We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling from Tokyo to Alpine route & Shirakawago

6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Travelling from Tokyo to Alpine route & Shirakawago

Dear All,

I’m planning a trip from Tokyo to Alpine & Shirakawago in June with my family of 4( 2 kids ages 3 & 9 )..I need some help to plan the itenarary..my exact visit date will be 20th June

Day 1

Leave from Tokyo to Nagano for the Alpine route, I’m from Singapore so my kids have never seen the snow , so they are pretty exicited to visit the snow wall in Murado.

After Alpine route from Toyama take the Shinkansen to Kanazawa and later Nohi bus to Shirakawago for farm stay.

Day 2

Explore the village at Shirakawago and leave for Takayama , take train to Kyoto via Nagoya

Please advice if it’s possible to take this tour and what time should I leave Alpine route in order to reach Shirakawago ryokan by 6pm..

Thanks in anticipation

3 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
7,314 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling from Tokyo to Alpine route & Shirakawago

Although June is not the busiest month for the Alpine Route, yet to start from Tokyo and finish the day in Shirakawa-go is too rushed. It is almost 4 hrs by trains with transfers from Tokyo to Shinano Omachi for the start of the Alpine Route on the eastern end. After the route it’s another 2 hrs from Tateyama by train with a transfer in Toyama to Kanazawa and the latest bus to Shirakawa-go leaves Kanazawa at 16.00. Taking the above into account you will have very little time up there on the Alpine Route which normally will take 6-7 hrs at least during the peak season from late April to late May.

Skipping Kanazawa there is a 18.55-20.15 bus from Toyama to Shirakawa-go, but then you will most probably miss the evening meal provided by most ryokans. If you intend to take this bus contact your lodging to see if they can arrange a late meal for you.

6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling from Tokyo to Alpine route & Shirakawago

Hi William,

Thank you very much for your reply , i agree that would be too rush to opt for a Ryokan stay at Shirakawago..Would you recommend any good Ryokan stay at Kanazawa or Toyama ? We want to have a good Ryokan experience ,yet enjoy the Alpine route - probably next day we can go to Shirakawago on our way to Kyoto.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
7,314 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling from Tokyo to Alpine route & Shirakawago

I’m not aware of any traditional Japanese ryokan in Kanazawa or Toyama. In both places we stayed in budget business hotels to cut cost. Less than half an hour drive from Kanazawa is Yuwaku Onsen.

http://yuwaku.gr.jp/en/

Reply to: Travelling from Tokyo to Alpine route & Shirakawago
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted