We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safranbolu vs. Sirince

California
Level Contributor
137 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Safranbolu vs. Sirince

Hi,

I've been checking out some travel packages to Turkey. Some included Safranbolu, but some other travel agencies claimed that Sirene is a better choice over Safranbolu. I am a history junkie and LOVE visiting historical/ancient ruins more than anything else. Can anyone who's been to both places give a honest opinion about these two places?

Greatly appreciated!

Viv

4 replies to this topic
Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
37,712 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safranbolu vs. Sirince

ItchyFeetBunny, Sirince and Safranbolu are very different. Sirince is a small, pretty, pictoresque village very close (4-5 km) to world famous Ephesus ruins. You can stay at Sirince or Selcuk to see Ephesus. Sirince has become somewhat touristy with lots of tour buses visiting the village.

Safranbolu on the other hand is an authentic mid Anatolian town, much larger than Sirince, and in my view much more beautiful than Sirince. However there are no significant historical ruins in the 100 km. vicinity of Safranbolu. Safranbolu is next to Karabuk and can be reached by a bus from Istanbul. However it needs a special trip. Here are some pictures of Safranbolu. "www.safranboluevleri.net/default.asp?m=2".

good luck,

enigma...

Edited: 23 December 2011, 14:53
California
Level Contributor
137 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safranbolu vs. Sirince

Hi Enigma!

Thank you so much for the info! After reading two posts from you and another person who responded to my question, I have decided to go with the package that includes Safranbolu. I only hope there's a good travel agency out here in LA who would offer a package that includes a visit to Bogazkoy. I have always been fascinated by Hittite history just as much as Ancient Egyptian history and that is the reason why I wanted to go to Turkey so bad. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find any travel agency in the States that would go to Bogazkoy; how weird! =( This is heartbreaking. Worst of all, none of the tour I searched for would stay in Ankara more than 1 day. =(

Viv

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
37,712 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safranbolu vs. Sirince

ItchyFeetBunny, Yes, Safranbolu would be a good choice. If there are no tours available to Hattusas in USA, then it is best to use a travel agency in Turkey. This way it would be much less expensive also, because the American tour operators subcontract Turkish tour operators in any case, adding a hefty mark up over their quotes. If you want good tour operators in Turkey, have a look at the suggestions of Tom Brosnahan, a well known travel writer and author of Lonely Planet Turkey. "http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/tourop/".

You can DIY and organize your own trip to Safranbolu and Ankara and get the help of a travel agency in Ankara to customize a tour for you for Bogazkoy, from Ankara. That would be the best. This way you can stay at Ankara as much as you want. Have a look at my train trip to Ankara. "tripadvisor.com/…23262888". You can also rent a car at Ankara and visit Bogazkoy on your own. The roads are excellent. Have a look at the following link: "tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g298656-i1822-k292…", and especially: "tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g298656-i1822-k408…". All these solutions are a lot expensive than buying a tour from LA.

good luck,

enigma...

Edited: 26 December 2011, 08:17
Kusadasi
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safranbolu vs. Sirince

If I were I would prefer going to Safranbolu. Sirince is too touristy. On the other hand Ephesus is right by Sirince. Ephesus is a must see site.

Reply to: Safranbolu vs. Sirince
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sirince