“I'll walk next time, thanks.”
Review of air berlin (no longer operating)

Reviewed 25 September 2017

Our troubles started in Berlin.. the airport couldn't have been more chaotic. We though nothing could be worse than Stanstead (UK), but we were proven wrong! No one seemed to know what line we should go in... they sent us to the gate, then the gate refused us and sent us to a long long line. Who then sent us to another line to drop off luggage and back to long line again. We had a few hours to have them hold the plane for us. THEN, we get to Milan... no luggage. No one had any idea about anything.. no compensation, NOTHING. We left our info and 3 days later... after smelling quite ripe we did have our luggage. NEVER again will I fly Air Berlin... and I hope that you don't either.

Reviewed 25 September 2017

This poem sums up my air berlin experience:

Airberlin, oh where do I even begin?
When we first met I thought you were great,
My flights went so well on our first date.
Got me to Oktoberfest in a flash,
I never even thought the plane would crash.
Then after two days of drinking beer,
Things took a turn with you my dear.
You cancelled my flight without letting me know,
Left me stranded in Munich with nowhere to go.
You abandoned me without a word,
When I called there was not an answer to be heard.
The ticket lady told me you were broke,
That's when I realized things were going up in smoke.
You wasted both my money and time,
I bought a ticket home on another airline.
Your heart shaped chocolates were all a lie,
You never loved me, this is goodbye.

4  Thank chaseleisenring
Reviewed 24 September 2017

our flight from Phuket was cancelled, with out warning, with no one from Air Berlin at the airport to assist we were left high and dry to sort out our own problems.

Reviewed 24 September 2017 via mobile

Don't fly Airberlin unless you're going somewhere without needing any luggage. My flight was $50 but I paid $107 extra in fees because my bag weighed 17kg instead of the allowed 8kg. Hardly a good deal, and this was on a one-way flight. To add insult to injury, the plane smelled like a sweaty gym, the seats are crammed in so tight that your legs can barely fit without jamming into the seat back in front of you, and you can't even get a free glass of water. But hey, we didn't crash so there's that.

Reviewed 22 September 2017

Based on reviews, the fact that this is considered a budget carrier and the fact that it was under bankruptcy, I was not expecting half as much service as we received. Granted we were in business class and were on one of their long haul premium routes, but this was about the best business class I have experienced when compared to American legacy carriers. Yes, it is not Singapore Airlines or Lufthansa. On sale tickets were 1K each way as opposed to the regular carriers 6.5K. That is a steal. We did get a standard A330 aircraft which probably also helped. There was no last minute substitution either direction. The aircraft were fresh and new. Both flights left and arrived on schedule. I was certain we would find angry, discouraged crew, but it was the exact opposite. Every person was gracious and constantly checking on us as to whether we needed anything. I am not a fan of airline food, but this was amazingly good and imaginative. The flight attendants would emerge from the galley simultaneously and present each course to me and my spouse together. I have never seen this done on aircraft, only restaurants. They would even offer seconds. Everything worked at our seats, and the IFE was of standard quality. Maybe we were lucky or the long haul flights are different that the short runs within Europe. Needless to say I am very disappointed in their retreat from SFO coming soon. The idea that we could fly nonstop to Berlin from San Francisco was amazing. Obviously something is wrong with their business model if they are hemorrhaging money for so many years. One should not have to recommend flying business class to get the best service. That is a shame since our flights showed they can pull it off from the customer's perspective. I guess it will be dismantled with the spoils going to other carriers. That is sad since consolidation never works in any customer's favor.

1  Thank Russ855