2,042 results
All reviews mango reef restaurant swim up bar blue haven ocean front full kitchen caicos dream tours time share sister properties free shuttle beautiful beach washer dryer rum punch grocery store beach house dinner on the beach half bath coral gardens
Reviewed 2 May 2012

the room, beach, and restaurant were excellant. i would have liked to have stayed in the ocean front condo but none available. i would make sure that you book the ocean front in advance. the restaurant and service were the best we had the whole stay. ask for the waiter donald, he provided wonderful service. the entire wait staff were very attentive and were eager to help at all times. the food again was out-standing. the appetizer with scallops was the best ever. you can walk to the market past the salt mills for wine and food items but just get your beer at the bar because the bar was cheaper. beer very high. $6.00 coors light. go to happy hour at the wine bar across from salt mills on friday.

Room Tip: ask for ocean front only. no studio...too small
2  Thank shelia52
Reviewed 2 May 2012

This was our first trip to Turks and Caicos and I was blown away with just how beautiful the location is. The beach area in front of the Alexandra was particuarly stunning, with comfortable chairs and umbrellas. This is definitely a location for people who want to sit back, relax and enjoy good food. Not much to do otherwise, but the Alexandra tried to compensate for that with complimentary paddle boards and kayaks in front of the hotel that you can use at your leisure. Also a huge trunk by the gorgeous pool with lots of toys like noodles (my fave).

Two negatives about the area itself were the insane amount of bug bites I got during the trip and FYI, the sun is STRONG. You can't really tell because the weather isn't super hot, but trust me, you'll burn- be careful!

I echo other reviewers in that while this is not a 5-star resort, the accomodations are clean and comfortable. I do wish there was a convenience or sundries store available nearby, as the grocery run was helpful but kind of inconvenient. We were just a couple, though- perhaps families staying in a larger condo with a full kitchen appreciate it more.

I was pleasantly surprised by the oceanview studio, as we were treated to a large balcony with a chaise and table with two chairs. That seems rare in oceanview rooms.

Meals were good and prices were reasonable coming from the NYC area. I didn't think the waitstaff was all that friendly, but what can you do? Mango Reef has a huge menu, which is a plus so you don't get sick of the food, and the wine list is very fairly priced. You MUST make a reservation well in advance to dine at Coco Bistro- it really is that good. While you're there, order the conch duo and thank me later. Another nice spot was next door at The Veranda restaurant (or Sky Lounge- something like that) at Beaches. A very nice meal and good crowd at the nice bar downstairs for some after-dinner drinks. The bar at the Mango Reef is dead after 10, as are many other restaurants. The only restaurant I didn't much care for was Hemmingway's- everything was below average.

While I'm not really into any activities on vacations, I am in to boozing, and if you are, too, go on the Snorkel Trip. I promised my boyfriend we could do one activity day, and this was it. It was really a bargain for $89/person- the captain and his mate were awesome, you stop to snorkel and later to dive for conch, watch them take apart the conch and then they make you this awesome conch ceviche. You also stop on a lovely private beach for a break and there's unlimited drinks. I got bombed and actually had a lot of fun!

We also did a horseback riding trip, which was just okay. It seemed pretty pricey ($110/person) and kind of brokeass. The concierge booked a very small company for us, but I hear that there is a larger, more established place on the island that you can use. My boyfriend was riding like 3/4 of a mile ahead of me because my horse didn't want to move and so I was pretty much alone the whole time. Not exactly romantic, but it was still okay.

I'd go back to the resort because the pricing is very inexpensive for the island and really had very few complaints. Other hotels in the area certainly did look prettier, but the cost was 5x higher- not necessarily worth it. One more plus- check in and check out were a breeze- very fast and polite!

Room Tip: Marilyn Building, High Floor
7  Thank bellalis
Reviewed 1 May 2012

We have just returned from a one week stay at the Alexandra Resort in Turks and Caicos (April 18 to April 25).

We initially sent an e-mail to Annette prior to leaving which she promptly replied to. Once we arrived she had managed to have taken care of our every request. We could not have asked for better service.

RESORT:
We were on the second floor of the Prima Donna Bldg. Our room, 3202, was a Garden-view unit; it was well appointed and well maintained throughout our entire stay. We even had a view of the ocean, what a great spot.

We were worried that the fridge would be too small but it was fine. We had plenty of room for our food and beverages.

GROCERIES:
Both grocery stores have everything you would need, however we did bring a few items from home such as peanut butter, coffee, tea, popcorn, microwavable rice, peanuts and chips but probably wouldn’t next visit because of the variety of goods available at varied costs from the stores.

The resort will shuttle you to the grocery store at 4:30 p.m. daily at a cost of $9.00/person. They give you about 45 minutes to shop which for us was perfect.

You can walk to the smaller Graceway Gourmet from the resort, via road about 15 minutes, via beach about 20 minutes.

STAFF:
All of the staff at the Alexandra Resort work very hard and were all pleasant. They are truly nice people.

Weslle (beach) was very charming and made sure that everyone at the beach acquired the perfect sitting location, umbrellas, towels and any water equipment you might need.

"Kim" (Brokimia (sp?)) at the front desk was also extremely pleasant, patient and helpful.

Edwin (front desk) was always welcoming and smiling.

FOOD:
We did eat out at the Mango Restaurant a few times and enjoyed the food, the location and being served by Jean Luc who made it that much more pleasurable. The sunsets were magnificent.

We did have lunch at the Tiki Hut and Hemingway’s which were also very nice. We paid around $50.00 for the lunches which included drinks and tips.

TRANSPORTATION:
We rented bicycles ($35.00 for two/day) and a car ($63.00 mid size/day) from Caicos Wheels which was a lot of fun. They will drop off in the morning and pick up the next day if you wish. The entire island is beautiful and the people are genuine.

We had a very nice holiday, the weather was perfect, the accommodations were great and the staff complimented the environment. We would recommend the Alexandra Resort and would love to be able to visit again.

2  Thank John W
Reviewed 1 May 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Alexandra, in a private owner's condo, for a week in April 2012. We picked the Alexandra because it seemed nice and not stuffy....which were right on. We don't look for the lap of total luxury when we do beach vacations, we are looking for laid back, totally relaxing vacations where we can do what we want.....and this was it.

First, the hotel provides such a great experience. No, its not the pinnacle of luxury, but it is really nice, and most importantly, it gave us a great experience. That experience was possible because the Mango Reef restaurant was a fantastic place to eat all meals, and get drinks at night, then they have music most nights; my favorite time however was going down to the Mango restaurant in the early morning hours, getting a cup of coffee, and staring at the ocean, priceless. The Alex itself was nice, very comfortable, and a good value.

The only issue I ran into, which is not the resorts fault, was the sand flies.....man o man were they brutal to me. I noticed many people had one or two bites, I literally stepped in a nest or something and had 40+ bites.....and if you've never heard of sand flies, like I hadn't, they are impossible to see as they are so small, and they bite you and leave a mosquito like bump....the only thing is, it itches and is larger and redder than a mosquito....they are a good 10 x's worse than a mosquito.....that was NOT fun.

Overall however, I would, and will, go back as soon as possible.....unforgettable.

Room Tip: We booked on vrbo.com and rented unit 3307, it was fantastic and they were good to deal with.
3  Thank LfeisGood
Reviewed 30 April 2012

The Alexandria may not be the most luxurious place on Grace Bay, but it is so comfortable, very welcoming and the staff goes above and beyond to be pleasantly friendly and accommodating. Our 2 bedroom villa was immaculate, quite spacious, very well kept and the decor was up to date! Our balcony, with it's lovely ocean view, was huge and afforded us the luxury of having the living room and two bedrooms to connect yet be very private to each! Our housekeeper made sure we were very well taken care of providing an abundance of towels and toiletries, beautifully made beds with fresh crisp sheets and a special "turn down" each night! And, the best part, we were just steps away from the most beautiful Caribbean sea with its crystal clear water and the softest white sand. The Mango Reef Restaurant has to be THE BEST on the island and it, too, was only steps away from our spectacular villa. We were greeted each day with a smiling staff member and we were always made to feel very welcomed and appreciated. They too met our every need and were happy to provide a most pleasant atmosphere for us. Having a delicious meal, provided by a well trained staff, watching the most incredible and breathtaking sunsets, while your bare feet dwell in the softness of the white sandy beach is truly a fine, very relaxing and enjoyable vacation. We've been to different parts of Mexico, Aruba, Grand Cayman, St. Kitts, St. Thomas, St. John's, St. Maarten, Bermuda, Bahamas, Costa Rica and we all agree that this island of Turks and Caicos was, by far, our best stay yet!!! Yes, the Alexandra is not the most luxurious, but it certainly provided us with a most beautiful, spacious, immaculately clean and welcoming place to relax, with delicious meals, and to swim in the most beautiful waters of anywhere else in the Caribbean! We didn't get the BEST of weather, but we did make the BEST of our stay at the lovely Alexandra.

Room Tip: The two bedroom ocean view villa was perfect for us
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends