We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Driving Route from Johannesburg to Phalaborwa

Bangor, Maine
Level Contributor
62 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Best Driving Route from Johannesburg to Phalaborwa

I'll be driving directly from OR Tambo airport to Phalaborwa and wondered the best route to take - both in terms of safety and scenery. It seems that taking the N1/R71 or the N4/R36 will take around the same amount of time, but can anyone comment on which might be better? Less traffic? More scenery? Nicer towns to stop off in?

Thanks

10 replies to this topic
Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
9,436 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Driving Route from Johannesburg to Phalaborwa

Easy answer. When you leave the airport, immediately take the R21North. When you get to Pretoria, take the N1. When you approach Polokwane, you will bypass the town on the N1, and then exit onto the R71. Infinitely less traffic. Far fewer knots in the stomach. I don't see many places worth stopping at till maybe Tzaneen. That is a beautiful area.

Edited: 03 May 2014, 00:09
Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Driving Route from Johannesburg to Phalaborwa

If you are willing to drive potholed roads I can recommend the road via Dullstroom, Lydenburg, Ohrigstad. Definitely the most scenic route. I drove this road 2 weeks ago, even with the potholes (last 20km before Phala really really bad) we still prefer this too the N1. Also the N4 definitely less traffic especially once you turnoff at Belfast going towards Dullstroom and much better options to stop along the way. Dullstroom is a very quaint little village and a great stop for lunch/ breakfast. If you do decide to take this route just be really careful and lookout for the potholes. Then in Ohrigstad there is a little centre where you can stop as well with a great little butchery...the name is now escaping me.

Edited: 03 May 2014, 21:23
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Driving Route from Johannesburg to Phalaborwa

Distance kilometres

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,827 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Driving Route from Johannesburg to Phalaborwa

Over Easter, do not take the N1 route. (many pilgrims going to a place near Polokwane)

Pretoria, South...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Driving Route from Johannesburg to Phalaborwa

I want to go to Tzaneen during the easter weekend. Which is the best route from Pretoria in order to avoid the pilgrims going to Polokwane?

Pretoria, South...
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Driving Route from Johannesburg to Phalaborwa

best route to take to Tzaneen during the eater weekend from Pretoria. I want to avoid the N1 due to the pilgrims traveling to polokwane

Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Driving Route from Johannesburg to Phalaborwa

Good to read all this. We are arriving in JNB on Saturday 15th and will be travelling to Tzaneen. Kruger is actually our destination but we fear we would get there way too late.

Can anyone tell me which route to take instead of the N1?

Thank you so much!!

Regards,

Sylvie

Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Driving Route from Johannesburg to Phalaborwa

Is the R71 from Pretoria an option or would be be better of taking the R25 and N11 from JNB?

Thanks,

Sylvie

Pretoria, South...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Driving Route from Johannesburg to Phalaborwa

Hi there

You can use the N4 via Belfast, Lydenburg however it has potholes on the road.

Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Driving Route from Johannesburg to Phalaborwa

I'll check this route. Thank you KulaniSharon

Reply to: Best Driving Route from Johannesburg to Phalaborwa
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Phalaborwa