“Expect the flight to take longer than quoted”
Review of SATA - Azores Airlines

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We've flown with SATA twice between PDL and YYZ and both times the flight took longer than it should due to "high winds on the Atlantic". You'd think that if high winds is part of your regular environment, the airline would adjust it's planes to somehow compensate for this, but alas no. Our 2015 flight took 9 hours and our 2018 flight took 7 hours (Expedia told us it should take 6.5 hours). Only take this airline if you have no alternative, which up until now is unfortunately the case as I'm not aware of any other airlines flying direct from PDL to YYZ.

1  Thank Z7671IXmichelled

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We flew return from Toronto to Ponta Delgada without issue. After reading all the horrible reviews we were a little sceptic about booking with SATA. Our original trip had to be cancelled due to a death in the family and their customer service was fantastic much better than TAP.
The first leg of our flight was delayed by 40 minutes which we were kept informed, our return flight was on time. Flight crew very friendly, helpful, planes a little dated but were clean, food was as good as expected. We would fly with again.

1  Thank roch40
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

The plane was originally delayed 1 hour. We went through security and we're hearded into a glass box known as gate 5. The plane was then delayed again. We we're at the gate for over 2 hours. There is not seats for everyone, no bathrooms and only 2 vending machines. When we did finally take off we were told that because of a crew shortage we would not get dinner on our 7 hour flight. We got 1 drink service and our only choice was water or juice. There was nothing else. The flight attendants hid in the back and refused to answer the attendant call button s. They didn't even pass through the cabin before landing because they didn't want to face the angry passengers.

1  Thank Jesse-Leah A
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

On arrival in Ponta Delgada on March 3, 2018, our transfer flight to Madeira was delayed then ultimately cancelled due to the closure of Madeira airport for reasons of weather. SATA put us on buses into the city and accommodated us at a four-star hotel on the waterfront for the night. We were given vouchers for the dining room.This was all very comfortable and all exceptionalities, such as mobility problems, pet carriage, etc, were handled efficiently. I had fully expected to be asked to use my Visa and then bill my travel insurer and this was a pleasant surprise. I have nothing but praise for this airline. I travel on it annually and have found the flights to be smooth and comfortable. The seats are not too cramped and the attendants are gracious. Thank you, SATA.

2  Thank Judith B
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I'd love to review the service ON the actual airline, but unfortunately, we never even got on the plane. We had a package deal with airfare, 1 week hotel in Terceira including breakfast. We were to leave BOS at 10 pm on 3/28. While we were waiting for our connection to Boston, we received word that our departure was delayed until 11am on 3/29, and that overnight accommodations would be provided once we arrived at the BOS airport. There were more than 100 people in line at the SATA ticket counter, but we did get a room at an Embassy suites, along with a dinner and breakfast voucher. HOWEVER, we were told that the flight would not be leaving at 11am, and there was no additional information. We received an email at 5am from the travel agent telling us to stay put in the hotel and not go to the airport, since the flight had not yet been scheduled. At 11 am, we got a call from SATA Azores Airlines informing us that our flight would not be leaving Boston that day, but we could be booked to the Azores that afternoon via Toronto, then Lisbon, then Terceira, a trek lasting about 24 hours. Or we could just cancel the trip for a refund from out travel agent. We opted to cancel; our travel agent, Azores Getaways, promptly processed the refund, and we rebooked our return flight home to Columbia, SC.
My husband and I travel extensively, including internationally, but I have to say I've never quite had an experience like this. I felt like I was in the Twilight Zone -- no information, no explanation other than "operational difficulties," no airline representatives at the ticket counter (the service attendants were contract employees of the airport who had no information, though they were very nice and efficient).
So I doubt I will ever get to the Azores, since this airline is the only one that travels there, and there's no way I would ever attempt this again. So disappointed. I lost about 75,000 FF miles getting to Boston, but otherwise just lost 2 days traveling back and forth to Columbia, SC. I love to travel, but not this way :-)

2  Thank Lielo816