“Polaris Psuedo Business Class”
Review of United Airlines

Reviewed 20 October 2017

We traveled in United’s Polaris Business Class from San Francisco to Sydney on UA863, 27 August 2017.

Pre Flight – The Lounge
All over the US, there are ads promising customers a Polaris experience that starts with a great food and lounge experience before they even get on the plane. We found that nothing could be further from the truth! The United premium lounge in SFO is cramped, old and gloomy. The food amounted to some dried up carrot sticks or cheese and biscuits. The real kicker was a beer cost $5! You are paying premium prices to fly Business and they charge you five bucks for a beer. The worst lounge experience I’ve ever had.

On-Board
At six across, the seats are dense but very comfortable with plenty of leg room and the lie-flat bed extends to 6 foot 4 inches. Oddly the aisle seat is fully exposed with no privacy screening. The Saks Fifth Avenue blanket is very nice but too short to keep both my feet and my upper body covered at the same time.

We found it very strange that there was only a sheer curtain between Business and Economy. Also, when disembarking the crew do not stop Economy passengers from moving forward until all the Business passengers have left the aircraft. These things are basics on other airlines.

Excellent. The food was tasty, well presented and plentiful.

Unfortunately the service lived down to our expectations of typical US airlines. The crew were shabbily dressed and, to a person, they gave the impression they could turn on us at any moment if we stepped out of line.

Two other things really annoyed me:
1. While we were trying to sleep, flight attendants congregated outside the galley having shouted conversations about their colleagues and their employer’s shortcomings. This went on for hours and made sleep very difficult.
2. There are curtains around the galley to keep the light and noise down but the attendants didn’t close them which meant that we had to put up with all the banging and crashing that went on in the pre-dawn while the crew prepared breakfast.

Overall
United’s Polaris Business amounts to a half-heated attempt at pseudo Business Class. My message to the United is that it would be very easy to lift their Business product. Buy a ticket on an airline (like Singapore) that has been doing Business for years and copy what they do (like blocking the aisle for Business passengers disembarking). You don’t have to do it all; but you can easily do a lot better.

• Seat comfort
    • Customer service (e.g. attitude, care, helpfulness)
    • Food and Beverage
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
Write a ReviewReviews (28,783)

Reviewed 20 October 2017 via mobile

Great flight #1655 10/19. The entire flight crew was very cordial, friendly and had a sense of humor. The flight attendants gave detailed information and process for getting through customs in Chicago. Thanks for making a long flight enjoyable.

Reviewed 20 October 2017 via mobile

I just want to take this opportunity to emphasize the inefficiency, poor service, and total disregard for human beings that this airline exhibits.

I am a very frequent flyer of this airline and continue to use it only because my Continental miles were transferred over to this airline. They also have a monopoly on most domestic flights. So, in other words, they have more flights going to places that you would want to go. I can honestly say that only one time was I serviced by a gentleman working for this airline that was extremely good. Other times, (about twice per month for the last few years) service was horrific. They should take that man and have him train the entire staff.

As a business traveler, I need to obtain receipts for my expenses. Although they have a place to do that on their website, it frequently does not work properly. Then when you call the airlines to tell them about this they insist they will send you a receipt and they do not. So far I have asked three times and nothing yet.

Once we were waiting for a plane that was delayed because it had to go back to the point of origin to refuel. Upon its arrival at the gate the agent told everyone on the line to (and I quote) “get on the plane, sit down and don’t talk!” It was as if we were in grammar school again.

Due to their position in this business, which is that of having a monopoly on all of the flights, I am sure nothing will ever change. I found it very interesting how quickly they paid the gentleman they dragged down the aisle to keep him quiet and keep their name out of the headlines.

I guess I just wrote this because it makes me feel better to get it off my mind.

If you have a choice, choose another airline. Personally, I love JetBlue.

1  Thank Patti C
Reviewed 20 October 2017 via mobile

Horrible!!! Made us check our bags for no reason there was plenty of room for our bags. Thanks for making our long travel day even longer never again. Absolutely ridiculous.

Reviewed 20 October 2017

Legroom is awful, seats uncomfortable, recline only 1/4 inch, you cannot rest or sleep, need to offer other snacks.

• Food and Beverage
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)