Lets get the negative stuff out of the way first:
1) The island & the resort are remote - Don't expect a 5 Star resort experience.
2) The only reason you should be here is to dive (or be with someone who dives) - don't expect anything more than the diving!
3) The island is small - and I mean small! Don't expect lots of scenery & things to do other than diving.
4) Yes the rooms might be noisy, but they are comfortable & have everything you need - the housekeeping staff do a great job.
5) Some of the facilities might be ageing - but you are 300 kilometres from everywhere & you are here for the diving.
6) Yes the Wi-Fi is slow, but see points above - you are hundreds of kilometres from anywhere - not in a major urban environment.
Thanks all at Layang Layang for a great stay - As other reviewers have said, the staff are terrific!!
The GOOD STUFF -
1) Resort staff are fantastic. My partner & I are Vegan & we had some issues with communicating our requirements for the first day or so, but after we found common ground with the kitchen staff we were treated like royalty - THANK YOU!
2) Dive staff & boat crew are terrific. We had Ching Ching & Cyril, different but both excellent. I'm sure Cyril has ultra good eyesight - spots sharks in the blue & then is finding cray feelers on the reef wall. Alsham & Azuzul gave us great service on the boat, were always there when you needed them.
3) Diving was excellent. Apart from the never ending search for hammerheads the walls & reef were rich with healthy corals & vibrant aquatic life. Every dive had something different, even when the visibility was down a bit because of big swell the reef had something to capture your attention.
4) We were too late in the season to see schooling hammerheads, but found Mantas on few dives & schools of Jacks & Trevally. Would definitely comeback again, but next time earlier in the season to catch the hammerheads
3) The divin
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Layang Layang Island Resort Sdn Bhd is an exclusive resort that dominates the Layang Layang island - an oceanic atoll of Spratly Islands situated approximately 300km northwest of Kota Kinabalu in Sabah, Malaysia. Fondly known as "The Jewel of the Borneo Banks," it is truly a diver's paradise. As many as 14 coral reefs have formed here, creating a breathtaking underwater scenery. The dive sites are well known for the intriguing hammerhead sharks and pygmy seahorses among other rare creatures. An hour's flight north of Kota Kinabalu, the island on which Layang Layang Island Resort Sdn Bhd nestles lies in 2,000 m of ocean and, due partly to the depth, this atoll has become famous for sightings of large pelagic species and for wall diving. Layang Layang Island Resort Sdn Bhd is the only resort on the island besides a Royal Malaysia Navy base. The resort, designed to look like the traditional Long House, comprises 86 cosy rooms, restaurant and bar, outdoor swimming pool, dive center with certified diving instructors and a variety of diving courses among other facilities for modern comforts. Come for the exclusive and intriguing diving experience at this remote destination out of the world, where rare and uncommon underwater creatures await you! ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Avillion Layang Layang Island Hotel Layang Layang
- Layang Island Hotel
- Avillion Layang Layang Sabah