We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skiathos in winter

knutsford
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Skiathos in winter

As a regular visitor in the summer I have often thought about visiting the island for a short break in Jan / Feb , is it worth going ? Are many hotels and restaurants open ?

Skiathos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Skiathos
Level Contributor
7,946 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Skiathos in winter

A short break means flying in or out, either on a Friday or Sunday.

The worst of the winter weather, is usualy late January/early February.

The best time to visit for an out of season break, is around 20th November, for Panagia Kounistra, or at Carnival time in late February early March.

knutsford
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Skiathos in winter

Thanks for the

info , do you know the dates of the carnival time 2015 ?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Skiathos in winter

Hey and welcome steve456:-) Easy enough to goolgle.. festivities begin on Feb 1st.. through the 22nd;-) FWIW, have been to the Sporades in both Jan and Feb.. and every month throughout the year;-) I personally love the off season.. and you will NOT go hungry.. there are enough cafes, tavernas to keep the locals happy.. enough for any off-season visitor if weather is not an issue;-) Go for it.. and EnJOY!

knutsford
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Skiathos in winter

Hi Litsa, thanks for the advice I will take a look at Google and try to plan a trip around the festivities , cannot wait now ! The weather is not an issue I was just concerned about finding a hotel and food but you have reassured me . Do you have any tips on flights etc ?

Skiathos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Skiathos
Level Contributor
7,946 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Skiathos in winter

2015 Greek Carnival Dates

Triodion: Sunday, February 1st

Tsiknopempti or "Burnt Thursday": February 12th

Tsiknopempti Weekend: Friday, February 13th - Sunday, February 15th

Main Carnival Weekend: Friday, February 20th - Sunday, February 22nd

Clean Monday: February 23rd

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Skiathos in winter

My pleasure steve456.. and there ya go with the specifics.. Thanks SL1;-))

As far as flights, am guessing you'll need to go through Athens like the rest of us coming the distance, lol! Would sign up with email alerts now at www.aegeanair.com/ who have merged with www.olympicair.com/ Some great deals to be had;-)

Another option.. one I've used many times including this Fall .. is a bus from Thessaloniki to Volos (about 2.5 hours.. from where you can catch the ferry over:-) You can check for ferries at www.gtp.gr/ www.openseas.gr/ as well as for flights to SKG.. great City for an overnighter.. or two;-) Keep us posted.. keep Enjoyin'!

7. Re: Skiathos in winter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 November 2015, 13:16
Get answers to your questions about Skiathos Town
Recent Conversations