“Westjet - Messed up again - but why wouldn't they?”
Review of WestJet

Reviewed 9 April 2024

We were travelling from a small city in Alberta to Honolulu which required 3 flights - one from our hometown to Calgary, Calgary to Vancouver and then Vancouver to Honolulu. As we arrived at the 1st airport, we were advised the flight was delayed. While we were discussing alternatives with the agent in the airport, she confirmed the flight had actually just been cancelled, throwing our entire itinerary into chaos.

The agent recommended we drive to Calgary - 300 km away - and then she could get us on a later flight to Vancouver, and we would still be able to make our original flight to Honolulu. The only other alternative was to lose at least one day waiting for another flight.

Obviously we didn't want to lose any of our vacation time and since she recommended the solution, we drove to Calgary, 3 hours away. To do this, we had to pay for parking at Calgary airport for 2 weeks, plus the gas to drive to and from Calgary. The agent informed us that because the flight was cancelled due to "staffing issues", we would be compensated for the parking and gas.

When we submitted the claim on our return it was, of course, "respectfully declined". Westjet believes that because we "chose" to drive to an alternate airport, they are not responsible. We are fighting this but doubt it will have any effect.

This is not our first issue with Westjet. A year ago, they essentially abandoned a plane load of people in Toronto in the middle of the night (returning from St. Lucia and the flight was delayed so we got to TO very late and missed connecting flights). Our 12 our trip home took 49 hours - no hotel, no food vouchers, no compensation of any kind, not to mention the monumental run around trying to get new connecting flights booked.

Our next trip will not be with Westjet. In fact, we're not sure we'll ever use them again. Their lack of concern or consideration for their guests has become ridiculous. Westjet used to be the best airline but has dropped to the bottom of the barrell over the past few years. They simply do not care how badly they mess up your travel or how many other costs travellers have to incur because they are inept.

My only recommendation is: Fly with any other carrier before choosing Westjet.

Date of travel: February 2024
    • Seat comfort
    • Customer service
    • Food and Beverage
    • Legroom
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and boarding

Reviewed 8 April 2024

Our flight was cancelled/delayed for 24 hours. Westjet made no attempt to find us accomodation. The staff at the airport was helpless. Eventually we were given printed instructions to find our own accommodation and to submit expenses up to US$500 for hotel and transportation ( but not meals?). When we submitted our expenses from hotel, taxis and restaurants, we were not reimbursed as our handwritten receipts and credit card slips did not meet their criteria. So we were out several hundred dollars for expenses, not to mention compensation for missing work etc.
We were not provided with a satisfactory explanation for cancellation of the flight , yet had no possibility to apply for compensation as per the passenger rights regulations recently introduced.
Should you experience a delay/cancellatiomn of a Westjet flight, you should either insist on a prepaid voucher for accommodation or cash upfront as you will not be reimbursed retroactively. Furthermore the client services department was impolite and very difficult to reach.
I would hesitate to fly Westjet again based on their lack of regard for their clientele.

Date of travel: January 2024
Reviewed 8 April 2024

I flew with Wesjet on Dec 21st from YYZ to PUJ and returned on Dec 28th, 2023. I had paid for 1 checked bag on both outbound and return flights but never ended up checking in any bags. When I got to the airport both in Toronto and the Dominican I asked the check in agent about the fact that I didn't have any bags to check but paid for the service. They both said to me don't worry you can call Westjet when you are back and they will refund the amount you had paid. If they had told me that I wasn't able to get a refund I may have checked my carry on so that I wouldn't have to carry anything however I was assured both in Toronto and in the Dominican on my way back that I would receive a refund if I didn't check anything in.

On the way to the Dominican I was sitting in Row 7 with my family. We were in seats A-D. Beside us in Seat 7E and 7F was a man and his family member with a small dog. During the flight the man was holding the dog in his lap and would pass the dog to his family member. At one point during the flight the dog started to poop. It had diarrhea and was defecating on everything which included the 2 people beside us, the seat, the floor, the arm rest, etc. I pulled my young son who was sitting next to them at the time over to our 3 seats. The sight and smell of this was so terrible that I started vomiting. I had to grab the bag in my seat and first started dry hurling but soon I was vomiting very badly. It was so bad that I had no choice but to leave my family and move seats. My children were also dry heaving from the terrible smell and sight and I was told that the smell lingered for quite some time after I left my family behind. I sat separated from my family from the remainder of the flight. It was a horrible experience and I was told by the flight crew that I should report this and I would receive some compensation for this terrible experience.

I sent feedback via an email a few days after the flight but I haven't heard back from the Westjet team. I called into customer service and spoke to Dilpreet who said he couldn't help me but I should send an email to this address.

I have never been sick on a flight in my life and this was a horrible experience with Westjet.

Date of travel: December 2023
Reviewed 8 April 2024

Please be very careful when you book a flight with Westjet. They cancelled an internal flight from Canada to the USA and this resulted in our missing an international connection to Australia. They have refused to help us with any expense involved in rebooking a missed international flight. I'd advise people to use a reliable Canandian Airline, do not fly on Westjet!

Date of travel: February 2024
Reviewed 8 April 2024

Terrible service, as per usual with Westjet. Changed flights three times, slow response times from agents. Unfortunately Westjet has gone downhill and we will avoid in future.

Date of travel: March 2024
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.