“Treatment of the non-priority customers”
Review of WestJet

Flight WS9, Paris to Calgary, Jun 3, 2022
Rarely in my 61 years have I felt so insignificant as when in line at the westjet counter in Charles de Gaulle in Paris. When we arrived three desks were manned, there was a short priority line and a growing (longer) non-priority line. The ladies behind the desks would help 5 priority customers for each less-important-customer. Withing 25 minutes 2 more desks opened up and now the 3 previously mentioned desks would focus entirely on the important (we pay more) people and the still growing cheap-people line got the 2 other desks. Whenever the priority line was empty they would off course help other people, but still it was different. The lady that helped us would step out from behind her desk, cross the 10 feet to the priority line and personally invite customers over to her desk. I just got a wink form her; she didn’t look at us, nor talk to us, quite a difference from how she treated the ‘important’ customers
As this is getting to be a lengthy review, I will skip the lack of training we witnessed on the ground and in the air. Rudeness is not a quality!
If the aim of the game is to make us jealous so that we would be tempted to pay more next time to get the I’m-so-important treatment, you succeeded. I will pay more next time, but I will spend the money on economy tickets on Lufthansa of KLM flights. I fly to Europe once of twice a year and I remember being treated with some respect on those airlines.

• Seat comfort
    • Customer service
    • Food and Beverage
    • Legroom
    • In-flight Entertainment
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and boarding
Write a reviewReviews (16,438)

Reviewed 4 June 2022

Delayed flights both ways. Luggage was lost/delayed and after tre days after, still not delivered even if they found it after a day. Did not reach to deliver it even if promised it would be delivered on the morning before I left. The only plus is service minded personnel on flight.
Note: stay away from the premium economy seats at 737-8, they are awfully hard.

Reviewed 4 June 2022

I had booked this flight through Delta and didn't realize it was a WestJet flight (had never heard of WestJet before, in fact). I was flying Montreal to San Francisco with a layover in Calgary, initially with one checked bag and one carry-on, but I ended up having to check the carry-on during my layover in Calgary.

When my flight arrived in San Francisco at around 8:30 p.m. (an hour later than scheduled, BTW), my original checked bag had gotten there, but the second one had not. Two other groups of travelers also had missing bags. There was no WestJet employee present in the baggage area, and the other airport employee who was there had no way to look up the bags to see if they were still in Calgary or had ended up somewhere else. He called the WestJet employee who was supposed to be there, and her response was, "Tell them to file a claim online." I was very reluctant to do that, as I had a strong feeling (which turned out to be true), that my online complaint would disappear into the ether and I would never track down my bag without talking to a human being from the airline. However, as there were no WestJet employees still in the building, I reluctantly filled out the form online and went home.

The next morning, I tried calling the airline, waited on hold for 45 minutes, and then the call dropped without having managed to reach a human. The online portal where I had filed my claim simply said, "We are awaiting receipt of your bag at the airport" without giving any further details.

In the end, I simply looked up the details of the next WestJet flight coming from Calgary and went back to the airport at its scheduled arrival time. As luck would have it, my missing bag showed up on the baggage carousel with the others. There was still no WestJet employee (or actually any airport employee) present in the area, so in the end I simply took my bag and left.

Several hours later, the online portal where I filed the delayed-baggage report still says, "We are awaiting receipt of your bag at the airport," despite the fact that the bag clearly did arrive at the airport. I did not receive any notification that the bag had left Calgary or that it had arrived in San Francisco. If I had not gone to the airport, God knows how long I would have sat around and waited before someone contacted me from the airline -- if they ever did. All's well that ends well, but I will definitely not be flying WestJet again.

• Seat comfort
    • Customer service
    • Food and Beverage
    • Legroom
    • In-flight Entertainment
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and boarding
Reviewed 3 June 2022

The service I received was truly embarrassing. We were delayed for over 1 hour at our departure place waiting for a crew member to come aboard. The crew member got to our plane after she was bragging about how she had to stop for lunch first and made us late for our connections.

When we finally arrived at our destination we raced to make our connection flight where we were very rudely informed that WestJet had taken us off our connecting flights (we were at the gate with more than enough time to make it on the connecting flight). We asked why they couldn’t add us back onto our flights as we had made it before the gate closed but the workers response was “that is not my problem, you are not my problem”

Overall a horrible experience. I would strongly advise others to not book flights with WestJet, I wish I could say this was my first horrible experience with WestJet but I would be very wrong to say so.

Not to mention how difficult they have made it to contact them by any form (phone call, email, social media, etc). Truly embarrassing!

Date of travel: April 2022
Reviewed 2 June 2022

WestJet used to be better. Now it is full of lousy planning, flight delayed multiple times, saw a change in aircraft, downsized and automatically changed seats so no longer seated next to my wife, waited over half an hour for "additional maintenance", waited more on landing because they couldn't latch the bridge. Will not ride again and highly do not recommend.

Date of travel: June 2022
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.