We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sugar Ultra Lounger Gap

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
159 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Sugar Ultra Lounger Gap

There's another call for clubs in St. Lawrence Gap to be allowed to play music later than three o'clock on mornings.

This time it’s coming from Dean Serrao, the managing director of the new Sugar Ultra-Lounge.

The club has replaced the landmark Ship Inn nightclub and restaurant.

Mr. Serrao was speaking to CBC News during the official opening of the club Thursday night.

Over the years residents near the area and a number of small hotel owners in St. Lawrence Gap have been complaining about the loud music which they said had caused many of their guests to even check out and go some place quieter.

This then caused the Royal Barbados Police Force to regulate the playing of loud music after hours.

He says this policy needs to be relaxed as the Gap is one of Barbados' busiest entertainment areas and vital to the tourism sector.

The new club which also features a restaurant has employed sixty people.

Mr. Serrao says they have invested heavily in the latest sound and lighting equipment

Canada
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sugar Ultra Lounger Gap

Well good for Mr. Serrao but he has to co-exist with several hotels within earshot of his establishment so perhaps he should have installed his top of line sound system with adjustable volume controls. I don't think he will get a sympathetic ear from the neighbors on this one. I well remember when the ear splitting loudenboomer racket from Extreme used to keep us awake on weekends at Sandy Bay...it was most unpleasant even with the windows closed, the air on full and pillows over our ears. If he wants to keep his customers in his establishment for longer hours then offer them a 'cool down' period from 3 to 5 so they can sober up with coffee and food before they go home.

Bridgetown, Barbados
Destination Expert
for Bridgetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
5,825 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sugar Ultra Lounger Gap

If the new owner of the Ship Inn did not know of the noise restrictions of the the Gap before he took over the place, he has to be thick as two short planks!! it has been a talking point for many years and he is from Barbados, so for him to assume that because he has now bought the place it will be different he is really stupid....I would suggest he keeps quiet before they make the closing time even earlier!!!

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,262 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sugar Ultra Lounger Gap

That closing time will never be extended because of the close proximity to residents and not to mention hotels like Rostrevor. I wish him good luck.

Hastings, Barbados
Level Contributor
481 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sugar Ultra Lounger Gap

he best remember the customers he will/might have are the ones he wants to keep up at night with the louder than currently allowed music!!! bajans arent going to be able to frequent the place at $35 cover chargeson a regular basis!!!!

Canada
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sugar Ultra Lounger Gap

...And I wonder just what do you get for a 35 dollar 'entry' fee???From the photos it seems like alot of money to pay just to park yourself on a vinyl sofa ...I imagine the drink prices will also be pricey??

6. Re: Sugar Ultra Lounger Gap

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2012, 18:16
Get answers to your questions about St. Lawrence Gap