“To be fair I was warned in the bad reviews”
Review of SATA - Azores Airlines

Reviewed 15 October 2017 via mobile

I flew Azores aka Sata airlines with my sister (both adults) the end of September and again beginning of October from Boston to Portugal. Our departing flight plan was changed a few weeks a head of time. No problem until we find out that they don't have seats assigned to us. We had bought these tickets in the spring and picked an aisle and window seat. Now we were assigned 2 middle seats. Luckily the 2 aisle people never showed up so it worked out, but could have been very uncomfortable. There is very little leg room. The person in front of me reclined and I had to sit diagonal. There is no tv screens on the back of the chair or overhead like out was in the 90s so bring your own entertainment. The food was actually pretty good on that flight. A pasta with pesto and marinara sauce, chick pea salad, roll, and red velvet cake. Choice of soda, wine, tea, coffee, the usual. Unfortunately our direct flight was actually not. We stopped in the Azores. What was supposed to be a short layover turned into a 4 hour layover. They gave everyone a breakfast voucher to make up for it. We were sad because we were then losing a day to explore Lisbon but others were missing their connecting flights. The airport we stopped at was super small so not much too do for the 4 hour wait. Apparently this happens frequently with this airline. The next flight was the same seats. Again no entertainment or other things to make it more enjoyable (no blanket or pillow, no radio etc). That flight they gave us a sandwich comprised of a slice of sandwich ham, melted cheese on a hot dog bun. It was foul. They also gave a cracker/ cookie pack that was ok. Overall the airline was low cost but that didn't make up for the lack of amenities and definitely not for the day we missed explored Lisbon. Our return flight from Porto to Boston was the same but without the delayed flight. Food on that flight was a pasta with chicken almost Mexican style, a corn andblack bean salad which was gross, roll, and chocolate mousse which was really sweet. Would not fly with them again.

Reviewed 15 October 2017

There was no entertainment on board since every single television screen was not working in the airplane. I sat beside an employee of the airline that worked in management and when the snacks were being distributed (cold beef sandwich) the employee had a glimpse of the sandwich and gave it back. I was now suspicious of the sandwich because if a management worker turns back the food, there had to be something bad about it. The sandwich tasted horrible and it might have been the cause of my food poisoning over the next 5 days.

Reviewed 14 October 2017

Well I was disappointed, first hard to find the check in desk, it is not with the rest. Like foster kid of Portugal. Legroom, seating cramped, no entertainment for 8 hour flight. I not sure if use them again

Reviewed 12 October 2017

We recently went on a tour of the Azores and we flew with Sata airlines on a schedule flight from gatwick on a Saturday which is the only day of the week they fly direct to Ponta Delgada from gatwick.we had never flown with this airline before and reading some reviews on trip advisor suggested best to avoid.we must say they could not be more wrong as our experience was excellent.the flight was on time the A320 Aircraft was comfortable with good leg room.we were served a meal on the plane together with drinks alcoholic/non alcoholic plus tea or coffee.the airline staff were very polite and welcoming.we also had 3 inter island flights using smaller aircraft but again the flights and staff were very good.Due to the short flights no refreshments were supplied which was understandable.all in all a good experience with this airline and would use them again.

1  Thank Kennypo20
Reviewed 11 October 2017 via mobile

I am giving this airline two stars since, after all, I did make it from point A to point B and felt safe throughout.
Still, the service was absolutely horrible. While I was lucky to have no cancellations or crazy delays, I can see how it easily could have gone the other way...

First of all, all flights were delayed at least an hour and there was almost no communication about this. At times, I was worried if I would miss my flight between Ponta Delgada and Lisbon or the leg back to Toronto. They assured me that "oh, if the flight is cancelled, we will put you on the next one tomorrow... or the day after... and sure, hotel is paid for". What?!?!? What about my vacation? And how do I return to Canada? I have work the next day! I am glad it didn't happen, but it ALMOST did...

Food is horrific. I couldn't even recognize the piece of meat as chicken. Leg room is also awful. And when someone reclines, it makes your table tilt, which means that your food tray keeps sliding down. So you have to hold up the table with your knees....
I also had a butter that was completely melted explode on myself (which is fine, I guess it had accidentally been heated). But when I asked an attendant for another one and perhaps some napkins, I was given such a nasty attitude. He did hand me another butter after all, but I sure didn't feel very welcome. I also saw another attendant yell at an elderly couple, as she was annoyed about their confusion with the drink selection.

Once in Toronto, I flew another Canadian service and, wow, what a difference in service (so much better). It made me realize how awful SATA is. I really don't recommend if you are going to Lisbon....