“Best airline so far”
Review of Copa Airlines

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I’ve been flying with this airline all year long and the overall experience has been very positive. I’ve only experienced one flight delay which had me stuck in Ecuador for 8 hours but all other flights have gone very very well.

Compared to US-based airlines and avianca, Copa is the best among them. I will continue flying with these guys.

On this arline was my first time where the captain of the aircraft was a woman.. that was awesome! And probably one of the most pleasant flights I’ve have.

• In-flight entertainment (WiFi, TV, films)
Write a ReviewReviews (5,456)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Flying from Honolulu to Lax (5 hours) on September 17, 2017, 3 hour layover and another 6 hours from LA to Panama with Copa airlines arriving at 6 AM in the morning on September 18, 2017 and then supposed to fly at around 9 AM to Curacao.

At the time we arrived at Tocumen airport in Panama at 6 AM a power outage started. We waited at the gate from 8 AM till 1 PM, September 18, 2017 at that time the power was back. We found out our flight to Curacao was cancelled and I went to the Copa Lounge (lounge member) and waited in a long line till 3 PM before an agent helped me. Help is not the correct word because she only told me that the first available flight to Curacao was on Thursday September 21, 2017 and this one was not available (for us).

Se denied my request to put me on the next day (September 19, 2017) flight to Aruba, the neighbor island of Curacao. Also se denied my request to put me on a Avianca flight to Curacao for the next day. The conversation with the agent ended with her request what I was doing as economy passenger in the business lounge of Copa. I requested to talk to the supervisor and he also told me he could not do anything for me.

We went out of the airport because we were told that the Tocumen would provide accommodation. After standing in line for two hours for the bus to the hotel without any movement and trying to get the suitcases back my wife collapsed (we were already travelling from Honolulu to Panama for 36 hours) and then I decided to find a hotel myself. Hired a taxi drove around the airport but all the hotels were booked.

Finally ended in a hotel in Panama city itself (taxi 50 US dollar (no receipt given) and hotel 70 US dollars (receipt). Bought some food and drinks and toiletries (aroud 50 us dollar no receipt given).

Contacted Copa a couple of times at night (September 18, 2017) to persuade them to put me on a flight back to Curacao but only after the third call they wanted to put me on the Saturday flight of September 23, 2017. Of course that was unacceptable so I booked the then cheapest flight from Panama to Curacao, 474 us each with American Airlines, with a night stop over in Miami. Other flights were much more expensive, like 600 US (with Avianca) or same day flight with AA for 800 us.

Had to book a hotel in Miami (150 us), had to take a taxi (Uber) to the airport of Panama and from and to Miami airport, together at about 70 US. And of course had to buy some food again (60 us).

Total damages around 1420 US dollars besides the two lost vacation days (September 19 en 20, 2017.)

Copa states it is not liable and only wants to pay the first night accommodation and the first night costs of food and taxi.

Tocumen airport hides behind Copa and does not take any responsibility. This morning the representative of the legal department of Tocumen stated verbally that it was me who run out of the airport myself and he did not understand why I had to go to Miami. Hopefully with this article this misunderstanding is resolved.

• Food and Beverage
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Nothing wrong with our flight from Chicago to Panama and then to Costa Rica. Flight attendants were pleasant, food was great, no entertainment options but with Netflix and Amazon Prime that’s not a huge issue. The problem came when my bag didn’t make it from Panama to Costa Rica. The agent at the service desk literally couldn’t have cared less. She wouldn’t give us answers. She said my bag could take up to 5 days to arrive. She wouldn’t tell me reimbursement policy or how to get reimbursement and her and her coworker kept giving each other looks and smirking. i asked to speak with her supervisor and she told me I would have to go upstairs and find her. Who says that? I told her to call her supervisor and ask them to come down and the supervisor REFUSED!! What kind of company trains their employees this way. So now I am In Costa Rica with nothing and no way to know if I will get reimbursed for anything I have to buy. I will never, ever recommend this airline to anyone.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I was refused check-in with a legitimate visa and outbound ticket. The woman at check-in said the outbound ticket needed to be printed. I have never been required to print an outbound ticket and I already provided my outbound ticket to the consular officer as well as all other documentation when I got my visa, as was required.

The woman at the front in Copa Airlines said it needed to be printed and basically said "tough s&#*" when I told her there was nowhere to print. I asked if I could use hers and she said that it was not possible.

My girlfriend (Brazilian citizen) and I were left standing there with about 6 suitecases (everything we owned) in a foreign airport with legitimate documents and were basically stranded. I made a comment about perpetually bad customer service in Mexico and after saying this, the Copa check-in woman threw my passport and ticket info in my girlfriend's face.

We missed the flight and had to go to Aeromexico and purchase expensive tickets to Brazil. They never asked for the outbound flight info, only the visa. We got the new flight with no issues.

Also, when we arrived in Brazil, I was never asked for outbound ticket info, only the visa.

I spent about $2000 in tickets and was unjustly refused boarding. How these people have this power is beyond me.

Again, I had ALL documents, just the outbound flight wasn't PRINTED was the woman's justification. I have been all over the world and have rarely been asked about outbound flight (never asked if there is a VISA as it was already required to obtain the VISA). When I have been asked the email confirmation on my phone was always allowed.

There are MUCH better airlines than COPA. These people can cause you to miss your trip on a whim. DO NOT USE!!!. AeroMexico is much much better.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

For what you pay, Copa is a total rip-off. The flight was on time and I had no problems with getting my baggage, but the experience of flying with them is akin to flying with a budget airline. The cabin interior is worn and tired and there was garbage in the seat pocket. The staff were bored and not interested and the food was abominable: it was an insipid sandwich made from very low-quality ingredients. It is obvious that Copa is cutting corners wherever they can and they don't care because they know their customers have no choice.

Copa is a corrupt organization. Their flights are extremely expensive for the region and they can get away with it because they have a monopoly on a number of routes. Examples are Panama-Managua and Panama-Lima. It is ridiculous that Copa is the only airline that flies between Panama and Lima, Peru but they can do this because the airport claims there is not enough space for other airlines to compete. Copa has stalled the expansion of the airport so that other airlines cannot compete on these routes, but hopefully this will no longer be the case from 2018. I cannot wait to be able to fly with other airlines and ditch this overpriced, sub-standard airline.

• Food and Beverage
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)