2,043 results
All reviews exhale spa beach beds turks caicos rain shower our honeymoon beach bar every morning beach staff hotel is beautiful coco bistro ocean front omelet station couples massage bottle of champagne turn down service somewhere cafe yoga classes
Reviewed 12 July 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Gansevoort for 4th of July weekend. The hotel is gorgeous. The rooms are beautiful and my husband loved the shower though there is a fine line between very cold and very hot. The turn down service was a nice touch as well. The pool area is beautiful and elegant. The beach is just breathtaking. It was never too crowded. The water is beautiful. It is located a short walk from the reef where we snorkeled every day.

The restaurant/ bar left something to be desired. It was easily the most expensive that we came across for both food and drinks. Breakfast was included which was fine. We got room service the first night. The person taking our order was not familiar with their menu items and one of the items on the menu she did not recognize and when delivered was not what was described on the menu. The food was average/ below average. We got a few drinks at the bar but found cheaper, better mixed drinks at the bar down the beach. We got lunch there the last day which was fine but again expensive. We ended up walking or taking cabs for other meals that we recommended by the locals and were very pleased.

All in all it was a beautiful hotel and we had a fantastic vacation but were not impressed with the restaurant.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 July 2011

We had visited Turks & Caicos before and stayed at a well known family all inclusive with our young son. We decided to bring the entire family this time - all 3 generations. We wanted a luxury experience, modern clean looking room and amentities, with a smaller more intimate atmosphere more focused on quality vs quantity. The Gansevoort had it all. As we floated around on our rafts in the pool, relaxing to the soothing music that played nonstop, it was hard to imagine ever leaving. We debated selecting the 3 bedroom or the Penthouse and were very pleased that we chose the Penthouse. Our nine year old was a little bored without video games and waterpark, but the adults had the vacation of their lives. We'll be back for sure.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank milehightravelfamily
Hotel_Gansevoort, Social Media Manager at Gansevoort Turks + Caicos, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2011

Thanks for writing us a review. We are so happy to hear you had a great time and that we were able to provide you with an enjoyable place to relax in paradise! Glad you enjoyed the penthouse. Come see us again soon!

Reviewed 11 July 2011

Having never been to Turks and Caicos we didn't know what to expect and were more than blown away by the island and especially the Gansevoort Hotel. From the moment we got there, we were made to feel important and cared about. Jean-Francois, the manager of the hotel runs a very fine, clean, and welcoming hotel. The rooms are beautiful and it does not matter which category room you book as they are all wonderful. The buffet breakfast included in our room rate was spectacular and served in a magnificent setting. The Gansevoort is not really a place for children but is perfect for a short (or long) getaway as it is a nonstop flight from nyc. It is quiet and serene and peaceful. The staff goes out of there way to make you feel very special and take care of your every need. We will DEFINATELY go back and look forward to the next trip!!!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple

Thanks for your thoughtful review. We are so happy you enjoyed your stay and will definitely pass on your kind words to Jean-Francois and the staff! Come join us down in paradise again soon!

Reviewed 10 July 2011

Ok, let me preface this review by stating that my wife and I travel frequently, and we tend to stay at 4 to 5 star resorts. She is a travel agent and so she really knows her stuff. I don’t mind paying a lot of money for accommodations so long as I receive good value as in amenities and service.

We had previously stayed at the Ritz Carlton Grand Cayman and wanted to return to the Caribbean and try a different island. We were draw to the Ganesvoort by the contemporary design of the hotel units which in essence comprised of individual condos. So we made a trip to Turks and Caicos about a month ago. The first surprise was that upon making the reservation, our credit card was charged for 3 days. That was over $2100 USD right off the bat. Ok…. So we arrived at the hotel after getting soaked in a sudden downpour upon getting off the plane. It was about 2 hours before our check-in. Soaking wet, we were told our room was not available yet. So we sat in the lobby and waited. No one told us we could go to the restaurant and get a bite to eat while waiting. We waited a long time and then finally discovered the restaurant on our own.

We ended up having to go back to the front desk to inquire about our unit (I refer to it as a unit because it really was a condo) and it was finally available. We had a one bedroom condo with a beautiful deck and lounge chairs. The décor of the unit was just outstanding – very contemporary and the finishes were high end.
And that really was the best part of our stay. Because the service at this “resort” was just lacking. The service staff is clearly not trained to service clients who are paying $600+ USD per night. They are pleasantly polite at best, but they really don’t go out of their way to be of service.

Oh, did I mention that they tack on a 10% service charge to EVERYTHING? We inquired what this 10% charge was an were advised that it was for the benefit of the staff, their uniform, and a part of it goes back to the hotel (are you kidding me???). And this was NOT part of what was expected as a tip. We were expected to tip the usual amount IN ADDITION to the 10% rip off fee. And that is a rip off fee. Charging a daily resort fee for a true resort is one thing. Tacking on 10% with no explanation unless pressed for one, is just plain greedy.

Now, we’ve established that the “resort” is trendy, the condo is well finished, but the staff is lacking. What about the beach? Well, this being the Caribbean, of course it should be one of the highlights. Grace Bay beach is quite nice. The waters are typical of the Caribbean – warm and the currents are gentle. However the “resort” does not clean the beach sand. True resorts will clean the sand of debris daily. This has never been done at the Ganesvoort. In the early morning the footprints from the night before are clearly everywhere. Whatever small pieces of trash that were left there the night before remain to be stepped on the next day.
Even worse, the beach chairs are all broken. By this I mean the mesh that you lay on has come off the steel tubing of the lounge chairs. So when you lay on the chair, your butt sinks almost down to the beach sand. Worst of all, the crossbar of the lounge chair will hit your lower back when you attempt to lie down, since your butt has no support at all and you’re sinking down so far into the chair. When my wife went to inquire about getting some other chairs that were not in such terrible shape, the beach attendant told her “they’re all broken like that”. Excuse me? Your resort charges over $600 USD per night PLUS the 10% rip off fee, and you can’t be bothered to provide decent beach chairs? Perhaps they do this to force you to rent their overpriced “luxury” lounge sofas that they feature on their brochure. Whatever. This is inexcusable.

Now for the food. Breakfast is included. This would be fine if there were some variety. But there was none to be found. The very same stale pastries, scrambled eggs, omlette station, sausages, etc., were to be found each and every day. At least change out a couple of the main items. Nah. That would be too much excitement. Make sure you get there early. Once they run out of an item, it takes them forever to refill it. If you get there later in the morning, the fruit is very slow to be replenished, if at all. Again, service was perfunctory.

Dinner at the restaurant (the breakfast area becomes a dinner restaurant in the evening) was uninspired. It was plenty expensive alright (don’t forget the 10% surcharge), but the items were boring preparations. To top it off, even though we had made a reservation, we got the overflow seating area next to the kitchen door. Nice.

My wife had lunch at the beach bar a few times. She ordered sliders which she stated were decent. One time when I accompanied her, she received 2 instead of the usual 3 sliders. When we questioned the waiter, he was extremely perturbed that we had questioned it at all, and mumbled something about this day the chef had decided to make the sliders as 2 instead of 3. He assured us that each individual slider was larger. Funny how the table behind ours got 3 sliders, each of which were the same size as the ones my wife received. I don’t like being lied to.

In the end, this was a pretty resort marred by woefully inadequately trained staff. Overall, we found the locals to be tolerant of their island guests at best. They clearly want more tourism, but they don’t seem willing to do what it takes in a competitive service industry. Our taxi driver to the airport was a perfect example. You would have thought she had been forced at gunpoint to drive a taxi for a living. She was surly and just not nice. We doubt we will return to Turks & Caicos soon. And it greatly saddens me to say this because I think there is potential here. But being there are a lot of other great destination resorts to visit, I’ll spend my money elsewhere next time.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
11  Thank dennycrane888
Reviewed 9 July 2011

I went with my boyfriend (Lance) to this amazing paradise. The entire look and feel of the hotel is sexy, chic, and chill-this is the sexiest hotel on the island. Definitely a place for couples, not families. Our room was beautiful and the staff were amazing from booking our parasailing adventure to making sure we were completely comfortable the entire time. The beach is beautiful as well as the pool. The couples massage was amazing and is a MUST .The disappointing aspects were:

1) we reserved beach beds (for two separate days) 1 week in advance and upon arriving to check in for our beach bed (day # 1), we found that they had given away our beach bed to someone else and we had to wait for them to kick these other people off of our beach bed...unprofessional and annoying

2) Our shower had water that was either piping HOT or ice COLD and no range in between. On two separate days, we asked for someone to come look at it but the water temperature never improved. We were in the room when the first maintenance worker came to check the shower and he left not understanding the issue nor fixing it.

3) The pool closes at 10PM I believe, which is pretty early for this kind of place

4) We were considering canceling our trip because the weather report did not look promising. I called the reservation hotline and was told we would receive a 6 month hotel credit if I canceled, minus the price of one night's stay. I told them I would call back and let them know but i never canceled them at this point. The day before we left for our trip, I received a call stating they had notes on our account that we were going to cancel and they were calling to confirm the details. THEN, my boyfriend received an email the next day (the day we left) asking if we were coming. He then received an email after this stating we could instead receive full credit and come within 6 months-->in other words, none of the reservations employees communicated with each other on how they would contact us. This was VERY annoying.

5) The desserts at Bagatelle taste like they are from a frozen goods section of a grocery store-no flavor or indulgence whatsoever

Besides those issues, it was a great place to visit.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple