We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from OR Tambo to Sefapane

Mumbai City...
4 posts
Driving from OR Tambo to Sefapane

We are planning to drive directly from OR Tambo airport to Sefapane lodge in first week of June. We will be starting at around 3pm from the airport. What route should we take and how long will it take? Is it safe to drive on the last stretch post sunset?

6 replies to this topic
Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
5,688 posts
1. Re: Driving from OR Tambo to Sefapane

About 575 km, or 550 km, depending on whether you take the fastest (575km) or shortest (550km) route ( Not a big difference).

This will take in excess of 6 hours. Realistically I would estimate closer to 7 1/2 hours, or more, on account of having to drive in darkness, for part of the route, and therefore having to keep to a reduced speed.

Sunset in Johannesburg during the first week of June is about 17h23, and a few minutes earlier, as you proceed Eastwards (Sunset Phalaborwa about 17h15).

This means you will be driving in darkness for more than half the drive, on unfamiliar roads.

Just be aware that you would need to keep "an eye open" for potholes in the road, as well as possible pedestrians, and animals, in or near the road, which may be difficult to spot in time, in the dark, on an unlit rural road, if your speed is too high.

Personally, I would prefer to spend the night in accommodation near the airport, and undertake the drive the next day, when rested, and alert, in full daylight, all the way, especially if I were not completely familiar with the route/conditions.

Good luck, enjoy!

2. Re: Driving from OR Tambo to Sefapane

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 08 May 2017, 15:10

Mumbai City...
4 posts
3. Re: Driving from OR Tambo to Sefapane

Thanks a lot Gavin! Really helpful

Mumbai City...
4 posts
4. Re: Driving from OR Tambo to Sefapane

Are there any BnBs or guest houses roughly 3 hours from Johannesburg on the way to Kruger?

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
5,688 posts
5. Re: Driving from OR Tambo to Sefapane

You could actually look at a route via Dullstroom.

This is a little shorter (just under 500Km, I THINK), but I don't know how the road is..

Dullstroom has a number of nice BnB's, lodges in the area, and it is about 1/2 way, if you take the route.. OR Tambo ... N12/N4 to Belfast... R540 to Dullstroom..... R540 Dullstroom to Lydenburg..........from Lydenburg take the R36, then the R530, to Phalaborwa.

Please note, I have not driven this route, beyond Dullstroom in the last 5 years, so I have no idea about road conditions, etc.

Others will know more.

Perhaps someone else can advise on the road conditions along this route.

Otherwise, if you take the N1 North, past Bela Bela and Polokwane, there are lots of places to stay around Polokwane...

Just google " accommodation in Dullstroom", and "accommodation in Polokwane", you'll find something.

All the best.

Mumbai City...
4 posts
6. Re: Driving from OR Tambo to Sefapane

Great! will book a place for the night, thanks!

Reply to: Driving from OR Tambo to Sefapane
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Phalaborwa