“A cafe for a light meal and excellent coffee”
Review of Black Dog Cafe

Black Dog Cafe
Ranked #2 of 2 Coffee & Tea in Matakana
Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 4 March 2018

We have been here before and wanted a light lunch and good coffee so chose this place again. There is indoor and outdoor seating in a friendly relaxed environment.

Reviewed 28 February 2018

Coffee and food were good. There was a problem with the coffee and our order the second time we visited and the young girl refused to accept she was wrong. We asked to speak to the manager but we were told that there was not one. We told the girl that we would not be back again and her reply was 'fine'. The feeling we got here was the staff could not care less as they know every weekend that they will be flat out with Aucklanders visiting that they don't need customers to come back again. Generally the wait staffs' attitude left alot to be desired.

1  Thank Worldtraveller146
Reviewed 8 February 2018

New to the area, decided to give it a try, shouldn't have. The 2 coffees we ordered got made and just sat on the counter until we wondered when they were coming and found them sitting there, so warm at best. The food took nearly 20 mins to arrive, which for eggs on toast in a not busy cafe is an eternity. My wife had scrambled eggs which had no taste and were oily. I had poached eggs and bacon, which were average at best. Both were covered in balsamic vinegar, weird for eggs and decidedly unpleasant. Needless to say, won't be going back

Reviewed 28 January 2018 via mobile

Thought we would cruise in for a quick brekkie with the family given the cafe was almost empty. First 1 star I have ever given.
The one star is for how quick the coffees came out...the rest was a complete debacle. Saw a poached egg that looked like it had been boiled till the yolk was powder. Wide berth required

Reviewed 2 January 2018

I'm not even exaggerating, it resembled dry scrambled eggs more than quiche. I took 3 bites then decided I couldn't continue, seriously, can't believe I wasted $8.50. Service was slow and seemed a bit all over the place.