“Terrible”
Review of United Airlines

Reviewed 16 December 2017 via mobile

We used United as a connection from Houston to Miami. Only used as they are a partner airline of air new Zealand. Legroom is non existent and the staff are not very responsive to requests. I would not use this airline if I had another choice.

1  Thank Mark Y
Write a ReviewReviews (32,616)

Reviewed 16 December 2017

It has been quite a while since I have taken United as my preferred airline is SQ. However, as I was in Sydney I didn't have that option. I figured as a Star Alliance member they must stick to certain standards, I was wrong.

Anything remotely considered a feature or service has become a paid extra. Not sure if we got unlucky with an older jet but the plane was quite run down. Service with a smile seems to be a concept of the past. I took one look at the food and decided it was better to starve. I had really went in hoping to be surprised by how much United had improved since I last flew with them. United just ensured I will probably go out of my way to not fly with them.

Reviewed 16 December 2017

I was a Continental frequent flyer for years before the United-Continental merger, and all was good.I continued to achieve Platinum Elite status in all these recent years despite the problems United has continued to have. I lived through disastrous operations during the merger, including having a phone agent cancel my flight on me while I was on the way to the airport to get on that flight. In all these bad years, for the most part, you could get a sense that the customer service agents had directions to try to find some way to resolve significant complaints. A few frequent flier miles here, a small value travel voucher there. They have clearly abandoned dong that. In the major operations mistakes they made with me over the past year and a half, their approach, as on my most recent bad experience, is to offer no solution. They now just have a cookie cutter, fill in the blanks 'we're sorry and we appreciate your business' reply. What I have now resolved is that I am done with United. They no longer work to earn my business, so I will now endeavor to fly with anyone except United.

1  Thank Tony9876
Reviewed 16 December 2017

I paid $1,500.00,for a first class ticket and  I'm not exaggerating here, received basic coach service. The only difference between UAL First Class and Coach is it costs about a thousand dollars more and offers seats designed for shorter wider passengers. Seriously there is not a lot of legroom folks. Like a good Coach passenger I had to climb over the passenger next to me to go to the bathroom.
There are alcoholic drinks included and also the inexcusable "meal"
There is no amount of alcohol that can remedy that "meal". Anyway, how many must you drink to get your money's worth?
For meal service you can get a choice of two horrible inedible Coach level meals. I did mention we paid full fare for First Class right? I mean it was a tiny plate of over cooked flat mushroom ravioli glued to the plate. There was no vegetable but they gave us stale (bordering on rancid),walnuts a few water crackers, some Laughing Cow processed cheese food product and two dried apricots. I kid you not Oreos for desert.
Now on behalf of the flight staff they really did the best that could be done given what little they had to work with. They even baked some lovely cookies for everyone that was exceptional. I'm really not hard to please.

How can UAL justify such expensive fares for an extremely pedestrian experience for First Class!
The in flight entertainment is a really bad joke. Passengers are required to provide their own equipment (tablet or phone) to watch movies from the plane's hard drive. So if you don't have a smart phone or tablet you are sadly out of luck.
What's the point of having to download an app when you have to bring your own entertainment anyway? What does anyone need with some random UAL app that allows you to watch someone else's choices in movies?  No music either nothing to offer unless one is psychic and knows in advance that an app must be downloaded on the ground in order to take advantage of the fabulous entertainment choices aboard UAL?
So to avoid the whole experience I decided to take a sleeping pill and take a most expensive nap. There are no headrests in UAL First Class and no pillows either. So I like any resourceful coach passenger, waded up my jacket into a pillow and gratefully slept through every penny of that flight.
I feel ripped off and I feel incredibly stupid for giving United Airlines a chance to redeem themselves from a bad reputation and for falling for their label, "First Class."

1  Thank Morainiac
Reviewed 16 December 2017

The food is really bad specially going from Newark to Delhi by rajbhog foods It is supposed to be Indian food, but it is really bad tasting. There was a small piece of glass or plastic in the dessert, I mentioned it to the staff and she just didn't care. The seats are so cramped , it is crazy, you cant even get out properly. wine was of poor quality

1  Thank Kiran C