We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for halal Food in Penang...

Gloucester, UK
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Looking for halal Food in Penang...

Hello All,

Wife and I have booked our honeymoon for the 2nd of June 08, we are planning on staying 4 nights in KL at the MO and 5 nights in Penang at the Shangri-la Rasa Sayang... I have just got of the phone with the Shangri-la and confirmed that their food is all halal, I was wondering if anyone could recommend halal restaurants and hawkers stalls (Indian, Malay and Chinese).

Also if anyone has any recommendations for halal restaurants in KL that would be appreciated too.

Its important to have good (halal) food for me to have an enjoyable time.

Thanks

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
685 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for halal Food in Penang...

you will find halal food everywhere and it will not be a problem

all malay food is halal and indian food is halal some chinese food is not halal but if not they will say if not

all hotels are halal by law they have to be i think

in supermarkets the pork products are in a seperate room and usually only indian or chinese staff would serve you

if you are staying at rasa sayang a good hawkers market is called long beach - great satay, nasi kandar and spring rolls (im unsure if the spring rolls are halal though)

there is also a mosque outside golden sands hotel next door to rasa sayang for your information if this helps.

have a good holiday

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,326 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for halal Food in Penang...

You don't need to look, halal is everywhere. Its non-halal thats harder to find.

You are not going to have any problem.

Chinese are the only traders (licensed) dealing in pork products in Malaysia. I think you need to avoid the chinese restuarants !

Gloucester, UK
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for halal Food in Penang...

Thanks guys appreciate the info... Can wait to go!!!

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
437 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for halal Food in Penang...

If you happen to go to the hawker stalls at the famous Gurney Drive in Penang, there is a section of stalls nearer to the roundabout that has muslim hawker stalls. If frequenting restaurants and hotel outlets, the better ones have halal certificates from the authorities. Beware of some outlets that advertised as pork free or just a simple "HALAL" sign as they may not be 100% halal in food preparation and handling of utensils. Not to worry you too much but halal food in Malaysia is very easy to find, even the fast food joints are halal here.

Happy holidays!

Butterworth...
Level Contributor
273 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for halal Food in Penang...

Salam,

All hotel food are halal in MAlaysia but please be careful with Chinise restaurants in Hotels as they are not halal due to the mixture of cooking utensils.

Not all Indian restaurant are halal.

Do not be mistaken with Indian restaurant and Indian Muslim Restaurant. All Fast food outlets , all malay restaurant ,all Indian mUslim restaurant (the key word is NASI KANDAR), hotel restaurant are halal.

It is difficult to find a halal Chinise restaurant.

As for HAwker stall, if it is operated by MAlays/indian Muslims it is definately halal. Pliz message for further info.

Kuala Selangor...
Level Contributor
372 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for halal Food in Penang...

Yes, agree with previous post.

Sad to say that hotels all over MYS for Chinese and Japanese restaurant outlet inside the hotels, they are not supposedly halal coz of mix of cooking utensils and not many even Muslim MYS know bout this. Anyways if the cooking utensils go inside the dishwasher is just about from anywhere the food can come from within the hotel outlet. Some say OK, some say not OK and some just even don care ;(

Be careful as well on Chinese Seafood restaurant, some of them not halal. All Chinese restaurantsNOT HALAL..

I'm not worry bout Indian Food/Restaurant at all even in KL all are supposedly HALAL! And they better be...

Gloucester, UK
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for halal Food in Penang...

Hello All,

Thank you for all the advice... really looking forward to visiting.... Cant wait

8. Re: Looking for halal Food in Penang...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2009, 10:17