“NOT RECOMENDED TO FLY WITH”
Review of British Airways

Reviewed 24 November 2017

We purchased 2 business class tickets to London, Dublin Ireland, Split Croatia, back to London, and then onto Singapore.
The flight from Sydney to London was on aircraft type Boeing 777. Cabin configuration is somewhat confusing with the seat next to you facing the other way. As my wife didn’t like the fact she had to travel ‘going backwards’ I volunteered. I found the seating quite narrow and as I am 6’2” the bed, when fully flat, was not as long as I had hoped for (hence one of the reasons paying extra for business class) Apart from a small draw, presumably for shoes, there is nowhere to put anything, and I mean anything, not even a bottle of water. During the night’s sleep I woke up disoriented and somewhat claustrophobic, and having to step over the persons feet in front of me seemed quite weird. With poor food and food choices we didn’t enjoy the trip to London.
London to Dublin: Boarding passes for this flight was given to us in Sydney and we were separated. Ground staff in Sydney told us we would have to take it up with British Airways in London to be put together. We were told the flight was full and we couldn’t change our seats. It seems British Airways are more intent on selling seat numbers for extra revenue than putting families together.
When we boarded the Airbus 320 to Dublin, we thought the whole configuration was economy. In fact, all the seating i.e. seat cover, seat size and leg room are all the same throughout the aircraft. The only difference is there is a fixed tray in the middle seat (only 2 passengers per row) and the position of the dividing curtain. If they sell 8 10 or 12 business seats, they simply move the curtain up or down on its tracks as sales dictate. You also get a slightly better meal (free of course) whereas economy has to buy their meals/snacks. On this leg (London Dublin-Dublin London) we would have saved a lot of money and travelled economy.
Dublin to London: The only part of our journey in economy class. We received our boarding passes for the Airbus 320 to London and were seated near the rear galley where we could hear one of the cabin crew talks about his false teeth to the delight of his fellow crew who were laughing all the way to takeoff. It was like an episode from “Come Fly With Me” quite frankly. disgusting behaviour.
London to Split-Croatia: Now I would have thought that business class would be better, not so, and I shouldn’t have been optimistic. Same aircraft, same seating, same not so good food. Very disappointing. Once again, we should have travelled economy and saved hundreds of dollars.
Split to London: We decided, as it was an afternoon flight, to spend a couple of hours in the business class lounge. After Customs we made our way to the lounge only to be told British Airways doesn’t have a lounge at Split, nor do they have any contract with Split Airport to use the lounge. It would have been good if somebody had told us beforehand. So, what are we getting for our dollars? We get the same seats as economy; we all fight for a seat at the boarding gate because there are hundreds of people and not enough chairs, but wait, we don’t pay for our meal on the plane!! Further to this to make the story complicated, the flight was delayed "seven hours". It was caused by a lightning strike out of London. British Airways do not have any ground staff at Split and called on another airlines engineer (one person) to look over the aircraft. This caused us to miss our connection to Singapore that night. Cabin Staff, who by now are just as frustrated and angry are becoming very rude when asked what is going on, they, and the Captain informed all passengers with onward bookings to go to the BA help desk but the desk was ‘unmanned’ it was by fluke that I asked a passing airport staff member if there were any British Airways desks open, she said to try sales desk in departures. As luck would have it, there were two BA staff there who duly put us up at the airport hotel ‘without’ our luggage as it was in transit, with three, yes three food vouchers. One of the vouchers, (15 pounds each), was for Marks & Spencer, I thought good, at least we can get some clean underwear. Not so, they were for food only!
So, here we are with a breakfast voucher, a lunch voucher and a food voucher for Marks & Spenser....great....no.....baaaaad....
I would have thought that of all the 7 hours on the ground in Split, somebody, somewhere would have known what passengers had onward journeys and have it all organised when we landed in London and have a staff member at the gate to give us information and maybe an apology, instead of looking for a manned desk and waiting there for an hour to get to a hotel. By the time we got to the hotel at 1am and checking out at 11am, it doesn’t leave much time to rest, does it?

London to Singapore: As you can imagine, when we got on this evening flight we were exhausted and looking forward to a good sleep. The A380 was the same front /back seat configuration, again no storage points and awkwardly looking at a stranger looking at you.
The evening meal was served, a very miss-matched meat balls or fish. My wife had the meatballs and I had the fish. If it wasn’t for our state of tiredness and hunger we would have left both on the plate.
The next surprise was 2 hours out of Singapore at 3pm local time, what did they serve? BREAKFAST” Presumably, not to bring out the drink cart to save more money!!
Somehow, I don’t think we’ll be flying British Airways again. I would not recommend them.

3  Thank CHRIS N
Write a ReviewReviews (24,927)

Reviewed 24 November 2017

The flight was full and there were no spare seats, but had something had gone wrong with the seating meaning that one of 6 year old and 10 year old were going to have sit on there own. Ok unless there is some turbulence or some other problem and then our children would be very upset and it would be unpleasant for all.

This was bad enough but there was no attitude to help or sort anything out. The first member fo cabin staff that I spoke to replied "We [ie the cabin crew] had not made a mistake on the seating".

Poor service. No concern or attempt to help.

1  Thank Tobyg2
Reviewed 23 November 2017

We have flown BA several times in the last few years, mostly on their City Break deals, and this was our second time with them to Lisbon. It was our first time with BA since they stopped their complimentary cabin service, or - more accurately - since they abandoned any semblance of customer service.

The farce started at the departure gate, where despite having checked in early we were required to check in our cabin-sized bags to the hold. Not much point having the proper bags when dozens of people then board behind you to store their huge bags in the overhead lockers. Significantly, all the people who were singled out in this way were UK passport holders. We had travelled light as we needed to get to our hotel, being on the evening flight we didn't want to be hanging around waiting for bags.

As soon as we were airborne the staff were peddling the food and drink for all they were worth. A group of Americans around us were clearly well on the way when boarding, yet the dozy stewards were happy to keep selling them alcohol no matter how loud and rowdy they became. I had asked for a comment form which arrived just as we were about to land from an apologetic and embarrassed head stewardess. I did mention the drunks but it seems it is now BA policy to sell as much as they can.

The return flight was also a fiasco as far as baggage is concerned, since some passengers were bringing on three or four bags. The cabin crew seem to have given up and there were still bags in the aisle as we taxied.

We flew Ryanair a few weeks before this trip, and although they are bargain basement, they are at least well organised. It is very depressing that the national airline has been dumbed down to Ryanair standard, albeit without their low prices.

1  Thank Hacendado

Sep 25th, 2017:

I was in bed at 2130 hrs, woke up at 0500 hrs, arrived at the airport at 0555 hrs, hassle at the bag check area, boarding was quick, forget about breakfast not worth it, had a good snooze and arrived in London with time to spare for my next flight

Sep 22nd, 2017:

Oh Pirates yes they rob I!

This is unavoidable otherwise i will give up this flight on Fridays because the fare compared to the meal served is just damn-right a rip-off

1  Thank Stone S