We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Torres Del Paine day excursion from El Calafate

London, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
30 reviews
Torres Del Paine day excursion from El Calafate

Which is the best company for this please?

Always Glaciers are 350 pesos (with lunch)

Chalten Travel are 435 pesos (without lunch)

Cal Tur are $110 USD

I don't mind paying a bit more for more sights or more comfort but what's the difference?

Thanks,

Ian

Santiago
Level Contributor
493 posts
14 reviews
1. Re: Torres Del Paine day excursion from El Calafate

You have to ask for that at the Argentinian forums.

Anyway, coming to Torres del Paine from Calafate for a day tour is crazy and you will see it so quick that you will not feel it.

It takes at least 4 1/2 hours from Calafate to Torres so the round trip would be 9 hours !!!

Yorktown, Virginia
Level Contributor
6,183 posts
15 reviews
2. Re: Torres Del Paine day excursion from El Calafate

I agree -- a day trip from El Calafate to TDP won't give you time to see much at all. Best to have at least one overnight in TDP.

Immigration & customs at the borders often take a long time, much longer than you would expect.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
484 posts
17 reviews
3. Re: Torres Del Paine day excursion from El Calafate

I think you are referring to the Torres de Paine from the Argentinian side. Go to the Argentinian forum.

Sasolburg,South...
Level Contributor
411 posts
16 reviews
4. Re: Torres Del Paine day excursion from El Calafate

For the amount you are paying for a guided tour, you can rent a car in Calafate and drive to Torres del Paine.

Look for accommodation within the park.

The tour you are describing would not be value for money and will be very rushed.

TDP is the jewel of Chile and desrerves at least 4 days.

Heinrich

London, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
30 reviews
5. Re: Torres Del Paine day excursion from El Calafate

Thanks for all the comments.

I am aware of how long it takes but I simply do not have any time to give to Torres Del Paine. It originally wasn't even on the itinerary. I am going to El Chalten the next day so an overnight trip is not going to give me any more time.

Given that, would you do a full day excursion or none at all?

Santiago
Level Contributor
493 posts
14 reviews
6. Re: Torres Del Paine day excursion from El Calafate

If that's the case, I would prefer to rent a car and do it by my own departing very early....

London, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
30 reviews
7. Re: Torres Del Paine day excursion from El Calafate

I'm open to hiring a car and doing it ourselves, which is what I would normally do but I see the main benefit of the tour is that I can get some sleep on the bus (after a couple of long days hiking)

Hiring a car obviously gives a bit more freedom and might free up an hour or two but there's no stress at all with the tour.. (other than being restricted to their itinerary).

The tour it is for me I think, so if anyone does have a preference over the firms listed please let me know. Thanks, Ian

Hamilton, Ontario...
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
8. Re: Torres Del Paine day excursion from El Calafate

We did the full day tour from El Calafate with Southroad / Patagonia Extrema just a couple of weeks ago - would highly recommend this tour. It was very well organized, we took in many vantage points around Torres Del Paine, and the tour guide was well informed and spoke both Spanish & English. The cost was $110 US per person including lunch. The border crossings did not take long at all. The 4x4 bus was surprisingly comfortable for the long trip.

London, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
30 reviews
9. Re: Torres Del Paine day excursion from El Calafate

We decided not to do the tour in the end as we were told by the tour firms we would only have 3-4 hours in the park and no time for any trails.

I didn't come across the company you mention, only Caltur, Chalten Travel and Always Glaciers. Thanks for the update though, maybe you could give others an idea of the time you left and got back at.

Thanks

Hamilton, Ontario...
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
10. Re: Torres Del Paine day excursion from El Calafate

Pick-up was from 7am (I think we were picked up around 7:20), and we got back about 8:30pm.

Get answers to your questions about Torres del Paine...