We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Caltagirone - 7 week holiday

Haarlem, The...
2 posts
Save Topic
Caltagirone - 7 week holiday

Hi, we are flying from Rome to Catania on the 19th August and have booked to stay for 7 nights (yes really 7 nights) in a hotel in Caltagirone, because we can get a really cheap rate as my husband works for the hotel chain there. I'm having kittens because I'm super worried that we won't have enough to do as we are not planning on renting a car! and we have a daughter who is 10 years old. I was looking into public transport, but think that the train to Gela is gone (been demolished!) and that buses are infrequent (latest bus to come home from Gela is around 17:38!) I can see that there is a bus from the Catania airport to the Hospital close by the hotel - but really any ideas if a week here is really too long!?

24 replies to this topic
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
103,624 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: Caltagirone - 7 week holiday

Hi claire s,

The last posting was an update to the information about the suspended Villabus service in Post 3.

Vagabonda

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Caltagirone - 7 week holiday

As long as I can still get from Catania airport to Caltagirone I'm happy!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
103,624 posts
Save Reply
23. Re: Caltagirone - 7 week holiday

Well then you should be happy claire s! :-)

Vagabonda

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Caltagirone - 7 week holiday

Hi Vagabonda, just back from Sicily and it was great. We got the AST bus from the airport to Caltagirone, and got dropped at Ospedale. The scenery from our balcony overlookig Caltagirone was breathtaking. We found a great restaurant Mamadina and also a couple of wonderful Gelaterias. Caltagirone was wonderful, we went to the ceramic museum and that was really interesting and went up the 142 ceramic steps, and the rest of the time we spent round the pool! After three days we went to Catania, along the beach. I found the taxi fare from the airport to the hotel expensive at 23 euros for a maximum 5 km, but nothing to do about it. The hotels along this part of Catania are a bit isolated, there is a bus service, line D, but that runs every hour and the last bus back was 21:30 from Catania. Catania was pleasant and there is lots to see, just I wouldn't recommend it for August - it was full of tourists! What we did find within walking distance of our hotel was a restaurant in Villaggio Turistico Internazionale La Plaja, that served pizza with a fantastic view over the beach and when we ate at 20:00 we were the only ones on the terrace, and I mean you can't go wrong in Sicily with pizza can you? We also had during the day a fantastic view of the planes taking off 😜. Also my husband and daughter went in an organised tour of Mount Etna, that was really well worth the money they came back full of stories and information. Thanks again for your help and advice and we'd love to go back and see Sicily again.

Reply to: Caltagirone - 7 week holiday
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Caltagirone