We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Powell River, Canada
Level Contributor
136 posts
142 reviews
Save Topic
Best place for family lunch to celebrate 90th birthday

I am searching for somewhere nice to help celebrate my Mom's 90th birthday, Dec. 27th. The family live in Coquitlam, Port Coquitlam and Maple RIdge. There will be approximately 18 of us, 3 children included. Thanks for your help, I am from out of town so don't know the area too well .

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,747 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place for family lunch to celebrate 90th birthday

Hi there, again ~

I've had another idea, cuz I'm stuck on golf courses! I really like the setting and the ambiance. Was there something about the golf course idea that doesn't appeal to you?

http://www.tricitieschamber.com/

On the Tri-Cities Chamber of Commerce website, there is a contact us link. Why don't you do that and outline what you are looking for. Mentioning the per person budget you have in mind will help them help you. They will know all the restaurants, what they are like and which ones could accommodate our party.

Hope this helps.

Powell River, Canada
Level Contributor
136 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place for family lunch to celebrate 90th birthday

Thanks a bunch one more time. I have inquired I think at the course you suggested and didn't get a reply back from them. I have tried others and they have a minimum of 30 people. Unfortunately because of the time of year I may only be looking at 16, of which 3 are children. I will definately give them a call and see what they have to say. Thank you for your help. I thought of the Boathouse but the reviews aren't too good, very noisy so one couldn't converse. Seeing there will be 6 or so people that Mom hasn't seen in many years she needs to be able to have a conversation.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place for family lunch to celebrate 90th birthday

You might try posting on Chowhound. Someone there might have some ideas -

www.chowhound.com

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
12,224 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place for family lunch to celebrate 90th birthday

There's a restaurant called Hogan's which has pretty good food in a nice setting

http://www.hogans.ca/

Sango ( at Suter brook) has Japanese fusion and their food is excellent ( (have easten there many times.. lots of stuff besides sushi)

yelp.ca/biz/sango-japanese-restaurant-port-m…

Friends have eaten at Heritage House and raved about the food.. haven't tried it yet so can't comment personally

http://www.heritagehousepizza.com/general.htm

I would definitely NOT go to the Boathouse.. extremely noisy, with overpriced so so food!

Another place that might have a private room is Milestones.. there is one on the Barnet Hwy ( 2745) so it's near Coquitlam Center Mall.. the food is very good and grandmother gets here dinner free. if they don;t have a room they do have a section that they use to accomodate large groups.

http://www.milestonesrestaurants.com/home.php

Finally there is the Westwood Golf Club which may have been the place mentioned in first post?

Edited: 11 November 2010, 03:39
Powell River, Canada
Level Contributor
136 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place for family lunch to celebrate 90th birthday

Thank you again everyone. I check out everything. Westwood is closed for the season. I will look at the other options just mentioned.

Powell River, Canada
Level Contributor
136 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place for family lunch to celebrate 90th birthday

Just wanted to let everyone that was so helpful know the results of our celebration I needed help with. We just celebrated my Mom's 90th birthday yesterday at the Meadow Garden's Golf Course. We couldn't have been happier. The staff, Claire and Andrea in the Loft area were very helpful. I would highly recommend using this venue for celebrations. There were about 23 of us and because of the slow holiday season we enjoyed the upper floor (loft) almost to oursleves. I am sure it could be a lot busier at other times of the year. They do have many other areas to hold private functions for larger groups though. It was the best halibut and chips I have had in a long time. We chose from a mini menu and I never heard any complaints from the guests. Our children decorated the room with pryamids of 90 brightly coloured balloons abd adorned the 2 large tables with 2 dozen freshly potted plants in heart containers, one for each guest to take home. Thank you to everyone for your help in choosing a venue.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best place for family lunch to celebrate 90th birthday

Thank you for reporting back to us. So glad that the special day was a success!

8. Re: Best place for family lunch to celebrate 90th birthday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 June 2011, 12:19
Get answers to your questions about Port Moody