We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ecocamp to Towers Base day walk - how strenuous?

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
7 posts
33 reviews
Ecocamp to Towers Base day walk - how strenuous?

We have 4 nights booked at EcoCamp in late October and plan to do the walk to the base of the Towers - can anyone give me an idea of how strenuous this is, how much uphill and how long it takes ?

This is just the day walk, not the circuit.

Thanks!

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
11,534 posts
30 reviews
1. Re: Ecocamp to Towers Base day walk - how strenuous?

Is this the viewpoint? From the Hotel Las Torres and back you would take about 8 hours round trip at a conservative estimate. Add any time between the start and Ecocamp, if that is your starting point. The hike is only moderately strenuous, and parts very easy, until the last 45 minutes or so when you reach a moraine with various sizes of boulders you have to get over. If you google "moraine viewpoint torres del paine" and then look at images, you can see what it looks like. Hiking poles are a huge help, especially coming down.

Make sure you have enough daylight. Sunrise and sunset in October:

…weather.com/climate/…

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
7 posts
33 reviews
2. Re: Ecocamp to Towers Base day walk - how strenuous?

Thanks for the info. Yes those boulders look 'interesting'. I was debating about taking my poles, but now see it will be worthwhile.

The day trip is part of the EcoCamp's trip agenda so I assume that they will start and end within daylight hours.

Thanks again, very excited: Santiago, Torres Del Paine, Puerto Varas, San Pedro de Atacama then to Rio de Janeiro and relaxing in Armação dos Búzios before home. Turning 50 will be great!

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
11,534 posts
30 reviews
3. Re: Ecocamp to Towers Base day walk - how strenuous?

Have a lovely birthday trip!

Santiago
Level Contributor
493 posts
14 reviews
4. Re: Ecocamp to Towers Base day walk - how strenuous?

If you are a regular hikker it shouldn't be a problem, anyway, Ecocamp staff guides will see in terrain if you are ok for that hike or if you aren't.

It is such a nice hike that normally people does not even note the 4 orr 5 hours uphill....enjoy it !!!

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
7 posts
33 reviews
5. Re: Ecocamp to Towers Base day walk - how strenuous?

Thanks! So looking forward to Torres Del Paine, and this trek is a highlight.

6. Re: Ecocamp to Towers Base day walk - how strenuous?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 02:19