All reviews dive master great diving between dives enjoy your stay hot shower night dive napoleon wrasse white tip reef sharks dive experience large school tilefish jacks hammer dm deco boats vis
Reviewed 11 June 2016

Nice and professional diving guides, bring us to meet with hammerheads sharks in every dives in the morning!

Rooms are comfortable but easily to hear noise from neighbors due to the wooden structure; would be better to retouch the toilet washbasin as cockroaches always come out from gaps.

Meals are good and delicious, but seems similar every day; if can provide more variety in dishes would be perfect.

Network is quite weak here, only Celcom is available on this Island but still hard to connect; so don't expect you can keep working and co-ordinate with your company during your trip here.

Return charter flight by MASWing (Malaysia Airline) delay for one day due to aircraft technical problem

Room tip: choose those rooms near the diving centre
Date of stay: June 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank Tanamishu
Reviewed 5 June 2016 via mobile

I stayed here with my wife for a week in May and everything was great. The stage were very friendly and there was always plenty of food in the buffet to choose from. The rooms etc are a bit basic but given the remoteness of the location that really isn't a surprise. The diving was truly amazing in the area and I would definitely go again

Thanks to all the staff there

Date of stay: May 2016
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank Combat360XKhaoLak
Reviewed 23 May 2016 via mobile

The diving here is all about Hammerhead Sharks and as with all things nature based you take your chances, we were there for 8 days early May and for the first 4 days we saw little but for the second 4, oh man was it good, we observed a number of individual sightings and two huge schools on separate days, upwards of 100 animals !! We were up close and personal (fantastic photos from very basic equipment ) that sort of encounter leaves a lasting impression.
Other than the hammers I wouldn't rate the reefs much compare to other coral reefs but then who cares when you have a chance of seeing hammers.
Some guys bring documentary type dive equipment and can be a bit of a pain (particularly the macro fanatics) standing your ground works for me, their equipment is far to expensive for them to risk damaging it.
I'd read a lot about dive masters prior to my travelling to Layang Layang and being one myself, here's my opinion for what its worth, diving here is all about in the blue looking for hammers, and with 10 or so divers to each dive master who is using his expertise to find shark not babysit you (within reason ) so if you are a resort only type diver and not comfortable at 30 - 35m potentially in a bit of current and possibly with limited visability or not capable of monitoring your own air consumtion, deco resquirements and personal assents then this is not the spot for you unless you want to book a private DM or take some other measures like a good competent dive buddy, you have got to intimately know your dive computer and the information being provided to you by it.
If however all of the above is you then take a chance, if you hit a school of hammers believe me you will discount everything else about the trip.
As with everything in life some DM's are better than others, we dived with Gavin for half our trip and found him to be an excellent and professional DM with good interpersonal skills, I again stress however you have to be competent in your own ability.
The resort? ? its a dive resort and if your not a diver there really is no reason for you to be there, I've read all the reports about thin walls on the accommodation, its true but who cares, after 3 dives a day starting at 07.30 everyone is in bed by 22.00 hrs anyway, the accommodation is perfectly adequate, clean and comfortable with a good ensuite (for the chance to see hammers I would have slept in the pool anyway ) the food is plentifully and there is something for everyone, be flexible the western visitor is not the islands main customer demographic, believe me you won't go hungry.
The staff are the jewel in the Layang Layang crown, they are so polite and pleasant always willing to look after you. I've read negotiate comments about staff attitude which I found totally unfounded, every morning they will greet you with a smile, if however you don't bother to interact with them, then you didn't get poor service !
After a week or so if you don't know at least a few of them by name ( Jerry the barman is a vital one) then what do you expect from them.
The only down point that I would definitely change if possibe is the very very early moring flight which results in an incredibly early check in at KK and results in a very long off day prior to depature, however I discussed this issue with the manager who agreed a lunchtime flight would offer a far better alternative, so here's hoping.
If your a competent diver comfortable in depth then give yourself a treat and book a trip, if you meet the hammers you will love yourself forever, I would return in a heartbeat.
Remember your uptime, engage with the staff, they will so enrich your stay. so good luck if your going I wish I was you.

Date of stay: May 2016
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
11  Thank 972JamesO
Reviewed 24 April 2016 via mobile

Hotel: Very friendly staff, but rooms are old and you can hear every little noise from your neighbors. The pool didn't seem very clean and the pool area was simply equiped with plastic chairs and not very pleasent to relax.

Food: buffet style and a bit repetitive. My feeling was the buffet is geared to please the predominantly Chinese clients.

Diving: good viz and nice wall dives but if the hammerheads are not around its not that exciting. the dive groups are too big with 10+ people and only one dive master per group. we had people going into deco or seperated by the group unnoticed by the dive master. So if you are not really experienced I wouldn't recommend to go there because of safety considerations.

Overall, i think for the price you pay there are better options to dive in Asia.

Date of stay: April 2016
Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank Onestar81
Reviewed 25 October 2015

We were there in June and after reading reviews decided to go to Layang Layang rather than Sipadan. The diving was fantastic (we used to own a diving business so have plenty to compare with). The briefings were excellent with the divemaster and skipper being conscious of our extra needs - after my partners back operation we needed a slower more comfortable boat speed and donning gear in the water rather than fully kitted entries. Prior to entering the water the divemaster always checked currents and updated all on dive plan. On our trip we were lucky as there were 19 divers in total (I think) spread over 3 boats. Everybody dived conservatively rarely dropping below 35-40m range or getting into deco - yes you are responsible for your own actions and dive profiles so do not blame the divemaster if you go too deep - nowadays with computers there is no excuse or any one else to blame. It was late in the season (the next group after us I think only had 8 or 9 guests) but we still saw hammerheads on several dives and on the walls the macro life was excellent. The only downside on the dives were the photographers- if you found something interesting to show your partner these would barge through with their cameras or chase things away. This annoyance can be reduced by the divemaster briefing warning photographers to be more courteous of other divers or putting all the photographers on one boat to fight it out amongst themselves or as in our case if all else fails a blast of bubbles from below them!. We stayed in a deluxe room which was quiet and in a block of its own and found we had the block to ourselves as they were doing the other rooms up. Layang Layang has obviously had its hayday gone down and now picking itself up so you can see things are being improved - the extra cost of return flight to the remote island is probably a bit of a barrier to many compared with more accessible places but well worth while. The staff to guest ratio seemed to be high easily 2:1 as we were a small group. Nothing seemed to be a problem with all staff being courteous and friendly. The regional food was great with plenty of choice and quantity throughout the 5 daily feeds. Our group of 19 comprised 2 Australians, 1 Canadian 2 Italian, with the rest being Malaysian, Singaporean, Chinese - there was plenty of food for all and if something was wiped quickly by others all you needed to do was ask and it was replenished. Internet access and speed was a concern when we booked as some reviews were negative - although we went for the diving I did need to do daily bookings/enquiries emails for our Allambie Cottages back in Bright Victoria. We never had any internet or phone problems - you just have to remember you are in the middle of a huge ocean and do not need it in your room and not necessary to download big files. The Internet service works great down in the reception area and the speed was great for what we needed to do.
Finally would we go back/recommend this dive resort - you bet - unfortunately due to the weather conditions the resort is only open for a few months a year so we will have to wait until next year and cannot wait to go back - already counting down the days!

Room tip: Deluxe rooms are great rooms but remember the rooms on the kitchen side do have compressor noise
Date of stay: June 2015