All reviews dive master great diving between dives enjoy your stay hot shower night dive napoleon wrasse white tip reef sharks dive experience large school tilefish jacks hammer dm deco boats vis
Reviewed 30 April 2018

We flew all the way from the UK with just one plan- to dive with Hammerheads!
The diving didn't disappoint over the ten days we were there. There were a few days where we didn't see any but that's because we were taken to dive sites where they weren't hanging around- however on those days, we did see a manta and other large things such as turtles and Napoleon Wrasse. We had several divemasters, of which Zoey and Roy were by far the best- full of enthusiasm and able to find us Hammers every time. On our very last dive, not only did we see a large school of maybe 30 or 40, we saw them extremely close-up and got incredible footage on our cameras.
The resort itself could do with a lick of paint and some modernisation, but it was incredibly clean and the staff were all, without exception, amazing. Jerry made sure that I always had chilli and sambal to spice up the lovely food (catering was for a Western/Chinese palate and therefore delicious, but not spicy enough for me!) Mark, the resort manager was always on hand to make sure everything was OK and he was so friendly and cheerful every time! Any little niggles we had (such as wanting to be with our European friends in a group instead of on our own with a bunch of Chinese who all knew each other!) were swiftly sorted. The O rings can get a bit leaky on the tanks due to the nature of the very deep dives and therefore wear and tear. My advice is just to check before you dive and they'll replace it quickly and easily before you head off to the dive site, no problem. This is a resort where if you are unhappy about ANYTHING at all, just ask about it- they will do all they can to accommodate your needs and that includes diet. One of my friends needed lactose-free food and they made sure he had plenty of specially prepared delicious food to keep him full and happy every day.
Once a week, they do a beautiful Malaysian style sit-down meal instead of the usual buffet.Your divemasters will also join you, so remember to buy them a beer as they work so hard for you all week! It's a really lovely touch and brings everyone together.

Please LISTEN to the resort when they say you have to be an experienced diver for this holiday. It's so easy to go into deco at such depths and a few daft people clearly didn't know how to watch their dive computers properly. Be aware that if YOU go into deco and don't clear it or chase the wildlife or do anything stupid, you WILL be blacklisted and this could affect your holidays at other resorts too. I think this is absolutely brilliant because I've seen so many people disrespect the wildlife in other resorts and it's so good to see that Layang Layang will not tolerate it and cares very deeply for the welfare and sustainability of their precious reef.
The diving itself is amazing- incredible vis, sharks galore and plenty of other stuff to keep you occupied when you do your shallow afternoon dives on the reef.
I think we were very lucky with our group- everyone was an experienced diver with many dives under their belts. This meant that the divemasters could concentrate on finding us lots of Hammers to swim with instead of babysitting inexperienced divers.
Another wonderful aspect to the resort is that you can do a sunset or night jetty dive for free with your buddy if your divemaster thinks you are experienced enough. There's some really good muck diving to be had and the resort really should push this more as it truly was the icing on the cake to find so many exciting critters just on the doorstep!
I can't emphasise enough just how much I loved my time here and we will definitely be back to see the Hammerheads and the lovely staff next year! I have never been to a resort where pretty much every single member of staff simply can't do enough for you and this was very much appreciated by our group.
Top tip 1: Ignore the bad reviews but just bear in mind, you sometimes have to ask if something is not quite to your liking and when you do, they WILL sort it out asap. If you think of this resort as a live-aboard on land with much better food, then this is the place for you!
Top tip 2: Try to go as a group of similarly experienced friends. It really makes a big difference if you all speak the same language and can all dive responsibly. :)
Top tip 3: The ratio of divemaster to guests can get very high. Just make sure you take your PADI training seriously and look out for your buddy so that the divemasters can concentrate solely on finding those mysterious Hammers for you. It's so worth it when they find them! :)
In a nutshell: Go in Hammerhead season and you will experience world-class, amazing diving that you will never forget!

Room tip: Ask for Deluxe room if you want a bit more comfort and quiet.
Date of stay: April 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
8  Thank Lizzie S
Reviewed 13 April 2018

We had a great week here. We went in search of hammerheads and, after seeing a few during the week, on our last dive we swam with 25 graceful hammerheads. The dive operation is very well organised, the dive boats are great diving platforms, and the resort is very scenic - surrounded by ocean in all directions. A week is probably enough - the island is small and there is not a lot of variety in the diving, but the water temp was great and there was plenty of sea life - schools of trevally, barracuda and snapper, mantas, turtles, and grey and whitetip sharks as well as the hammerhead sightings.

Room tip: All very close to the pool, dining and diving.
Date of stay: April 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank Debbie C
Lawrence L, Manager at Layang Layang Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2018

Dear Debbie,

Thank you for your feedback and glad you enjoyed your stay at Layang Layang Island Resort.

Hope you will visit us again next year.

Reviewed 4 April 2018

It might have been great. It is good.
The food is decent. Average, but decent. Nothing to get excited about. Some of the desserts were great!

The staff are lovely and attentive. The captains are great, the guides skilled, the wait staff VERY attentive on removing empty plates.
They claim to be a 3-star resort, and I won't disagree with that.
The internet is known to be poor, and that's just how it is. I'm not going to 'mark them down' for it, but it is something to be aware of. To the guests: please turn off updating and everything on your laptops and phones.

The diving was good, in so far as it had nothing to do with the resort. Vis was great, corals were healthy, lots of life on the reef... Got very unlucky with hammerheads (no schools), but that's how the dice roll.

NOTE: I've spoken with the resort before writing this review.

The diving could be better. What's wrong?

1) Group size. 11 divers per guide? Some who can barely swim? No. My friend and I basically did every single dive alone because the guide had to watch over the Chinese. Who still go into deco every dive. I'm not paying this much money for unguided dives. Please read other reviews, other guests have been commenting on this from 2015. The resort is looking into this; I would enquire before you book.

2) ‎To follow on from that, having multiple blue water dives to try and see hammerheads is okay. I didn't see the schools, and while that is disappointing, it's not the resort's fault. For the third dive of the day, we would do a reef dive. The reef here is gorgeous! Spectacular! But because we're in a giant group, the guide can't look for anything, let alone keep us in a single group. My friend and I got left behind on most every dive. After the dive, "Did you see the frogfish?" "No - we couldn't even see you, you were so far ahead." They need more guides. The resort management have really dropped the ball here.

3) ‎Guests. It's not exactly the resort's fault, and it is a problem with most of Sabah now. Chinese guests. 40 guests, of which only 3 (including my friend and I) were westerners. The rest were Chinese. Many couldn't swim. They ignored rules about not walking around bird island (and crushed eggs clumsily!!!). Again, not directly the resort's fault. What I do blame the resort for is lack of control and education. They need more guides. They need to demand a higher level of skill from their guests. People willfully putting themselves at risk, puts everyone at risk. If we have to save or extricate them from something, that's not fair on me. The resort is far, far too lenient on those who dive outside of recreational limits, outside of their certification and training. The resort says they require Advanced divers with minimum of 50 dives, but there were Adventure divers there as well. There were divers who were Advanced, but had no idea how to kick (bicycling or stairwalking only). I understand it is a hard thing for a resort to police, but it's something to be aware of.

4) ‎Speaking of which, the resort wisely requires (I think) dive insurance, but because everyone is diving outside of their certification, their insurance is immediately invalidated. The resort should be requiring deep specialisation training, or similar. They have lots of instructors here - it seems most of the guides are actually instructors, who don't get to teach much. Requiring deep spec would be good for the resort (more money), good for the staff (training guests), and good for insurance. Instead, we have heightened risk everywhere. Advanced training only certifies divers to 30m depth, while dives will often dip down to 40m.

5) ‎On safety, there were a few things missing in the safety briefings - like emergency recall procedures.

6) ‎Also, there was no oxygen on the boats - we need to go back to the resort. That's not unusual, but when you have no way to get people back to the boat, the boat needs to wait for everyone before leaving, and a victim needs oxygen then and there. The resort is looking at fixing this; if this is a concern to future divers, please ask and check before you book.

7) While there are plenty of wait staff, and I've said they definitely need more guides, they also need jetty staff. This is a real safety issue that I've never seen anywhere else. The captains have no help in docking the boats, so they have to drive up, ram the dock, and jump out, leaving the boat unmanned while they grab a rope and pull the boat in. It's crazy. Why isn't there someone on the jetty to do this for them, so the captains can stay behind the wheel at all times? Why are they so short staffed there? That said, they are fantastic at it - it looks like a complicated job, and they handle it well - but they shouldn't have to.

8) ‎Tanks leak. A lot. I've seen lot of tanks improperly moved - carried by the valve knob instead of the valve stem. This breaks valves and makes them leak. And many of them do leak from the valve knobs, so the first dive of the day is usually low on pressure, (sometimes only 2/3 a tank). So, we have to check tanks and swap, and hope there's enough good spares on board. Once in a while, I can understand. There is a regularity to these leaks which is unacceptable for an expensive dive resort. I expect a higher level of care and equipment for a resort like this.

9) ‎Gear care. I would have liked to wash, or known my gear was being washed, daily (even just rinsed! Hosed off on the boat!). Instead, I worry about it getting sun and salt damaged between days of diving.

10) ‎Dive timing. I would have liked to start diving earlier (7am or even 6:30am, instead of 7:30am-8am), but because we were in big groups, there wasn't much flexibility. Some boats could/did.

11) Rubbish in the water: was minimal. Admittedly, I was surprised to see any at all, but I still managed to fill a pocket every second dive. What surprised me was what I found at the far end of the island, where there is a small beach facing the new channel. There were bags of rubbish which had been collected! This was great! There was still more rubbish around, so it definitely needs to be done more often but... why were the giant black rubbish bags, full of rubbish, just sitting there? Deteriorating in the sun over what looked like weeks or months? Why hadn't they been collected? One had already broken apart, spilling collected plastics around. It was a good start, but that garbage needs to be removed, not just left there. The resort is now aware of this, and will hopefully stay on top of it.

12) ‎The music. Ugg. Now I feel I'm getting petty, but it really did detract from the peaceful setting of this lovely resort. They play music by the buffet, which in itself is, or could be nice. However, it's bad pop music played far too loud. I've had to ask them to turn it down several times, and started just turning it down myself. The volume can't help with the quality of the music though. It was basically the latest hits on the radio. Why can't we have some nice dinner music? Why does it have to be "rockabye baby" three times a day?

13) The rooms. The rooms are fine. Nice, comfortable. Yeah, the walls were thin (my neighbors "enjoyed" their room!). However... the toilet in my room had a horrific smell coming from the cistern. No idea what it was. Like something had died in there. The bowl was clean and housekeeping were prompt every morning to turn over the rest of the room... but the bathroom stank because of it. I reported it to reception, and a day or so later the smell lessened considerably. I should have reported it sooner (it was stinking out the room if we left the door open), but it's a shame that housekeeping didn't report it themselves when they were cleaning every day.

14) Lagoon diving. The lagoon might have been nowhere near as good as I was hoping, but still provided some wonderful surprises. An ornate ghost pipefish, a couple big day octopuses (and a little one), banded pipefish (one very pregnant!), and a baby yellow box fish... I would have liked more time to dive the lagoon, and had a boat take us out, drop us off further, and for us swim back (in an unguided dive). We often saw turtles in the lagoon from the boat, too. Due to past incidents (guests getting swept out to sea for swimming out to the channel during a tide change), staff were noticeably nervous about letting us get further out. I understand that, but it's a shame. I hope their "artificial reef" and wreck area grows. So, the lagoon is hit and miss. Poor vis, limited area, but is still okay. The issue with the resort comes to dive timing. They have some VERY long surface intervals - 3 hours between dives 2 and 3. This really limits the ability to do a 5 dives - we were only ever able to squeeze in 1 extra dive a day, though we made it last a long time. If dive #3 was earlier, we could have done an afternoon dive AND a night dive, instead of just a sunset dive. This links back to item 10 earlier, with dive timing. (For divers concerned about 5 dives a day with deep dives, please understand that the lagoon is 11m deep, and most of the profile is around 4m to 8m deep.)

I avoid Chinese-frequented resorts normally. I find the quality of the diving, and general care goes down, and it seems that's exactly what has happened to Layang Layang island.

If you're considering booking, and anything I've written concerns you, please write to the resort, and get in touch with them.

With all of the amazing places I could choose to dive in South East Asia, I would be hesitant about coming back to Layang Layang.

I want to finish on a high note for this review.
The staff at the resort are all Malay, with a few Mandarin speakers, but all with great English (that I encountered). The dive guides I met were all instructors - which surprised and impressed me. They were friendly, sociable and helpful. Some quite new, some quite experienced. The reefs were gorgeous and healthy, and worth spending a long time with. Lots of big life (reef mantas, sea turtles, napoleon wrasse, white tip reef sharks, pickhandle barracudas, chevron barracudas, giant trevally and jacks).

And try the bread pudding with custard.

Room tip: Room 1102 and 1101 were very close to the diveshop and pool!
Date of stay: March 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
21  Thank Fruchle
Reviewed 3 September 2017

I join a group of divers in Layang Layang. Not the peak season, but it was OK. The vis was truely amazing. The deep blue dive was priceless. So marvelous and serene, and always rewarded with beautiful coral towards the end of dives.
The dive centre staff was friendly and accommodative. The resort staff were all smiley faces!

Date of stay: August 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank MrHanns
Reviewed 5 August 2017 via mobile

So with 10 dive buddies we did this dive trip to Layang Layang. This is also called the Swallow Reef and is located an hours flight time from Kota Kinabalu, in the state of Sabah, Malaysia.

Layang Layang is a Malaysian Navy Base reclaimed from a small island. It has a small airstrip used by both and Navy and also MAS wings , subsidiary of Malaysian Airlines to fly their ATR 72-500 twice a week to this small island. It has now become the divers Mecca to see the Hammer head Sharks.
The resort is open I think 6/7 months a year. The peak season to dive is March - June. Though some web sites tell you till Sept also but the probability of seeing the Hammerhead Sharks is max in March - June only.
There is only one small quaint resort there 'Avillion Island Resort'. He resort is adjacent to the 7233 feet long airstrip. The resort doubles up as the Airport too.
The Resort has a nice Bar 'Hammerhead' Bar, the drinks are quite reasonably priced considering everything has to be flown in to the resort twice a week only.
It's has a nice pool, spa.

The island is home to a small fantastic Bird reserve island nearby where you can see the nesting Back Naped Terns, Great Crested Terns, Sooty Terns , Lesser Frigate Birds, Pacific Golden Plover and the Brown Booby to name a few.
This place is called the swallows Reef also because of the abundance of the Migratory Barn Swallows you see on the island. They are very tame and adapt to humans well.

The dive centre is well equipped and during season goes full and offers the full range of dive certification courses along with gear rental.
The dive instructors are very friendly and double up as Dive masters to take you out diving.
There is a jetty from which the dive masters take out the diving groups for dives on boats.
Night dives are not part of the package and you need to pay 150 MYR and a minimum of 4 divers fir the night dives.

The one issue to watch out for is internet and mobile connectivity.
The internet wifi at the resort (only way) is terrible to say the least and the only cell network that works there is 'celcom'. Nothing else.
This issue has made me give this place 4 stars but others may give it 5 stars also because of this. :).

All in all a fantastic place to go diving in season to see the Hammerheads and host of other marine life and to really unwind with nice walks and seeing amazing sunsets.

Date of stay: August 2017