“Easter Sunday family lunch”
Review of Bartellas

Bartellas
Ranked #1 of 13 Restaurants in Meopham
Price range: US$17 - US$32
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: A privately owned 175 seat restaurant with cocktail lounge and bar serving Mediterranean inspired food, Bartellas is a favourite of the charming village of Meopham. Elegantly appointed in wood and sisal, clean lines and contemporary furnishings, Bartellas offers comfortable and attractive surroundings plus excellent continental service including those little touches of linen napkins, predominately round tables, complimentary still and sparkling water and bread. The recent orangery extension and private dining salon upstairs for a maximum of 24 at one table ensures that whatever the occasion, Bartellas can cater for your dining and party needs. A regular changing a la carte menu, a Sunday menu with all the traditional roasts and the prix-fixe menu available Monday to Saturday lunchtimes and early evenings Monday to Friday offer great value for money- ��10.55 for one course including a 175ml glass of wine, small beer or soft drink.
Reviewed 2 April 2018

Five of us arrived for lunch today. We were seated in the bar area and ordered drinks. Food order was taken here then we were seated at our table, which was a bit squashed. We were seated on a round table for 4. Starters appeared fairly quickly. Three of us had the mushroom starter from the GF menu and one had the mozzarella and tomato. My partner had mussels. We waited an absolute age for our main. Everyone around us was getting their mains. After what must have been a good 45 min my partner went to chase up our food order which came out quite quickly after that. I dont know what the delay was. We were given a bottle of red wine on the house due to the delay in food. We had also requested a side order, which we had to ask for again after we had all be served our main meal which was also given at no charge. Two guest had the steak, cooked med rare, one had roast beef, one had roast lamb and I had the oven baked cod. Meals were ok. My cod was a little overcooked. Steaks were average and a bit burnt looking on the outside having being cooked on a charcoal grill. My partner had the assiette of desserts, which we followed with coffee. On receiving the bill we checked that we hadnt been charged for the said items, which we hadnt but we had been charged for two bottles of merlot, and we had only had one. The bill was amended when we pointed this out.

So although we basically enjoyed the meal. The long wait, food not quite cooked as it should be and error on the bill for average food would make me think again about returning. Bartellas used to be better. We hadnt visited for a couple of years, its a shame as this restaurant used to be very good.

2  Thank JazzyKent
Eldridge79, Owner at Bartellas, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2018

Yesterday's article in The Daily Mail by that notorious hack Liz Jones must have resonated with so many but at Bartellas we offer much more than just white linen (which costs me £600 per week Liz)! We were busy busy on Sunday- why- because we are usually pretty damn good at what we do and therefore are popular. We are not serving mass catering nor Michelin star food nor are we shoehorning customers in and out whilst robbing them. We have been working our socks off over the Easter Holiday but as usual enjoyed serving hundreds of delighted customers (even the odd nutbar we get a kick from) and I was personally involved throughout in the service and payment on this one.

We generally offer our customers the option of a drink in the lounge along with a chance to look at the menu and order food. We get the right food to the right people but on occasions we're human and can make mistakes, such as this one where the mains were delayed in being called away after the starters were cleared. The gentleman, on his way to the loo, asked me if I could chase them up, which I did and his table was already the next one out from the kitchen and I explained that at the table as the mains arrived. He'd ordered a second bottle of Malbec but we'd just run out of that so I offered them a bottle of a much more expensive Renegade on me and poured then cleared the tableware debris- personally checked back too- all fine.

Later on he'd asked for the bill and paid by card- I then chatted with him at reception because there was some confusion at the table on whether he'd paid the right amount- I reassured him that whilst two bottles of Malbec were showing one of them was listed as complimentary as was the Renegade, so it was correct. He'd already paid the optional service and was keen to leave a further £20 which I suggested was unnecessary in the circumstances but he insisted on leaving it.

Hope that all helps- I'll leave others to establish whether we're better than ever but we'll always have our knockers- I'm off to mind the shop again! Ian

Reviewed 31 March 2018

Went here last night for my husband's birthday. Was very busy. Shown straight to table, coats taken. Ordered drinks after about15 minutes of waiting. Took another 15-20 before they came, after a nod to the waiter. Had to ask to order food. Order taken very rushed, tried to leave the table before we finished ordering, had to call him back to ask about accompaniments. Was told no veg with meal, so ordered extra potatoes,chips etc. Starters came after about 20 mins they were nice. Dinner was virtually slung onto table and waiter disappeared. No condiments were offered, I had to get from another table. Would have liked some sauces but no one around to ask. Veg came out in stages. Fillet steak was dry and a bit tough.horse radish cream was a pile of mash with horse radish in. So we didn't need the extra potatoes in the end. The assiet of puddings had changes to them, not mentioned when ordering. Expensive meal. Very poor service. Not worth the extra charges paid. So disappointed.

3  Thank KentMumma
Eldridge79, Owner at Bartellas, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2018

Sad to read particularly as on previous occasions the member had been suitably impressed though hadn't been to us for quite some time- we're in touch and hope to encourage her back for us to make amends. Yes the place was crazy busy on Good Friday night, this group of six had turned up early for their table but there simply wasn't any room in the lounge for them to enjoy a drink before dinner. I suggested they came straight through to a large round table which I had assigned for another. There probably was a small wait time for the drinks but I don't recall anything like 15 to 20 minutes. Still, no excuse for our sub standard subsequent service and in the circumstances we shouldn't have added the optional service charge, which they paid, but I was unaware of their displeasure at the time. Certainly ate and drank well so hope they'll be back! Ian

Reviewed 28 March 2018

Took my mum and wife and family members : after arriving early we sat in the bar area and waited for the rest of my family to arrive . We had drinks and were very looked after.
Once everyone was there we were shown upstairs to our table . After ordering drinks we all had starters from the prawns to the crayfish and the Peking duck , which everyone said how good it tasted and our well it was presented. For the mains I had the ribeye and my mum had the roast , to the sea bream . Overall the food was excellent and the waiter really looked after us all .

3  Thank andycox44
Eldridge79, Owner at Bartellas, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2018

Thanks Andy for your kind comments- pleased the room worked well for your Mum and the family and that Nico looked after you all diligently. Regards, Ian

Reviewed 26 March 2018 via mobile

My father-in-law chose Bartella's for his 60th birthday specifically for their extensive vegan menu to cater for me and my wife. We'd looked at the menu in advance and everything sounded fantastic. Unfortunately we found the food to be bland, lazily put together and overpriced.

Our starter was described on the menu as "chilli, garlic and coriander hummus with Lebanese flatbread" - which sounds amazing! What we were brought was watery, plain hummus and three slices of a bagett, probably the least flat of all the breads. Oh, and an olive on top. For six quid! Maybe they'd run out of good hummus and flatbread, I don't know, but it's unacceptable to try and pass that off as what was described on the menu. We complained to the waiter who brought us some garlic bread instead, which was delicious.

For the mains I ordered the vegan pizza (£10.50) and my wife ordered a Moroccan chickpea and kale cassoulet (£14.25). Both were about as bland as the hummus. According to the menu my pizza should have contained basil, which it definitely didn't. Since there was no vegan cheese or cheese-like substitute the pizza would have benefited from some seasoning in the tomato sauce. The pizza base was well cooked and very tasty but the lack of flavour let it down. The toppings of artichokes, asparagus and vine tomatoes had been strewn across the pizza in a rather haphazard manner and made it feel like no care had been taken in the preparation.

My wife's cassoulet was similarly lazy and lacking in flavour. I only tried a mouthful but the rice was undercooked and hard, the tomato sauce was watery and the chickpeas a bit stodgy. There was no seasoning whatsoever - the least Moroccan thing I've ever eaten!

Other family members all had meat based meals and seemed to enjoy them, so it left me thinking that either the chefs don't know how to season sauces and vegetables - relying solely on the meat for flavour - or they purposefully don't put any effort into the vegan meals, which is unacceptable if you offer a vegan menu. It's such a shame because the ambiance of the restaurant is quite nice and the staff were friendly and helpful. Anyway, I wouldn't recommend it, there's better quality food at cheaper prices available elsewhere.

3  Thank Ben T
Eldridge79, Owner at Bartellas, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2018

Sorry we failed to please on your vegan choices Saturday night Ben. I was on duty throughout and was aware of our mistake and the lack of flatbread which was speedily resolved. Normally our extensive vegan menu and the fact we have one receives rave reviews but your comments have helpfully prompted me to check out what we offer. Of course you can dine cheaper and probably for vegans better elsewhere but we did accommodate 13 of you at short notice on a busy Saturday across one large round table, kids pizze, no desserts ordered but two cakes presented and served- most places charge extra for that. 4 of the mains were actually fish dishes, not all meat based, so we clearly got many things right in the kitchen but sadly not yours. I guess we had probably hacked you off with the hummus which then promoted you to critique the rest of your food- you won't be back or be recommending us, that's your prerogative but no need to unfairly slag us off. Regards, Ian

Reviewed 24 March 2018 via mobile

What a find!! We were greeted by lovely friendly faces, very attentive staff, and wonderful food. The restaurant had a lovely atmosphere, great decor & was clean. The menu choice was excellent as was the wine & cocktail list. It is extremely unusual to get everything you want from a restaurant nowadays so for us we have found a little gem.
Can’t wait to return

3  Thank Shelley H
Eldridge79, Owner at Bartellas, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2018

Delighted you have discovered us and so close to home too. Regards, Ian