We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruising Fiordland on HAL Volendam

RI, USA
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Cruising Fiordland on HAL Volendam

In late November I will be cruising from Sydney to Auckland. I am interested in hearing from others how the cruise in Fiordland National Park was. Did you see a lot? Did the ship explore the fiords or just stay way off shore. We are thinking that after the cruise we should fly to Queenstown to do some more exploring of this beautiful area. But the flights from Auckland to Queenstown are very expensive for a 2 hour flight. We have a real dilemma.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cruising Fiordland on HAL Volendam

The last time I saw a large cruise ship at Milford (I think it was one of the Princess ships) it was slowly cruising into the fiord as we were returning to Milford. Later we flew out over it by helicopter and it was already cruising back out to sea. It possibly spent two hours max in the fiord, didn't reach more than half way down (up?) the fiord and it didn't put out any tenders that we could see.

I do encourage you to fly down to Queenstown to explore further. Take a look at discounted Air NZ flights http://grabaseat.co.nz/ The sooner you book on grabaseat, the better the discounts.

To me the real high light of Milford is the drive there from Te Anau - it's wonderful. Enjoy :)

2. Re: Cruising Fiordland on HAL Volendam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 February 2013, 18:18
Get answers to your questions about Fiordland National Park