“Waste of 200 dollars”
Review of United Airlines

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This is a very long and difficult flight. By now for several years I swear to myself: "Never again. Why should I inflict this hardship on myself? Break the flight" And again and again I'm entrapped into picking up the fastest way from start to end. It is always tiring. Sometimes it is more than that, it is hurting and disappointing. This last flight was very disappointing. We purchased economy tickets but added 200 dollars per seat to get economy plus seats with more legroom. We do not need this legroom for our legs. We need it so that the guy behind us won't complain that they do not have enough room unless they touch our backseat. So what should I do if behind me part of the time is sitting a hyperactive boy who cannot stop knocking the screen on my backseat while playing games and when he is changing seats with his daddy the latter opens his tray and gets his 2 years old daughter to sit on the tray. When she moves, not only my backseat but rather my entire seat shakes. How many times can you request others to be considerate? This was a night flight but I could not sleep even for a moment. By the way, the boy and his daddy slept very well when they were not sitting behind me. What could the airline do in such cases? I do not know. What I do know is that it does not help me if the food and entertainments are good or if the staff is cordial and considerate. The ground staff was very helpful but after two hours into the flight, I already have forgotten that.

• Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
Write a ReviewReviews (24,880)

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I am a Premier silver member with this airline and as my family live in US and United offers direct flights to San Fran I usually use this airline. The experience has never been great but the recent flight was a new low. As a silver member, you are entitled to a few advantages such as an express pass through Sydney airport or priority baggage handling. But you have to remember to ask for it and be prepared not to be provided with one!! The food is terrible, for instance this time after 2.5 hours delay and an inedible dinner, I asked for pancakes for breakfast and I found one random sausage covered in jam in my pancakes. I wonder who plans these meals?!!!!

1  Thank IcyApple
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I should have known better, given all the news articles, but like an idiot I didn't listen. I booked a "bucket list" trip to China with a RT on United thru Expedia (who ripped us off to the tune of $800- we'll never use them again, either). What a nightmare. My husband became ill in China, and was in a wheelchair on all three flights back to the USA, and United's ground and air crews made the three hellacious flights (inc. a 15 hour layover in Chicago- they could have rerouted us, seeing my husband was ill and in a wheelchair, but they refused to) as miserable for us as they possibly could. Two of their stewardesses actually laughed at my husband- they thought it was funny to misdirect him as he slowly exited the plane (the promised wheelchair having never materialized) so the two of us got separated. One stewardess fancied herself some sort of medical expert, and lectured me, repeatedly, on how the poor air quality in China made my husband ill. When I cut off that conversation, she made fun of us to the man sitting next to us and other passengers, and when that didn't get a reaction from me she tried another tactic: threatening me that she was "calling the medics" when we landed. When that didn't work (I turned my back on her), she then asked me to tell her my first name (I refused) so she could "show me respect". I was afraid to even speak to her, as air crews now have the status of gods and goddesses: they can have you thrown off a flight or arrested for "disobeying" them, and so they have successfully terrorized everyone into silence. The seats were so tight that my feet went numb (I am 4'9" tall and not exactly a giant), and when a drink was spilled, my husband couldn't even raise himself, and so spent the flight sitting in a pool of Coca Cola. The United airport staff in Shanghai assured us our suitcases were checked through and would not be weighed again, and this was a LIE. We had to pick them up in Los Angeles AND again in Chicago, where an Extremely nasty United staff woman insisted on re-weighing them and made our lives a living hell. The ONLY people who helped us were several airport employees (two porters and a wheelchair service person), who were kind and helpful. We will NEVER fly United again if we can help it. They well and truly deserve to go bankrupt.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

It was hard to go back to economy flying after a great experience with first class a couple months ago, so naturally a full flight seemed pretty cramped, The price was no great deal. The flight ran on time, though, and the attendants were friendly and helpful.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Have had to deal with United a number of times. Horrible customer service. Step-daughter used to fly to Denver to see her daughter. They let her father change the flight even though her mother paid for the ticket. Nightmare. Once had to change a flight due to military function. Presented military orders. They still charged me to change flight. Tried to work it out with customer service. Was told I'd be refunded but never heard from them again. Delta let my wife change a flight with no questions asked. Not sure how they stay in business. Unaccompanied minor fee is a joke. We fly with other carriers every chance we get.

1  Thank iv_by_doc_k