We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tips on Tha Kek

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
18 posts
19 reviews
19 helpful votes
Tips on Tha Kek
Save

A few tips on a short break in Tha Kek:

Central town is located around the fountain and a t-junction there. Go right to go past the Inthira hotel and on toward the Southida guesthouse. The Sabaidee cafe is located on the right hand side of the road opposite the Inthira Hotel.

Best breakfasts in town: Sabaidee cafe but the worst coffee I've ever tasted, western breakfasts are filling and about 30.000.

Inhira hotel: Good coffee and desserts but everythig else gets expensive.

Bike rentals: very friendly chinese owned rentals on the road opposite the Sabaidee cafe front, the owner has free maps of the local area, speaks great english.

Toursim office: 30 minute walk out of town and in a location only the most die-hard trekseeking fans will find so forget about finding other people for your tours. They are a bit pricey and I get the impression they dont do very much especially in the rainy season.

Sights: The local NPA is awesome but you can see a lot of it by yourself on the back of a motorbike. There are several caves with questionably useful sign posts along route 12 (grab copy of the motorbike rental shops maps above), in the rainy season all were too hard to get to as the bike wouldnt go through the ankle deep mud. Tham Nang Aen cave is now 20.000kip entry per person, its lit up likea christmas tree and I guess intriguing if you've never seen a limestone cave before but lets just say I wont be going back.

My advice: Go past the turning for the Tham Nang Aen cave, continue round the bend and look for a dirt track turning on your left (about 0.5km from Tham Nang Aen and just past a very small hamlet style collection of buildings), there should be a rice paddy field with some karst mountains in the background. You can drive up here and there are some great views of the NPA, a few small villages, lots of cows andgenerally its a great ride into the heart of the NPA on a good condition road that you cant get too lost on but leave before dark and make sure you've plenty of gas.

11 replies to this topic
Kurashiki, Japan
Level Contributor
16,161 posts
90 reviews
129 helpful votes
1. Re: Tips on Tha Kek
Save

Please post this in the "Itineraries" section, see the right hand side of this page for that.

The forums are for queries, this valuable info will only get lost in the glut of new posts, which is why we have created the "Itineraries" section.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
18 posts
19 reviews
19 helpful votes
2. Re: Tips on Tha Kek
Save

Fair point and I would like to but I can only see the itineraries link if I click 'expand' on your comment first and then when I click it just leads me straight back to this forum?

Also Re. the glut of new posts; come on, there are 2, including this one, the last was over a year ago.

If you can copy it over please feel free as I have embarassingly tried and failed.

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
6,545 posts
10 reviews
6 helpful votes
3. Re: Tips on Tha Kek
Save

can't find 'itineries' also!., I have been using TA for years but have been ubaware of this facility Sounds like it might be useful.

Kurashiki, Japan
Level Contributor
16,161 posts
90 reviews
129 helpful votes
4. Re: Tips on Tha Kek
Save

There are only 3 posts about Tha Kek but there will be a glut of other posts on the Laos forums, and your posts will get lost there.

Have a look at the top right side of the page, it is very clear the

"Top Questions about Muang Khammouan" and under that "Muang Khammouan Itineraries".

There will be here for all to see if they want a suggested itinerary for the area, no one has written one yet, yours will be the first.

Again, read the forums guidelines where it clearly states this is not a place to write a review. It is for travelers asking pertinent questions regarding future destinations.

Edited: 12 years ago
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
14 reviews
6 helpful votes
5. Re: Tips on Tha Kek
Save

Maneki

Also can't find itineraries.

Laos forum is the slowest moving forum I have ever come across. I am delighted to read the 'tips'. I don't think you should worry about a 'glut of posts'. There are no more than 5 per day!

Don't turn people off from posting. I am planning to spend 4-5 weeks in Laos next year and want all the info I can get. In every other country's forums I have been involved with, people have written reports, reviews, told about their travels and generally gotten everyone involved. I have found the Laos forum very slow, except for reviews from posters like Studebaker.

I am not sure that I know the 'pertinent questions" so I relish the review posts.

DG

Kurashiki, Japan
Level Contributor
16,161 posts
90 reviews
129 helpful votes
6. Re: Tips on Tha Kek
Save

Darwin-

I am not "worried", it is just a shame if the information gets lost under a bunch of new posts, do you see what I am saying?

Scroll up to the top of this page now. Look at the upper right hand side of the page. You will see in BOLD green letters "Top Questions about Muang Khammouan", and underneath it "Muang Khammouan Itineraries".

The administrators of Trip Advisor have added these functions, but people are too lazy to copy and paste their terrific trip reports there. If you would like to see a few I wrote up as examples on the Cambodia forum, have a look at this page, and click on one of the itineraries.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g293939-i9162-Cambodia.html

Vientiane, Laos
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
80 reviews
56 helpful votes
7. Re: Tips on Tha Kek
Save

I think what Maneki means is this. When you are is a specific forum, eg Muang Khammouan or Luang Prabang or whatever, you have a green band at the top - things to do, more etc etc. Some of these are drop down lists eg More has trip lists, travellers articles.

Kurashiki, Japan
Level Contributor
16,161 posts
90 reviews
129 helpful votes
8. Re: Tips on Tha Kek
Save

R,

That's on the LEFT side. Doesn't the "Top Questions" and "Itineraries" come up on the right side of this page, at the top?

Can you see the itineraries on the link I provided above? This should be appearing on everybody's (public) page, please let me know if you can't see it...

Vientiane, Laos
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
80 reviews
56 helpful votes
9. Re: Tips on Tha Kek
Save

No Maneki, can't see it.

I tried changing from Mozilla to IE and it is the same.

Kurashiki, Japan
Level Contributor
16,161 posts
90 reviews
129 helpful votes
10. Re: Tips on Tha Kek
Save

That's really strange, I will ask the administrators about that.

Reply to: Tips on Tha Kek
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Khammouane
Recent Conversations
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Malaysia. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.