think evening only as well), and the CF (I think!) Foodcourt on the Weld opposite the Clan Jetties - this one is open at lunchtime as well, and makes for a nice lunch stop when visiting the clan jetties, which are a must see.

But the best Malaysian food we had in Penang (and we're only talking a month ago) was at the Mews Cafe on Muntri Street - a bit more upmarket but the food was great, and unlike anything we had at hawker stalls.

Mentioned in this post
Penang Island
Penang Island
Penang, Malaysia
Mews Cafe
Mews Cafe
983 Reviews
Penang Island, Malaysia
Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Island of Gozo, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
5,436 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Georgetown hawker stall recommendations

Food is everywhere - don't rule out exploring some of the restaurants - some offer great lunchtime deals!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
30 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Georgetown hawker stall recommendations

Thanks so much for the details and we will definitely look at some your recommendations. Our mouths are watering in anticipation of the delicious food that I’m sure we’ll be able to find. Now that we’ve been pointed in the right direction we’ll look forward to wandering around, following our noses and then deciding where to eat.

Again, thanks for taking the time to reply

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
30 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Georgetown hawker stall recommendations

Thanks for your reply - you’re right and we’re not discounting any restaurant at the moment - we just can’t wait to try some of the food on offer. Thanks for taking the time to reply

Reply to: Georgetown hawker stall recommendations
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted