We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency

middlesbrough
Level Contributor
82 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Currency

Can anyone tell me what currency to take to barbados. We are coming from the UK but we are also cruising from there can we take us dollars we will be doing st Lucia st kitts etc.

17 replies to this topic
PMP
Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,343 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Currency

Yes US$ are accepted currency. You pay in US but will probably get BBD change. I have heard some people ask for change in US also.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,311 posts
355 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Currency

b0r0lass

When coming to Barbados take USD and GBP from the UK. Don't purchase BBD in the UK as you can receive a much better rate in Barbados. If you purchase BBD in the UK the rate won't be nearly as generous and is currently around £1 to $2.40. In Barbados, you'll get about $2.54 currently for £1. If you take UK Traveller's Cheques, you'll get an even better rate. Currently it's $2.47 to £1. You can do the exchange at any of the several commercial banks on the island including CIBC First Caribbean International Bank, Republic Bank (Barbados) Ltd, First Citizen's Bank (Barbados) Ltd, Scotiabank or the RBC Royal Bank. They all have the same rates as set out by the Central Bank of Barbados on a daily basis.

I would recommend you get your USD from M&S Travel Money which is commission free with very competitive rates and this is what I personally always use when travelling from the UK. Currently you get about $1.26 USD for £1. USD can be spent on the street in Barbados at $2 for $1 USD. However, in some stores/restaurants, you will receive anything between $1.95 and $1.98. Anywhere around $200 to $250 USD in small bills ($5s, $10s and $20s) should suffice to get you started and for tipping. Whatever USD you don't spend, you can either hold on to it for a future trip as it's a globally accepted currency, or you can sell it back to M&S.

When you go on the cruise, the islands you mention all use the Eastern Caribbean Dollar, but will also accept USD, so not to worry. Keep the USD in small bills as you probably won't spend heavily while in port anyways.

Also take your credit/ Visa Debit cards.

Hope this helps

Mentioned in this post
Barbados
Barbados
Caribbean
middlesbrough
Level Contributor
82 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Currency

Thanks for that much appreciated.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,311 posts
355 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Currency

b0r0lass

You're welcome!

Regards

norfolk, england
Level Contributor
11 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Currency

You can take GBP and change at any bank, on the boat, or at street vendors, for small amounts it pays to carry a few USD but keep in mind you change currency to USD and loose, then to BMD and you'll loose again, Keep in mind don't change at a port, 75% of time don't change in UK, and change a little at a time on the street!

norfolk, england
Level Contributor
11 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Currency

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Barbadian+dollar&rlz=1C1CHBF_enGB720GB720&oq=Barbadian+dollar&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i60&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
13,567 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Currency

Unless a Bajan person is intending to visit the UK they do not want GB Pounds , especially since Brexit. when the exchange rate dropped well below the customary rate of $3 to £1 Please change your Sterling at the Bank when you get to Barbados and use Bajan Dollars to pay for your trips etc The Bajan Dollar is the currency of the Island..although US Dollars are also acceptable.

Mentioned in this post
Barbados
Barbados
Caribbean
Royal Tunbridge...
Level Contributor
1,108 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Currency

We always use Bajan dollars when in Barbados, never US dollars, but that is just what we like to do.

We went cruising from Barbados once, sounds like your cruise, St Lucia, St Kitts, Peurto Rico etc., and we took US dollars with us for that as all the islands we visited accepted them. You will not need many.

Mentioned in this post
Barbados
Barbados
Caribbean
St. Lucia
St. Lucia
Caribbean
St. Kitts
St. Kitts
St. Kitts and Nevis
London, United...
Level Contributor
739 posts
320 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Currency

I did a cruise from Barbados earlier this year that took in St Lucia, St Kitts and four other islands. Everything was priced in US dollars on the islands and US dollars were also used on the ship so my advise would be US dollars.

I always purchase US dollars before leaving UK as it works out to a slightly better rate. (In London we have Thomas Exchange Global who I find always have a better rate than elsewhere - not sure if there are branches in Middlesbrough). Then when I arrive in Barbados I change it at smaller shops / mini vans / local people where the rate is 2 for 1. Over the last 5 or so years (I visit annually) I've started using my credit card predominately as I prefer it to carrying cash and cards are widely accepted on the island. I have a visa from Nationwide and they charge no conversion fee, plus the visa exchange rate is always better than what you'll get changing cash. So if you're happy to use a credit card (if you have a no fee one) then that's an idea too for when in Barbados. But I found I needed cash for almost everything we did on the cruise stops.

Have a wonderful holiday.

Mentioned in this post
Barbados
Barbados
Caribbean
St. Lucia
St. Lucia
Caribbean
St. Kitts
St. Kitts
St. Kitts and Nevis
Exeter
Level Contributor
21 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Currency

I carry as much cash in GBP as is covered by my travel insurance (£500) and change it into Barbados dollars at the bank when I arrive. Best rate by far.

Although I carry US$ as a backup, I don't like using them - I feel it's impolite to use a foreign currency in a country if you don't have to.

Mentioned in this post
Barbados
Barbados
Caribbean
Reply to: Currency
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about St. Lawrence Gap
Recent Conversations