“BRITISH AIRWAYS NOW BUDGET AIRWAYS?”
Review of British Airways

Reviewed 26 September 2017

BA check in staff kindly placed PRIORITY tags on our baggage at Heathrow Airport- we are Frequent Flyer members of one of their ONE WORLD Partners. These bags were last off aircraft at Phoenix and we thought they had been mislaid.

The 747 aircraft we flew on has seen better days. Air conditioning above our seats didn't work; seating tighter than sardiines in a tin; food offered made Kentucky Fried meals taste feel like the Ritz.. Boarding of our late running flight a disorganised shambles.

Cabin Crew did a remarkeably good job considering the trying circumstances they were working under, and are to be praised.

British Airways used to be an outstanding Airline with a deservedly proud reputation. After 2 flights with them in under a month, sadly, the Airline has gone backwards and flying with them again in future, would be only after other options have been considered first.

david r, nz

Reviewed 26 September 2017

Our flight to Brindisi was delayed by almost three hours due to an engineering fault. Airlines are supposed to provide refreshments in the case of delays of two or more hours but despite asking we were brushed off with the advice to 'go on ba.com'. Very, very poor customer service. On the flight back (which was also delayed) the plane was dirty with used tissues in the pocket on the back of the seat and peanuts on the floor! BA used to be very good but their standards have dropped and I have had a better experience with easyjet.

Reviewed 25 September 2017

We were asked to eat in the lounge since there is no dinner on the flight. The lounge offered a buffet style with some acceptable choices.
However, my daughter and grandsons were asked to go to the gate to board families with children about 75 minutes before the flight. About 25 minutes later we were asked to go to the gate. When I went to the gate l stayed inline with all passengers traveling in all classes.
One hour into the flight we were offered a choice among two items for a light meal. The chicken salad l selected tasted awful with decaying greens. I refused to eat it.
The breakfast was not much better either.
You can definitely feel that the airline skimps on types and quality of food items.
The flight arrived to London on time. The same with the connecting flight to Cairo.
However BA mishandled the stroller of my grandson. They took on the plane in Boston to be delivered in Cairo.
We stayed two hours after our arrival to Cairo airport looking for the stroller. After the two hours my daughter was instructed to file a missing item report and we left without it.
We got the stroller the following day.
The food and service quality in BA used to be much better. I hope the airline can work on improving.

Reviewed 25 September 2017

I had a problem with a passenger ,about reclining my chair ,,,I spoke to a staff member and they asked me if I would up my seat back up ...I informed them No as if I had wanted to fly Easy Jet I would have , and being out my hotel and being delayed I was very tired and just wanted to go to sleep, I also pointed out that if there seats were not suppose to recline then they wouldn't ... I was also the only passenger to be asked at breakfast to put my chair in the up right position. as the guy in front of me had his chair back and nothing was said until, I suggested to the stewardess that I was the only passenger that was being discriminated ....I would never flight British Airways if I can help it .....shocking service for a mediocre Flight

Reviewed 25 September 2017

As I mentioned in my previous review of 10th July concerning a similar flight my wife and I took on 20th May, it is my own personal view that the current Chief Executive & Chairman of British Airways, Alejandro Cruz de Llano, a Spaniard, has deliberately and spitefully introduced food and drink charges in Economy as a penalty for the UK voting for Brexit and to squeeze every ounce of flesh that he can from passengers who are still loyal to what was once our proud and dominant national airline but is now, under his stewardship, nothing more than a tin-pot no-frills economy outfit that is no better and considerably more expensive than the other carriers that provide direct flights to and from Gibraltar. Despite a good flight overall with a fantastic cabin crew who, despite being on the usual back to back quick turnaround flight to and from Gibraltar, were truly excellent in looking after all the passengers in Economy and tending to our needs, the fact is that the interior of the aircraft had not been properly cleaned, if at all, in that some disgusting individual on the flight out, or perhaps even prior to that, had left chewing gum on the floor directly in front of the seat in which my wife was sitting in the extra legroom emergency exit seat by the port wing for which we always pay extra. I appreciate that some may find this a petty complaint but suffice to say that when my wife needed to get up to go to the toilet, her shoe had stuck solidly to the floor which not only meant that she had to go to the toilet in bare feet but also posed a safety risk if an emergency evacuation had proved necessary through the emergency exit next to her. A further complaint is that the introduction of charging for food & drink by card has resulted in the poor, hard-working cabin crew being stuck with their trolley in the sole aisle on the A320 for virtually the entire flight. Given that the flight was full, there was no room for those wishing to go to the toilets to squeeze past the trolley to the toilets at the rear of the aircraft meaning that those of us wishing to go to and from the toilets had to wait a considerable time both to get from our seats to the toilets and then back to our seats afterwards. In no way do I blame the cabin crew for this as they were working as quickly, efficiently & professionally as possible to accept the card payments from passengers but the fact is that this takes time, particularly on a relatively short flight such as those to & from Gibraltar, and had they pushed the trolley to the rear of the aircraft to allow people to get to and from the toilets at any time someone wanted to go, they would probably have only been able to serve half the passengers with food and drink. Indeed, there is a health and safety issue at stake here in that when I eventually got to the toilets, not only was I busting a gut but afterwards, I was stuck in the galley at the rear of the plane with 8 other people until the cabin crew were in a position to temporarily return to the rear galley with their trolley so as to let a queue of passengers get to the toilets by using the rear galley as a waiting room and replacing those who were already there who were then able to return to their seats. All in all, a complete and utter shambles, not least the fact that the poor female hostess had to keep returning to the rear galley when passengers sitting in seats towards the rear of the aircraft were ordering items that had sold out on the trolley and contort herself past the 9 of us waiting there to open cupboards at all levels to obtain the items required. My one wish is that Cruz de Llano takes the time and trouble to board one of these crowded Gibraltar flights, sits in a standard Economy seat rather than the First Class or Club seat that he is used to, uses his card to pay for his food and drink and sees what it’s like for both passengers and the cabin crew because of his draconian measure to impose payment for food and drink. On that topic, and no doubt while supping on the free and different food and drink in First Class or Club, he seems to think that there has been an improvement because of M&S providing the fayre. Well let me disabuse him of that notion because my wife and I both had the so-called “Farmhouse cheddar cheese ploughman’s” and it was wholly disgusting, totally inedible and tasted like cardboard. It was quite simply the worst food I have ever had on any flight during my 42 years of Government Service and since I retired in 2014. In addition, if he really believes that the sole lager now on board, namely Heineken, is an improvement on the Tiger that was available before his intervention, then the man wouldn’t know a good beer if it bit him in the leg. So, to sum up, my wife and I consider that the flight crew and the cabin crew worked extremely hard to make the flight as enjoyable as possible and their sterling efforts for a paltry wage are the only reason that we will ever travel by British Airways again. The fact that their excellent work continues to be fatally undermined by the petty & draconian decisions of their dreadful Chief Executive/Chairman that are designed solely to gain him an obscenely big bonus while drastically reducing quality is why my wife and I have chosen Emirates rather than British Airways Business Class for our trips to Thailand & Bali later this year and early next year.

33  Thank David_Dubery