We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Foiano della Chiana - public transport

Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Foiano della Chiana - public transport

Hi,

My family (17 of us!) are renting a villa on the outskirts of Foiano della Chiana this August. We are spending a few days in Florence first and then making our way south to Foiano. We are in the process of investigating car hire - whether to hire from Florence, from Foiano, or at all! The big question at the moment is whether we will really need cars. Does anybody know whether it is possible/easy to get a bus or train to places such as Arezzo or Cortano and how to find out more info on this? Any help would be ENORMOUSLY appreciated. :)

Grazie mille,

Katy

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Arezzo
Arezzo
Province of Arezzo, Italy
2 replies to this topic
Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,543 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Foiano della Chiana - public transport

Foiano is probably better than many towns for buses and I would imagine (tho' do not know for certain) that there are buses at least to Arezzo, and possibly Camucia below Cortona. However, as with all public transport in these parts, the schedule will be designed around people going to work and kids going to college rather than visitors wanting to sightsee. Also, where precisely is the villa located, ie is it on a bus route? (Villa owner will be able yo confirm that.) Plus, how do you plan to shop for 17 people if you don't have stores within easy walking distance (and a basket on wheels)? Frankly, you will need a car if you are to get the most out of your visit. In addition to the towns mentioned, I would definitely try to see: Lucignano, Monte San Salvino, Civitella and perhaps make a little tour of the southern Chianti. Montepulciano too isn't far. But as with all the others it's best done with a car.

Mentioned in this post
Arezzo
Arezzo
Cortona
Cortona
Montepulciano
Montepulciano
Province of Siena, Italy
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Foiano della Chiana - public transport

Thanks for your reply lastraniera - really appreciated as this is an area that I just don't know! Not too worried about the shopping as the butcher and the central store in Foiano will both deliver to the villa so that's ok. I think that you're right though about needing a car to really get out and about and make good of the visit. 17 people is going to be quite a group to organise - ranging from 3 to 70 years old with a gaggle of teenagers in the middle! - so cars would allow each family group to be a bit more independent. Thanks again for your help - I'm now going to research car hire! :)

Reply to: Foiano della Chiana - public transport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Foiano Della Chiana