“My Cat in-cabin almost died of anxiety”
Review of United Airlines

Reviewed 21 June 2022

Terrible flight, bad old airplane, insensible and unhelpful crew. Never use United again.
Thankfully, my cat didn't die. but I was convinced that he was going to and we were in-cabin. I cannot begin to imagine how they are treated in cargo. I had booked a direct flight to make sure my cat was the least traumatized by it. He had flown before with Spirit on a 2 hours trip and even though he was a bit scared, he was ok. Now, I was hoping to have good experience with United Airlines in a 5 hours direct flight. Considering that United Airlines was more expensive, then should have better accommodation. I talked to multiple representatives that assured me the plane was equipped for pets in-cabin. When I got to the plane, the airline gave me the middle seat and the carrier wouldn’t fit underneath the seat…. I couldn’t even make the carrier get in between the seats, left alone place it underneath it. I talked to the crew and they gave no solution to the issue and told me, it should fit. (No, it didn't fit, my carrier was specifically picked with the appropriate dimensions that they have on their website). So I had to chug him into there and he was immobilized caused the space was so small. He got extremely desperate and claustrophobic plus anxious…. He started bitting the carrier to get out, and ripped the carrier on both sides, and got out of the carrier when we were in the plane. Plus cried the whole 5 hours.
He was so desperate, I had never seen him this way. The space was so small that he got claustrophobic, and the plane was so old, that you could feel every move, and plus it was loud AF. I placed a blanket to cover the carrier and I was pushing him inside the carrier with my hand the whole trip. And in all of this, the crew was helpless. I called them a hundred times so they would help me in any way because I was desperate and they wouldn’t do anything, even after seeing my fingers bleeding (no first aid kit, no bandage). They downright ignored me, didn’t even give me food like the rest of the passengers because I was dealing with my pet.
Finally, my cat comes out of the carrier after 3 hours fighting the whole thing, in which I let the crew know once again and told them it's not my fault since I had been telling them about the situation and they had ignored me the whole flight.
So the supervisor finally pays attention to me and tells me if I could have him in my backpack…. so I was like, so you want me to suffocate him?
Thankfully, I brought his actual appropriate cat-backpack which was perfect, my backpack was somewhere else in a closet because there was no space for my personal item, even though I had paid extra for my bags. The bring the bag and I placed Bubbles (my cat) in his backpack and he calms down like for 15 minutes before going back into full desperate mode once I place him underneath the seat.
So for the remaining 2 hours I keep him on my lap inside the backpack, he gets out again through the mesh bubble, and I kept him with me for like 20 minutes while there was turbulence going on.
I called those people to help again and they told me to try to restrain him, and only call them in case of an emergency (I thought that was an emergency, but seems like they didn't think that). So I tried to put the backpack altogether while holding Bubbles at the same time and get him inside again, then I point a full light to his face, so he would close his eyes. That worked for like the last 45 minutes of the flight, because he looked to the other side and closed his eyes. He never stopped crying though and the couple of times I had him on my arms, when I touched his chest, it felt like his heart was coming out of his chest. My vet later told me he could experience a heart attack, and I though he was having convulsions and he was having shortness of breath. Once I took him out of that awful tiny place underneath the seat they made me put it, he calmed down immediately. This has been the worst experience I've had with an airline, and will for sure never travel with United Arlines ever again.

• Check-in and boarding
Write a reviewReviews (52,537)

Reviewed 21 June 2022

I started flying United last year and was very impressed with them. Prior to flying United I flew Southwest. I just recently flew United and it was the worst ever. They have no more TVs. You have to pay for snacks. I had a flight leaving at 6am on June 17th and I got a text at 2am that my flight was canceled and they rescheduled me for 4pm my daughter was celebrating her 30th birthday party and I was going to be late. I went to the airport and got on the next plane by stand by. They made me wait until everyone boarded before I could get on the plane. You canceled my flight that I paid for but I had to wait…. I am done. Southwest I’m coming back

1  Thank lpittman27
Reviewed 21 June 2022

The aircraft is very good. Their Partner airline in India, Vistara services are excellent.
United had some air hostesses that were snappy and not happy to serve you.
Food was bad, with very limited choices, especially for dietary restrictions. No healthy snacks in between meals were made available. How can you not offer Indian masala Chai on a flight that is going to India with 80% of people in business class being of Indian origin? Fresh fruits and healthy snacks should be readily available and they need to cater to the demographics of the passengers. I also was disappointed that the flight times were changed several times which caused us additional expenses because we missed our connections.
Finally Entertainment choices were also very limited.

Date of travel: May 2022
Reviewed 20 June 2022

I have been flying with united airlines for years and I am also a premium member. This airlines is not anymore what use to be. I flew with United this year, 12 times and almost every single flight was delayed. I was in Europe and on my way back I decide to change my flight to get home early so I can attend my son's basketball and guess what, delayed again and I watch the end of the game only, thanks to united.

1  Thank Seaside297264
Reviewed 20 June 2022

My daughter and I were taking a return flight from Boston to New Orleans with a layover in D.C today. We bought and paid for a round trip pet fare for our dog and brought him with us. I’m the Boston airport, At 430 this morning with a flight leaving at 545 and is still needing to go through TSA there was still no one at the counter that was due to open at 4am. Once we did get to the agents desk the lady named Elizabeth was so rude to me that I literally cried. She tried to tell me I didn’t pay for my pet when I had a receipt in hand showing I did. When I tried to show her my receipt she refused to look at it or even acknowledge I was speaking to her, she then saw me upset and made me move out of line to go get a supervisor, the supervisor proceeded to tell me I didn’t pay for my dogs return trip, I did and had a receipt stating I did, she said” it’s not in our computer but I’ll go ahead and wave it” as if she was doing me some kind of favor instead of acknowledging I had already paid $250 for my dog to ride on the plane home. The people were absolutely not the people I would have as the face of my business in customer service. The people you have dealing with your customers should have a good attitude, a helpful attitude and at the very least acknowledge your customers when they are speaking to them. This was absolutely the worst customer service experience I’ve ever had anywhere. I believe in voting with my dollar and have been a loyal customer for years, today United lost my companies business. There is no way I would ever be treated like that again. I will go to an airline that cares about how their customer walks away feeling, I was shaking and I’m tears when I walked away and even multiple customers in the line were upset at the horrible way the team you have at that desk treated me.

3  Thank 518shayw
© 2022 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.