“ANNOYING flies, mosquitos & sand flies ”
Review of Pandanus Resort

Pandanus Resort
Ranked #1 of 24 Hotels in Mui Ne
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Beautiful surroundings and lovely attended to gardens; breakfast was also delicious - we truly enjoyed the unsweetened yoghurt and passion fruit every morning!!!! Good thing they are covering the entire buffet with nets to protect the food from the hundreds of flies! This unfortunately doesn't stop the flies to come to your breakfast table sitting on you and your food!

The morning walk through the fishing village Mui Ne was great and Vinh did a great job answering all questions from us about local life! There are great photo opportunities!

Thai Chi classes at 8:30 are given by one of the gardeners who did his best. Unfortunately his English is limited so if you are new to Thai Chi it's less than satisfactory with missing explanations.

The deluxe room unfortunately was damp. We changed the room once, while the second room was slightly better the problem seems to persist in all buildings, even the towels have a mould smell. (I am very conscious about this kind of smell as I had to live 6 months once in a moldy flat and it took years to take the smell out of my cloths!) Observing Guest Relations & Receptionist while changing our room allocation it became evident that they are very well aware about this problem.

Coming from hospitality ourselves, I dislike huge menu selections such as the blue lagoon menu. There is no way to keep all ingredients as a fresh mis-en-place (which would cause major daily spoilage costs), so it wasn't rocket science that few items we wanted to order where out in the same evening (chicken kiev and sth else I can't remember now.)

The flies will drive you CRAZY! They are on top of you if just lay by the pool, and millions will come as soon as you orders drinks or food!! Even inside the sun terrace! They are warning from sand flies when going on the beach but they seem to be elsewhere as well. The 'funny' thing is I collected another 30+ bites on the day after the 'weekly non-toxic fumigation of the resort' and I left with 50+ bites (sand flies or mosquitos) on my body despite using high deet repellent. This is the main reasons why we didn't end up extending as planned!

Pool area is beautiful and sufficient sun beds are provided. It would be lovely to see some of the wooden swings by the sun terrace and grass area rather than in the kids playground! Large four post sun beds (similar to the massage huts) for hotel guest would make this a real romantic treat for couples!

Sorry, we won't be back due to the flies.

Stayed: August 2014
4  Thank Anne H
SteveMuiNe_Vietnam, General Manager at Pandanus Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Anne,

My thanks you and your partner for staying with us. I'm sorry, however, that you gave us such a low rating as a result of the flies, over which we have very little control.

I knew from the minute we met that it would be difficult to please you as you were complaining about the sand flies before you had even been bitten and were wondering what you would do for the six days you were booked to stay here.

You had mentioned that sand flies had been a problem at other resorts around the world in which you had stayed. As you know, sand flies only bite certain people. There is something in a person's chemical makeup that attracts them and people usually know when they are susceptible. For whatever reason, Vietnamese are seldom bitten by them.

As for the regular flies that bothered you during breakfast and at poolside, I do apologize. The fishing boats that dock on our side of the cape from June to September unload and dry their catch on the beach just two kilometers away from the resort, This creates a perfect breeding ground for flies. After every major rain storm during these four months, the flies hatch and many appear at the resort for a few days. You just happened to be staying here right after a large storm, so the flies had just hatched.

Our gardeners do not run the Tai Chi every morning. It is run by our sports staff in the security department, whose job it is to play tennis, badminton, ping pong, etc. with guests that have no partners, and also to run the morning Tia Chi and afternoon yoga. You are correct that their English is limited, but normally guests are happy to just follow their movements without too much discussion.

This is the peak of the rainy season, which means that the humidity in the air hovers around 80-90% most of the time. We try to air out the rooms and we spray an air deodorizer in them to keep them smelling fresh but with such high humidity and heat, the rooms can begin to smell "musty" very rapidly. My apologies that your rooms did not smell fresh.

We have clientele from all over the world with variable tastes in food. Therefore, we have a large and varied menu to please as many guests as possible. Most items are basic (beef, pork, chicken, etc) and do not require "mis-en-place", but our turnover is sufficient that there is not too much waste.

Thank you, again, for your visit and I hope that the next resort you choose is not on a beach or in a country with sand flies.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

Perfect resort to chill out.

Where do I begin?
This resort is simply wonderful. Every night there is a complimentary wine half hour where Steve (The Manager) spends time to offer advice or just chat. It's a lovely way to begin the evenings. Steve is fantastic. He has his finger on the pulse of everything that is going in in the resort. If there were ever any issues or concerns Steve would rectify them immediately. Our friends and I loved chatting to Steve each evening over a glass (or two ) of wine.
The resort offers many complimentary excursions. The 6.30 am walking tour is really excellent. I would highly recommend this tour and it's free! There are lots of other free tours.
The hotel also offers free Tai Chi near the beach. This was a lovely way to begin the morning as well. There is also yoga.
The hotel massages were great. I enjoyed one each day after a glass of wine and thoroughly enjoyed the pampering.
The resort is situated right on the beach. It has beautiful gardens. The pool is excellent.
The rooms are lovely. I don't think it would matter which room you choose. They are lovely. We choose two bungalows beside each other overlooking the pool and ocean, but the Junior Suites were really very nice and I suspect the standard rooms are good as well. (Although I did not see inside a standard room)
The food at the hotel
Is excellent.
Breakfast is magnificent. There are some great little family restaurants across the road.
All if them are great. Make sure you try the seafood here. It is unbelievably delicious.
You can also get your laundry washed very cheaply across the road. Just carry your bag of washing and ask. Keep walking until someone says yes. They don't necessarily have a laundry sign.
You can catch the little local bus across the road from the hotel and go to the next village. Just get off when it looks interesting. When you want a bus home just wait anywhere on the side of the road and wave to the bus and it will stop. (Number 1 bus both ways.
About 10,000VN Dong/ $1)
The shop at the hotel is also very good. Not the usual junky souvenirs. Some really nice things.
The staff at the hotel try so hard and are so friendly and helpful.
This resort surpassed my expectations. I was not expecting it to be any where near as wonderful as it was.
Our only regret is that we only stayed for three nights. We needed longer.

• Stayed: July 2014
6  Thank Suesuetonge
Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

We had a bungalow just beside the pool and the kids really enjoy it!!! The walks in the morning on the big beach was a plus. Bring mosquitoes repellent. The staff was friendly, my family really enjoyed our stay at Pandanus, would recommend.

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank soumy183
SteveMuiNe_Vietnam, General Manager at Pandanus Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Soumy,

Thank you for your review and for staying with us. I just wanted to clarify one thing.

It is true that we suggest having mosquito repellent, but it is not for mosquitoes. We really have very few mosquitoes here, but there are sand flies that live on the beach. So we suggest that people who wish to walk along the beach put on mosquito repellent first so that they are not bitten by the sand flies. We fog the resort weekly, with a non-toxic insecticide, however, so that guests are generally not bothered by them within the resort.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

Having previously visited southern Vietnam, we were looking for a nice kite surfing spot whilst enjoying full service accommodation. Pandanus Resort certainly did deliver. The hotel offers direct access to the beach with all the amenities you could wish for (beach chairs, bar, restaurant, huge swimming pool) and provides great kite surfing just steps away from the hotel. Most guests seem to have come to enjoy the swimming pool area, leaving the beautiful beach to only a handful of surfers.

As for the breakfast buffet, I honestly cannot think of anything one could miss in its sumptuous offering, ranging from western style food to typical Vietnamese dishes.

In terms of location, the Pandanus is catering to people looking for peace and quiet, well illustrated by the beautiful gardens of the hotel.
Those looking for action are better off near the Phan Tiet main strip. Note that Pandanus Resort is actually closest to the authentic fishing village Mui Né, easily reached by a 20 minute walk or through one of the free bicycles offered by the resort.

If I were to have remarks, it would be the basic room types not having a terrace.
In addition, booking one of the resort's activities (yoga, cooking classes, ..) can be somewhat difficult from time to time. Luckily, Pandanus has an excellent Guests Relations Manager who provides a solution to all of this.

Overall, We truly enjoyed our stay at the Pandanus Resort and will definitely return.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank IslandFan32
SteveMuiNe_Vietnam, General Manager at Pandanus Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Islandfan,

Thank you very much for your kind review and for staying with us during the kite surf season.

I just wanted to say one thing about your comment regarding the room. We have six room types and bungalows, but the only room type in the resort without a balcony or terrace is what we call a standard room. There are only sixteen standard rooms and they are offered to travelers on a budget. What most consider to be our basic room type is our superior room. Half of all the rooms in the hotel are superior rooms, which are larger than the standard rooms and do have balconies.

The winds will be back in November, so I hope to see you again this year with your kite surf equipment. As you know, our beach faces east and the winds that time of the year come from the north and east, so it is much more challenging than Rang Beach at Ham Tien ward, which faces to the south.

Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

Just quickly - let me recommend staying at Pandanus Beach Resort for your stay in Mui Ne.
My experience started before we even booked when the resort were offering all inclusive stays during the month of October, as we were traveling for our anniversary in November we asked and we received the all inclusive package for our 7 night stay. This included the accommodation, all meals all beverages and a service from the resorts spa per day. There was also free activities to participate in like cooking classes, beach yoga, town visits etc.
So we arrived received our towel and juice on arrival and along with our room number had all inclusive access to the resort. Our room was tropical, not modern but had what we needed as we were only going to be relaxing by the pool most days. Every night we received a rolled up parchment with a little history about Mui Ne and the surrounding areas. We discovered TaCu mountain and Buddhist temple from a nightly read and spent a day exploring, we also visited the local marketplace and saw local produce being fished from the sea, selected yummy Rambutans and walked the fairy stream.
The resort offered the GREATEST staff, welcoming and skilled with food and beverage, spa and activities. We couldn't go past the fantastic Rosslini, who spoke Filipino, Vietnamese, English, German and Russian for the regular visitors. Her family also sang 6 nights a week at the resort which was a lot of fun. Star dust band performing the best covers to make your entie night smile.
To top everything off the resort organised a special anniversary dinner for my husband and I with candles flowers and a specialised menu with chefs on staff specifically for us I was so warmed I cried to the waiter and the chef who was so proud of the work he created in the kitchen each meal he came out to see how everything was. We have great memories here and will return. Hopefully getting out to fellow Australians to travel more to Vietnam and specifically Mui Ne, there was so many German and Russian visitors we found it difficult to get to know anyone.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
0.6 km away
Sandunes Beach Resort & Spa
5.9 km away
Mui Ne Village resort and Kitesurf

Been to Pandanus Resort? Share your experiences!