Kohala Village Inn(Hawi)(Great Value!)
US$102
US$485
Hotels.com
  • Beachfront
The Westin Hapuna Beach Resort(Puako)(Great Value!)
US$356
Cancelon
  • Beachfront
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii(Puako)(Great Value!)
US$240
US$229
Savings alert! 10% below average rates

The price you found is 10% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$255/night.

US$298
US$409
US$199
US$409
  • Pool
All reviewsinfinity poolyoga roommain buildingnorth kohala coastbamboo restaurantthe big islandsecluded placefruits and vegetablesapple bananasdietary restrictionsthe hotel sitshot waterfacing the oceanbeautiful propertystayed longereach morninglarge boulders
Reviewed 18 March 2018

Let me begin this review by saying that my step-daughter and I very much enjoyed this retreat. However, since it was not at all what we expected, I thought it would be helpful to clarify it further here.
1. This is very much a healing, meditative, and rest experience. It is not a luxury yoga experience (It is not Miraval).
2. We signed up for the yoga package (3 sessions). However, the first 2 were primarily Qigong and the last strictly yoga (at our request).
3. The food is delicious and modified to meet dietary restrictions. However, there is no menu from which to order, no buffet, and (usually no dinner available on site.) (Breakfast and lunch are served at fixed times.)
4. The retreat is at the end of a long, rutted road which is not lit at night. You will need a car and preferably something with 4 wheel drive if available.
5. This is not a tourist heavy location. The retreat is situated between 2 lovely small towns which are worth visiting. The selection of restaurants is, therefore, somewhat limited. We loved the Bamboo restaurant and chose to eat there a couple of times in our week there. Had we stayed longer, I am sure that we would have made another visit.

Room Tip: We chose a room on the second level with a view of the ocean. It has a small balcony from which we enjoyed the ocean breeze.
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Marianne R
hawaiiislandretreat, Front Office Manager at Hawaii Island Retreat at Ahu Pohaku Ho`omaluhia, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2018

Aloha,

It was a pleasure having you here! And, mahalo for taking the time to share your experience; it helps us as well as others who may be interested in staying with us.

We hope this was the first of many times we'll see you.

A hui hou (Until we meet again.)

The Staff at Hawaii Island Retreat

Reviewed 22 February 2018 via mobile

Although we did partake of the main facilities, the property was lovely, comfortable and serene. Our luxury yurt was very comfortable with a king bad and half bath (cold water only). Two bath houses - one of them solar (and not perceptible water) - were adjacent. The location is quite far off the main road and a bit of a challenge to find. It suited our needs for a last-minute reservation for a family wedding. And the staff was very friendly.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 December 2017

A retreat is somewhere that allows you to be in a quiet or secluded place. Hawaii Island Retreat is indeed quiet and secluded. Located a few miles down a dirt road, You’ll wonder if there is really a hotel at the end, as there is absolutely no signage until you arrive. Then you’ll see a very tiny sign at the entrance to the grounds.

The hotel looks like a mansion,. If I hadn’t see the photos of the construction, I could have believed the main building was built in the last century and not in this one. The gorgeous old-style furnishings contribute to the illusion.

The Golden Peacock suite lived up to its name. At the time of day when light enters at a particular angle, the room takes on a golden glow. It’s large, comfortable, beautifully furnished and private. It has its own deck which looks into a forest of trees. If you peek through the trees, you can glimpse the ocean. Even though you can’t see the ocean directly, you can hear its power.

This section of the coast is wild. The hotel sits on a bluff with no beach access. There is a short hike down to what’s called a “public access” beach but the large boulders and violent sea preclude walking on it. Still, the view from the gulley is breathtaking, with a steady wind and sea spray that’s refreshing. There is also a short hike to a viewpoint from a cliff which allows you to see the wild coast from a safe perch. There are many other lovely short hikes on the property.

There many things in this hotel that you’d find in the finest 5-star hotels, but there are many things that fall short of the luxury expectation, such as lack of ready hot water and an attentive staff. The solar panels that heat the water might be eco-friendly, but it took 6 minutes for hot water to travel from the panels to my room. My typical shower is 5 minutes or less, so I ended wasting a lot of water as I can’t take cold water showers. Adding a boost heater or locating a hot water reservoir near the hotel would be eco-smart.

Although the ocean is not accessible for swimming, the hotel has a beautiful, clean infinity pool. As it appears to be “solar” heated (i.e., from the rays of the sun), it’s too cold for casual splashing around. Those who work up a sweat swimming will probably find its temperature perfect.

The hotel has a yoga room, which could fit about 40 people. As there are no classes available (unless you come as part of a yoga retreat), make sure to bring you favorite yoga app. You’ll find mats, blocks, blankets, and more. The view is amazing.

The fitness room located by the pool hasn’t seen much fitness lately. The few machines—nordic track, bowflex, gravity boots—were moved to the side. Only the bowflex was accessible, and who knows how to use that! The large exercise stability ball was flat. The lightest free weight was 8 lbs, which is fine for many, but I could have used weights that were lighter.

The hotel is a delight for those of us who like the dark. They turn off the lights at night. They don’t use flood lights. I enjoyed that aspect. You might not.

Upon arrival, I was told that breakfast would be at 8:30. Indeed, the written information in the room said the same. The reality is that you get breakfast only if the owner is in town. A “retreat” isn’t quite a retreat if you have to drive out of the premises to forage for food. One day I literally foraged on the grounds, but oranges were the only ripe things I found. After eating four of them for breakfast and lunch, I resigned myself to driving to town twice a day. I skipped lunch altogether. I found it ironic that the hotel highlights the fact they have a food garden, but yet no food in sight. (There are plenty of food smells, however, as the staff does cook in the hotel kitchen for themselves several times a day.) Coffee is supposed to appear each morning even if breakfast does not. One day the coffee was cold, the next day there was none. The next two days the coffee was at the proper temperature. The tea water was always reliably lukewarm. There is no coffee or tea service in the room.

The owner arrived on the last day of our stay, so we did have a lovely breakfast then. The hotel doesn’t serve juice, just coffee, warm water, and cold water. (As an aside, no bar.)

On check in, we were urged to fill our water bottles with the filtered water provided in the dining room. However, one day staff disappeared and did not refill the filtered water for over a day. I found that the tap water in the room is perfectly good for drinking. The hotel doesn’t provide glasses, just a large water bottle that you can fill from the tub faucet.

Other than one group who checked out on our first morning, there were no other guests during my 4-night stay. It makes one wonder about the long-term viability of the hotel. I think it is best suited not as a hotel, but as a facility that a large group can rent for yoga retreats, weddings, and other celebrations.

Room Tip: The Golden Peacock suite it quite private and large.
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
6  Thank DigitalRabbit
Reviewed 26 September 2017

My time at Hawaii Island Retreat was nurturing and just delightful all around. I spent many hours floating in BLISS in the salt water infinity pool. Gorgeous, peaceful grounds.... The staff is helpful and super accommodating. This is the perfect place to come unwind and connect with pure nature. The best part of my time at Hawaii Island Retreat was the totally yum healthy food. OMG Many fruits, veggies and herbs grown right there on property. This hidden Oasis is the owned by Jeanne Sunderland and her fantastic and multi talented family. They treat their guests like extended Ohana with warmth and care. Thank you Jeanne. Thank you HIR!

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 August 2017

As we drove along the long dirt road to the retreat we were thrilled to leave the pavement behind and settle into nature.
We were warmly greeted by Elaine, the resident Stafford Terrier (a spirited 70lbs of love). Entered the huge glass doors to a bright and open foyer where we met Jeannie (owner) whose gracious spirit was felt immediately.
We chose a bungalow and so glad we did. It was spacious and clean and we loved the patio ( lanai) facing the ocean. We basically kept the doors and windows open the entire time to enjoy the ocean breeze and the sounds of nature.
The staff are priceless, warm, friendly! This place attracts the most positive and warm people!
Food is organic and homegrown! Just delicious! Never disappointed!
You can explore all 50 acres at your leisure. From the cliffs of the Pacific, through the tall pines and stone circles, the organic gardens, visit the goats and cows and stroll to the infinity pool to cool off and relax... it's your choice.
Overall this was the most relaxing experience wrapped up with friendships and healing!
We already booked our return in April 2018!

Room Tip: If you like a bathroom/ shower in your suite do not choose the Yurts.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
hawaiiislandretreat, Guest Relations Manager at Hawaii Island Retreat at Ahu Pohaku Ho`omaluhia, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2017

Hi Bobbie! It was such an honor and a pleasure to host you guys. Thank you for your heart filled review of our retreat. We also enjoy the peaceful nature and ocean sounds. We are thrilled you roamed the grounds and discovered our farm animals! Relaxation is our goal and we are grateful you experienced the blissful tranquil healing power of Hawaii Island Retreat. See you next year!