We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are flights to Kau Samui expensive in July???

1 post
Save Topic
Are flights to Kau Samui expensive in July???

My partner and I are going over to Thailand for 2 weeks. We're staying in Bangkok for 8 nights and Koh Samui for 6. We were originally going to Phuket but no one informed us about the horrible weather there that time of year so we've changed our minds. I'd assume it would be more expensive is Koh Samui because of the better weather then?? Anyone have any thoughts or opinions. Very confused and need to book within the next week.

Also best hotels to stay at???

perth
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are flights to Kau Samui expensive in July???

HI

July is dry season in Koh Samui ( east coast) whereas Phuket ( west coast ) you will be in wet season. Koh Samui you will be in high season.

Regarding flights the flights to Koh Samui is never cheap. The price seems to be the same all year round. Thhe might have sale but mostly on low season and often offer to Thai resident only koh Samui airport is privately own by Bangkok airways, there are tow airlines fly to and from Bangkok. They are Thai ( 2 flights dialy ) Bangkok airways ( 12 flights daily).

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
22,213 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are flights to Kau Samui expensive in July???

Hi,

You could fly into Surat Thani on the mainland and then take a bus to Don Sak Pier (1.5 hours). Journey time by ferry to Koh Samui is about another hour. While this option is a lot cheaper it does cost more in terms of time spent travelling and waiting for a bus/ferry.

Check out Nok Air and Air Asia for cheap flights.

Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
1,178 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are flights to Kau Samui expensive in July???

You can save money by flying to Surat Thani first then get a connecting bus/van to Don Sak pier and ferry to Samui. There is a transfer desk at the airport with combined tickets for around 500 baht.

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
10,940 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are flights to Kau Samui expensive in July???

I'm wondering who you expected to inform you of the weather at different times of the year ?, surely its your responsibility to at least do some basic research ?

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,804 posts
371 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are flights to Kau Samui expensive in July???

Hi

There is no guarantee that Phuket will have any more horrible weather at that time of year than Samui, however, there is a much greater risk and whatever, the seas around Phuket are rough. I know folks who go every year to Phuket and have a great time, they might not see any rain, or might see a lot.

There are never any cheap flights to Samui. The earlier you book the cheaper they will be. It is not dependent on the weather, its because the airport is owned by Bangkok Airways and they have not allowed the budget airlines to use the airport.

If you are worried about the costs then the Air Asia / Nok Air Flight / bus / ferry options are cheap - but take 5-7 hours, and you will have to use the other airport at Bangkok, DMK Don Muang.

Also best hotels to stay at???

A] Best for what?? Best for your budget? Best for your requirements? Best for location? What is best? When posting a new question about your trip I think the things that TA always suggests posters do to get the best advice, include: Your budget; Your travel companions; Your part of town; Your likes, dislike. So, along with where you intend to journey to, you need to consider your actual budget [what can you afford], where and what time you fly in and out; likes and dislikes [not just your interests], your expectations for the holiday, your style, your requirements / must haves or must avoids, how far do you want to travel and how you want to travel, what have you shortlisted, what appeals and what have you thought ‘no way’ etc etc etc.

stockport
Level Contributor
1,944 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Are flights to Kau Samui expensive in July???

The first thing I would do is check yourself if they are expensive, how is anyone supposed to know if what you call expensive or not

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
26,007 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are flights to Kau Samui expensive in July???

Yes, it's monsoon in Phuket then, but I wouldn't say the weather is horrible, usually short heavy downpours followed by sunshine, but the trade off is that hotel prices are heavily discounted and there's a lot to do in Phuket even when it rains. Seas can be rough though so if swimming in clear, calm seas are a definite then you need to head to Samui side and either decide to pay the price of flying direct to Samui or go the cheaper alternative and fly to Surat Thani with bus/ferry transfers to Samui (which will obviously take much longer). Hotel prices on Samui will also be more expensive

8. Re: Are flights to Kau Samui expensive in July???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 April 2017, 13:17
Get answers to your questions about Chaweng