We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

wasps!!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
33 reviews
27 helpful votes
wasps!!
Save

First time to Kefalonia in June and really looking forward to it , It sounds amazing! I've seen posts on the forum about mosquitos- having been to quite a few of the Greek islands and not really been bothered by them,but I am completely phobic about wasps, a holiday to Corfu a couple of years ago was ruined by the little stripy beasts,every time we sat down to eat they were there.I was the idiot running around waving my arms about! Yet been to Rhodes twice and never seen one!Are they likely to be a problem in early June?

Thanks for any advice.

Bob
Kelso
Level Contributor
1,610 posts
28 reviews
41 helpful votes
1. Re: wasps!!
Save

If wasps really bother you, Google "wasp zapper" for a device like a small tennis racket which you can use to despatch the little blighters.

Bob

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Kefalonia
Level Contributor
15,082 posts
91 reviews
68 helpful votes
2. Re: wasps!!
Save

Hi madmax,

The wasps on Kefalonia are lazy. They wander slowly from coke can, to piece of fruit, to anywhere else there is something sweet. They are not interested in me (or you!). I am lucky in that I am not that bothered about them and just gently waft them away from my drink or food. However if you are completely phobic that is no help.

The wasp zappers do work but if you are in an area where there is somewhere in the vicinity that has a wasp nest then you will be fighting a losing battle. In my opinion they are only effective if you are, for example, trying to remove a wasp or mozzie from your room.

In June they are not so prevalent as September when the grapes are becoming ripe. Many café/bars and tavernas will put a small dish of Greek coffee grains on the table and set them smoking. That seems to discourage the wasps.

They also seem to disappear after dark.

Have a great holiday and don't let the blighters get you down!

Bob

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
33 reviews
27 helpful votes
3. Re: wasps!!
Save

Thanks Bob and Bob. Come to think,it was September when we went to Corfu,maybe June will be wasp free.Looking forward to my holiday anyway.65 days and counting.

Leeds
Level Contributor
218 posts
431 reviews
300 helpful votes
4. Re: wasps!!
Save

I am sure you will be fine in June with the wasps - we had the worst problem in September with them - they were a pest when we were eating outdoors and my partner was stung by them at the airport.

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
512 posts
16 reviews
10 helpful votes
5. Re: wasps!!
Save

Just so you are aware, there are wasps in June but nowhere near as many as in September. They are really only a problem when you are eating or drinking outside during the day. I have been stung and the burning coffee does not always work. Have a great holiday.

Gnosall, United...
Level Contributor
399 posts
81 reviews
88 helpful votes
6. Re: wasps!!
Save

Went in June and had no problems with wasps or mosquitoes!!

Edited: 7 years ago
Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
512 posts
16 reviews
10 helpful votes
7. Re: wasps!!
Save

You were very lucky!!!!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
33 reviews
27 helpful votes
8. Re: wasps!!
Save

Thanks for all of your kind feedback.Will go prepared and hope for the best!

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
323 posts
53 reviews
28 helpful votes
9. Re: wasps!!
Save

Anyone tried using a Waspinator? Reading the reviews it seems to work but unless there is a handy tree/parasol around I'm not quite sure where you'd hang it in most tavernas!

Bury, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,470 posts
127 reviews
127 helpful votes
10. Re: wasps!!
Save

I saw one of these getting used in a taverna.

I'm going to buy 2 as so cheap.

The first reviewer is a bit over keen on them (highly amusing read!)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B000S8H08E?vs=1

Get answers to your questions about Skala
Recent Conversations
© 2022 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Malaysia. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.