“Wonderful Stay on Layang Layang”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Layang Layang
Layang Layang Island Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Layang Layang
Reviewed 8 July 2016

Lets get the negative stuff out of the way first:
1) The island & the resort are remote - Don't expect a 5 Star resort experience.
2) The only reason you should be here is to dive (or be with someone who dives) - don't expect anything more than the diving!
3) The island is small - and I mean small! Don't expect lots of scenery & things to do other than diving.
4) Yes the rooms might be noisy, but they are comfortable & have everything you need - the housekeeping staff do a great job.
5) Some of the facilities might be ageing - but you are 300 kilometres from everywhere & you are here for the diving.
6) Yes the Wi-Fi is slow, but see points above - you are hundreds of kilometres from anywhere - not in a major urban environment.

Thanks all at Layang Layang for a great stay - As other reviewers have said, the staff are terrific!!
The GOOD STUFF -
1) Resort staff are fantastic. My partner & I are Vegan & we had some issues with communicating our requirements for the first day or so, but after we found common ground with the kitchen staff we were treated like royalty - THANK YOU!
2) Dive staff & boat crew are terrific. We had Ching Ching & Cyril, different but both excellent. I'm sure Cyril has ultra good eyesight - spots sharks in the blue & then is finding cray feelers on the reef wall. Alsham & Azuzul gave us great service on the boat, were always there when you needed them.
3) Diving was excellent. Apart from the never ending search for hammerheads the walls & reef were rich with healthy corals & vibrant aquatic life. Every dive had something different, even when the visibility was down a bit because of big swell the reef had something to capture your attention.
4) We were too late in the season to see schooling hammerheads, but found Mantas on few dives & schools of Jacks & Trevally. Would definitely comeback again, but next time earlier in the season to catch the hammerheads
3) The divin

Room Tip: You are here for the diving - enjoy it.
  • Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Steve L

Reviewed 11 June 2016

Nice and professional diving guides, bring us to meet with hammerheads sharks in every dives in the morning!

Rooms are comfortable but easily to hear noise from neighbors due to the wooden structure; would be better to retouch the toilet washbasin as cockroaches always come out from gaps.

Meals are good and delicious, but seems similar every day; if can provide more variety in dishes would be perfect.

Network is quite weak here, only Celcom is available on this Island but still hard to connect; so don't expect you can keep working and co-ordinate with your company during your trip here.

Return charter flight by MASWing (Malaysia Airline) delay for one day due to aircraft technical problem

Room Tip: choose those rooms near the diving centre
  • Stayed: June 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank Tanamishu
Reviewed 5 June 2016 via mobile

I stayed here with my wife for a week in May and everything was great. The stage were very friendly and there was always plenty of food in the buffet to choose from. The rooms etc are a bit basic but given the remoteness of the location that really isn't a surprise. The diving was truly amazing in the area and I would definitely go again

Thanks to all the staff there

Stayed: May 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mike S
Reviewed 23 May 2016 via mobile

The diving here is all about Hammerhead Sharks and as with all things nature based you take your chances, we were there for 8 days early May and for the first 4 days we saw little but for the second 4, oh man was it good, we observed a number of individual sightings and two huge schools on separate days, upwards of 100 animals !! We were up close and personal (fantastic photos from very basic equipment ) that sort of encounter leaves a lasting impression.
Other than the hammers I wouldn't rate the reefs much compare to other coral reefs but then who cares when you have a chance of seeing hammers.
Some guys bring documentary type dive equipment and can be a bit of a pain (particularly the macro fanatics) standing your ground works for me, their equipment is far to expensive for them to risk damaging it.
I'd read a lot about dive masters prior to my travelling to Layang Layang and being one myself, here's my opinion for what its worth, diving here is all about in the blue looking for hammers, and with 10 or so divers to each dive master who is using his expertise to find shark not babysit you (within reason ) so if you are a resort only type diver and not comfortable at 30 - 35m potentially in a bit of current and possibly with limited visability or not capable of monitoring your own air consumtion, deco resquirements and personal assents then this is not the spot for you unless you want to book a private DM or take some other measures like a good competent dive buddy, you have got to intimately know your dive computer and the information being provided to you by it.
If however all of the above is you then take a chance, if you hit a school of hammers believe me you will discount everything else about the trip.
As with everything in life some DM's are better than others, we dived with Gavin for half our trip and found him to be an excellent and professional DM with good interpersonal skills, I again stress however you have to be competent in your own ability.
The resort? ? its a dive resort and if your not a diver there really is no reason for you to be there, I've read all the reports about thin walls on the accommodation, its true but who cares, after 3 dives a day starting at 07.30 everyone is in bed by 22.00 hrs anyway, the accommodation is perfectly adequate, clean and comfortable with a good ensuite (for the chance to see hammers I would have slept in the pool anyway ) the food is plentifully and there is something for everyone, be flexible the western visitor is not the islands main customer demographic, believe me you won't go hungry.
The staff are the jewel in the Layang Layang crown, they are so polite and pleasant always willing to look after you. I've read negotiate comments about staff attitude which I found totally unfounded, every morning they will greet you with a smile, if however you don't bother to interact with them, then you didn't get poor service !
After a week or so if you don't know at least a few of them by name ( Jerry the barman is a vital one) then what do you expect from them.
The only down point that I would definitely change if possibe is the very very early moring flight which results in an incredibly early check in at KK and results in a very long off day prior to depature, however I discussed this issue with the manager who agreed a lunchtime flight would offer a far better alternative, so here's hoping.
If your a competent diver comfortable in depth then give yourself a treat and book a trip, if you meet the hammers you will love yourself forever, I would return in a heartbeat.
Remember your uptime, engage with the staff, they will so enrich your stay. so good luck if your going I wish I was you.

Stayed: May 2016, travelled as a couple
8  Thank James O
Reviewed 24 April 2016 via mobile

Hotel: Very friendly staff, but rooms are old and you can hear every little noise from your neighbors. The pool didn't seem very clean and the pool area was simply equiped with plastic chairs and not very pleasent to relax.

Food: buffet style and a bit repetitive. My feeling was the buffet is geared to please the predominantly Chinese clients.

Diving: good viz and nice wall dives but if the hammerheads are not around its not that exciting. the dive groups are too big with 10+ people and only one dive master per group. we had people going into deco or seperated by the group unnoticed by the dive master. So if you are not really experienced I wouldn't recommend to go there because of safety considerations.

Overall, i think for the price you pay there are better options to dive in Asia.

Stayed: April 2016, travelled with friends
2  Thank Onestar81

Been to Layang Layang Island Resort? Share your experiences!